Metal Storm logo
Roadburn Festival 2020 - Announce Curators, Commissioned Music And First Acts

For those eager to take the Roadburn pilgrimage once again, the poster by Dutch artist Douwe Dijkstra, and dates for the 2020 edition were made public while the 2019 edition was ongoing, but it is only now that we get some confirmed acts, including two curators and three commissioned performances.

This year Roadburn will have not one, but two curators which will handpick part of the lineup. These will be Emma Ruth Rundle, whose contribution will be called Gilded Cage, and James Kent (of Perturbator).

James Kent will also join forces with Cult Of Luna's Johannes Persson for a commissioned performance of a yet unmentioned kind. Also of a collaborative type, we have A Hymn Of Loss And Hope courtesy of Bismuth and Vile Creature. We also have Jo Quail who will present The Cartographer along with the Rotterdam New Trombone Collective.

Not a commissioned act nor a curator but still important news is Julie Christmas's set.

Tickets will go on sale on the 24th of September, but their price is yet undisclosed.

Source: roadburn.com
Event: Roadburn 2021
Posted: 20.08.2019 by RaduP

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 39   Visited by: 75 users
20.08.2019 - 17:54
Maco
Pvt Funderground
My guess is that they'll bring even less interesting bands this time.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
20.08.2019 - 20:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
This is the first year where I'm yawning a little bit. It seems too recycled from the previous two line-ups with ERR, Julie Christmas, Bismuth and Cult Of Luna.
All GREAT artists, mind you... But it's not new and that as the main point of Roadburn for me.

With that said, I'm most likely still gonna go anyways because the atmosphere, organisation, venues, people, staff, etc makes it STILL one of the best festivals ever.

Julie Christmas playing along with members of Cult Of Luna and Kylesa is fucking awesome though and you gotta be pretty stupid not to appreciate the opportunity.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.08.2019 - 20:48
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.08.2019 at 20:22

This is the first year where I'm yawning a little bit. It seems too recycled from the previous two line-ups with ERR, Julie Christmas, Bismuth and Cult Of Luna.
All GREAT artists, mind you... But it's not new and that as the main point of Roadburn for me.

With that said, I'm most likely still gonna go anyways because the atmosphere, organisation, venues, people, staff, etc makes it STILL one of the best festivals ever.

Julie Christmas playing along with members of Cult Of Luna and Kylesa is fucking awesome though and you gotta be pretty stupid not to appreciate the opportunity.

They're probably announcing the "returning" artists first because those are probably closer in contact with Roadburn staff, more new stuff will come down the way for certain
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
20.08.2019 - 22:34
musclassia

This is a promising start, a lot of stuff that's fairly up my street
20.08.2019 - 22:44
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by musclassia on 20.08.2019 at 22:34

JOIN US
JOIN US
JOIN US
JOIN US
----
21.08.2019 - 00:13
Darkside Momo
Retired
A Perturbator + Cult Of Luna (sort of) collab should be interesting!
Same for the new Jo Quail...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
21.08.2019 - 00:40
musclassia

Written by RaduP on 20.08.2019 at 22:44

Written by musclassia on 20.08.2019 at 22:34

JOIN US
JOIN US
JOIN US
JOIN US

Festivals next year is gonna be stiff competition, ArcTanGent this last weekend was amazing so very interested in going there next year, and Bloodstock might finally have a worthy lineup if they do get Mercyful Fate headlining. Roadburn would be good to come back to though
21.08.2019 - 09:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Darkside Momo on 21.08.2019 at 00:13

As a fan of the former and a hater of the latter, I'm interested to see just how much that assumed trainwreck will either meet or betray my expectations. Not that I'll be attending, so I'll have to verify my assumptions via Youtube...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.08.2019 - 10:13
baldur

Julie christmas and cult of luna at roadburn !?!?! Smells like a performance of the whole mariner album to me.
21.08.2019 - 10:31
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by baldur on 21.08.2019 at 10:13

Julie christmas and cult of luna at roadburn !?!?! Smells like a performance of the whole mariner album to me.

They already did that
----
21.08.2019 - 11:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.08.2019 at 09:55

Written by Darkside Momo on 21.08.2019 at 00:13

As a fan of the former and a hater of the latter

For some reason I thought you likes Cult Of Luna.
----
Rod, let me love you.
21.08.2019 - 11:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.08.2019 at 11:02

I definitely did, when I was like fucking 12 years old
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.08.2019 - 12:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.08.2019 at 11:18

You hurt me, My love. Why you do this.
----
Rod, let me love you.
21.08.2019 - 12:32
Mercurial

As someone on a massive CoL rediscovery stint after seeing them enter my top 3 live bands, I can't imagine they could ever enter the "I can't believe I ever liked this" category. They're as good now as they've always been.
21.08.2019 - 14:01
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Mercurial on 21.08.2019 at 12:32

They're as good now as they've always been.

I gotta disagree: they're much better now than they were ten years ago
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.08.2019 at 11:18

you should revisit their more recent works (namely Vertikal and Mariner) if you haven't already
----

I am awake"
21.08.2019 - 14:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Darkside Momo on 21.08.2019 at 14:01
you should revisit their more recent works (namely Vertikal and Mariner) if you haven't already

You ask a lot of me Momo, but I'll take your words into consideration.
----
21.08.2019 - 14:27
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.08.2019 at 14:11

You ask a lot of me Momo, but I'll take your words into consideration.

tbh, I now don't listen to anything they did before "Somewhere Along The Highway" as they really got better after that one
----

I am awake"
21.08.2019 - 14:28
Mercurial

Well I've rinsed the new single a good 10 times now, so at any rate, I'm not sure they're capable of anything less than very good albums at this point =3
21.08.2019 - 15:26
Desha
delicious dish
Really nothing on here that remotely interests me... I really hope this time the other bands are going to be interesting, I don't want ot skip another year...
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
21.08.2019 - 15:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Desha on 21.08.2019 at 15:26

Really nothing on here that remotely interests me... I really hope this time the other bands are going to be interesting, I don't want ot skip another year...

