Release date: 2003

01. Intro (Hellraiser III)
02. Psychopathology Orchestra
03. Children Of Living Death
04. 665 ' Symphony
05. Slashers
06. It's Time To Kill
07. 667 ' Symphony

Have you ever heard of a band that plays electro-classical death metal? No? I didn't think so. Apart from being absolutely unique, this project of one of the members of the French black metal band Astaarth, which has only been released on CD-R and on a private french metal forum, is also the weirdest album I have ever heard.

Here really basic oldschool death metal has been infused with techno beats, a bit grindcore, some neo-classical guitaring and some classical music, not to forget the occasional weird sound. Vocals are rare on this CD, when they appear though, they do so in the form of black metallish growling, sometimes they kind of resemble a pig as well though. A lot of the classical music on this album also sounds very synthish.

There are a few really brilliant sections on this album, especially the ones which are mainly death metal but with a very neo-classical-sounding guitar. Yet on some other sections the music becomes hard to bear because of all the electro music, which often appears in the guise of very shrill tones.

Apart from the mixing of genres which couldn't be more different from each other, there is one other big contrast on this CD. Namely that some parts of the music are delightfully progressive, and like-wise impressive, but that other parts sounds as if they were made with pc-programs like Guitar Pro and made absolutely randomly, actually I'm quite sure that they were.

As much as the music conflicts with itself on the album, my opinion of it does so too. On one hand there are a lot of parts which simply annoy me, on the other though, this album is fascinating in my opinion. So if you think you can handle the chaotic spirit of this CD, as well as the abundant electro-elements and you like very original and special music, then checking this project out is an absolute must, if not, do yourself a favour and stay away from it.

Favourite track: 665' Symphony and 667' Symphony

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 10
Production: 5

Written by Bas | 04.06.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 17 users
06.06.2007 - 21:32
Baz Anderson

sounds interesting of course.. but if the music really is worth listening to I think it's stupid that it was never released as a normal album and only over a forum
11.06.2007 - 23:40
ylside

Didn't fully listen but the tracks I heard were quite great. I must say the production is well done, and some very interesting keyboard parts here and there ! I recommend that to anyone looking for experimental stuff !
16.08.2011 - 01:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Listening to a track from this on Youtube at the moment. This stuff is mental, the weirdest death metal I've heard in ages o.0 Good though. If only more death metal bands tried new things every now and then. Experimental death metal is an absolute bitch to find.
16.08.2011 - 02:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 16.08.2011 at 01:15

Listening to a track from this on Youtube at the moment. This stuff is mental, the weirdest death metal I've heard in ages o.0 Good though. If only more death metal bands tried new things every now and then. Experimental death metal is an absolute bitch to find.

Check out Avicularia then. Reviewed them a couple years back.

http://metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=7199
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.08.2011 - 02:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 16.08.2011 at 02:08

Written by Guest on 16.08.2011 at 01:15

Check out Avicularia then. Reviewed them a couple years back.

http://metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=7199

Youtube tracks sound great... despite that 38% review on metal archives haha. So that's two unique sounding death bands in one night. Usually takes me aboout two years to meet that quota, cheers!

Hits total: 3898 | This month: 6