What exactly are you wishing for? Cuz to me line ups like ERR and Cult of Luna are typically Roadburn material so I cant imagine what you are searching besides stoner/doom/sludge which the festival had aplenty back in... 2013. :/
----
Rod, let me love you.
21.08.2019 - 17:37
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Mercurial on 21.08.2019 at 14:28

Well I've rinsed the new single a good 10 times now, so at any rate, I'm not sure they're capable of anything less than very good albums at this point =3

Well I'm not there yet but I'm certainly hyped for the new album ^^
----

I am awake"
21.08.2019 - 17:39
Desha
delicious dish
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.08.2019 at 15:49

Written by Desha on 21.08.2019 at 15:26

What exactly are you wishing for? Cuz to me line ups like ERR and Cult of Luna are typically Roadburn material so I cant imagine what you are searching besides stoner/doom/sludge which the festival had aplenty back in... 2013. :/

Well partly it's because this is like the 5th time in a row now that ERR is there and Cult of Luna are kind of representative of the stale post metal I don't like. Dunno, some more doom or black metal maybe. I'm probably just spoiled after 2017 and 2018, but I'll wait and see for the smaller additions. Didn't really care for curator and mainliners either the two times I was there, so let's hope the next two announcements have something for me. Just scared it will be like last time and there would be nothing for me.
----
21.08.2019 - 17:48
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Desha on 21.08.2019 at 17:39

Well partly it's because this is like the 5th time in a row now that ERR is there and Cult of Luna are kind of representative of the stale post metal I don't like. Dunno, some more doom or black metal maybe. I'm probably just spoiled after 2017 and 2018, but I'll wait and see for the smaller additions. Didn't really care for curator and mainliners either the two times I was there, so let's hope the next two announcements have something for me. Just scared it will be like last time and there would be nothing for me.

Now I really hope there's nothing for you
----
21.08.2019 - 17:57
Desha
delicious dish
Written by RaduP on 21.08.2019 at 17:48

Now I really hope there's nothing for you

rude >:(
----
21.08.2019 - 18:20
mz

Cant decide if I want to spend a few days of my vacations that will be left for me on this or visiting Chernobyl+Auschwitz.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
21.08.2019 - 18:29
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by mz on 21.08.2019 at 18:20

Cant decide if I want to spend a few days of my vacations that will be left for me on this or visiting Chernobyl+Auschwitz.

Visit Chernobyl after the hype from the show dies down
----
21.08.2019 - 19:30
Desha
delicious dish
Written by mz on 21.08.2019 at 18:20

Auschwitz.

Really depends what kind of vacation you're having tbh. Cause that's a big downer and also you should really take your time with it. It's not just a sightseeing location after all.
----
21.08.2019 - 20:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

5th? Ive been in roadburn for almost a decade in a row. And it's At most three times in two non-consecutive years. She played an acoustic set once a few years back then she didnt return till last year with a regular set and another one in collaboration with Thou.

Even if she did play 5 years in a row she only became really popular last year cuz previously she covered the smallest of stages. And it's Still one slot out of the many MANY others.
I can not say anything about COL cuz it goes down to personal tastes. But I just find weird that you need more black metal when last year there was a whole day dedicated to dutch black metal.

(" but i dun lik dat bm") :p

Roadburn has done so much doom and black during the 2011-2015 period that Im more than ok with the line-up covering other genres.
----
Rod, let me love you.
21.08.2019 - 20:48
Desha
delicious dish
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.08.2019 at 20:02

5th? Ive been in roadburn for almost a decade in a row. And it's At most three times in two non-consecutive years. She played an acoustic set once a few years back then she didnt return till last year with a regular set and another one in collaboration with Thou.

Even if she did play 5 years in a row she only became really popular last year cuz previously she covered the smallest of stages. And it's Still one slot out of the many MANY others.
I can not say anything about COL cuz it goes down to personal tastes. But I just find weird that you need more black metal when last year there was a whole day dedicated to dutch black metal.

(" but i dun lik dat bm") :p

Roadburn has done so much doom and black during the 2011-2015 period that Im more than ok with the line-up covering other genres.

... that 5 was a hyperbole, calm down. But I think it might be the third time, with how much I've heard that name now. My problem is also not her in particular really.

Of course it comes down to personal taste. And it's great, that there was a whole day for dutch bm, but I didn't really find any of that out with the advertising they did, and paying a few hundred euros, losing a few days and having to travel a while to see bands I have never heard of is just not feasible for me. That's not to say I don't appreciate going into new stuff (I found a bunch of great stuff by going to performances of bands I didn't know before), but last year almost every bigger band there just screamed "I don't care" to me. I just don't have the financial luxury to go just because it's roadburn (especially since I don't even like festivals in general, I literally just went there twice for music I like). Spending so much money and time on a treat that turns out to be worse than having stayed at home is... yeah.

You can find that single-minded as much as you like, but I just like things I like, and in the end yes that's what it comes down to.

For your last point: I wasn't there or aware of the lineups 2011-2015, so that really doesn't matter to me.

But hey, in the end it doesn't matter. I can always wait for a band I like to tour germany once every 5 years and drive to a single performance 3h or something. How dare I feel a bit let down about a lineup of something I cared about, right? Fuck me ig.
----
21.08.2019 - 21:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Cult Of Luna.

I was so out of it last night I read this as Lacuna Coil...

What a facepalm moment.
----

Hits total: 2123 | This month: 7