01. Vanitas
02. Altars Of Azrael
03. Godspeed Angel Of Death
04. Upon The Pale Horse
05. Parcae - Trinity Of Fates
06. Mors Vincit Omnia
07. Funeral Begotten
08. Tempus Fugit

This is the black metal equivalent of an amusement park haunted house and you'll either hate it or love it for that reason.

Now, considering their lack of popularity, even in some pretty elitist black metal circles, you may be wondering exactly what or who Crimson Moon is. Initially an American black metal outfit started in the early 90s, they soon moved their base of operations all the way to Germany, lying dormant for years and undergoing headache-inducing levels of lineup changes before finally settling on the current formation, capable of performing live since 2017 for the first time in a decade. They've been sparsely active over the duration of their existence as a band, quietly releasing more demos and compilations than new full-length material, but that should only serve to score them some cool points for fans of that true underground cult stuff.

Musically, Crimson Moon fits neatly within the mold of occult black metal, utilizing choir-like chants and forming a dark atmospheric foundation to augment the straightforward aggression, a style that all but beats you over the head on this album. It would be fair to label them symphonic purely based on the keyboard work, for those who think a symphony and an organ (keyboard) are the same thing, but this is far from Bal-Sagoth or Carach Angren territory. It's more so an added element into the mix, much like their brief melodies.

Mors Vincit Omnia may not be the new release that suddenly launches these guys into a world of fortune and fame, but it's about as respectable and worthy of intrigue as any Nightbringer release. Plus there's a dirge-like outro befitting a somber scene in The Addams Family for a couple minutes before straying the path into whispering over bells... so... that's something. It's far from new or groundbreaking material, but it's clearly thoughtful in its approach. The melodies and riffs are standard black metal fodder, about as innovative as any third-tier band trying to pay homage to or recreate the sounds of their favorite black metal guitarists from the '90s, and it tends to meander as the focus seems aimed at creating that sort of "unholy" atmosphere. The production suits that goal perfectly, giving the buzzing guitars a comforting warmth, but highlighting the too-spooky-for-me incantations over the music pushes it beyond serious and into silly territory after a while. That said, the keyboard sections are excellent, and the drumming is surprisingly playful, which helps break up and distract from the awkward sections. The problem is for every positive, a negative is quick to follow.

If the same energy featured on "Vanitas" remained for the rest of the album, then this may have been something to discuss. Unfortunately, it descends quickly into unintentional self-mockery, but there are plenty of strengths with which to build on for future releases. After 25 years, however, it doesn't seem likely there will be any grand epiphanies regarding song structuring, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. This works as a solid cheesy-but-true kind of black metal album though, so there's probably a market for it. Somewhere. Just not here with me.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written on 19.09.2019 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 57 users
19.09.2019 - 10:01
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
I remember giving this a background spin a few days ago and finding it pretty decent. The album's title is pretty cool though and it does indeed sound better in Latin than it would in English.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
19.09.2019 - 10:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Nice review
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.09.2019 - 10:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by RaduP on 19.09.2019 at 10:01
I remember giving this a background spin a few days ago and finding it pretty decent. The album's title is pretty cool though and it does indeed sound better in Latin than it would in English.

Pretty decent is pretty much exactly where my 6 - 6.7 scores fall so in that we agree.

As for the title... I'm assuming if I say it three times in front of a mirror it opens up a portal to Hell and I get sucked in to suffer an eternity of torture and punishment.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.09.2019 - 10:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Bad English on 19.09.2019 at 10:06
Nice review

Thanks my friend, there's plenty more coming.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.09.2019 - 10:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.09.2019 at 10:07

Written by Bad English on 19.09.2019 at 10:06
Nice review

Thanks my friend, there's plenty more coming.

I hope my kind a bands :p
----

apos;'
[image]
19.09.2019 - 10:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Bad English on 19.09.2019 at 10:19

There's some stuff for you, though most of the new stuff I've been listening to has been fairly average.
----
19.09.2019 - 10:32
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.09.2019 at 10:32

most of the new stuff I've been listening to has been fairly average.

Then why did you bother?
----
19.09.2019 - 10:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.09.2019 at 10:32

Written by Bad English on 19.09.2019 at 10:19

There's some stuff for you, though most of the new stuff I've been listening to has been fairly average.

depends what is new stuff?
----

apos;'
[image]
19.09.2019 - 11:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by RaduP on 19.09.2019 at 10:32
Then why did you bother?

Because it's new material to analyze; I don't just review stuff I like. Maybe this album (or any other I review) doesn't generate any interest and it rates low in overall hits and nobody comments on it, but that's not going to stop me from posting my opinion -- whether positive or negative. It's like watching a new movie or series. If the interest is there, I give it a chance. But an opinion shouldn't only be shared if it's positive.
----
19.09.2019 - 11:26
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.09.2019 at 11:16

But an opinion shouldn't only be shared if it's positive.

Of course not. But I'd rather tell the world about some album I liked and I want people to listen to than shout "Hey, look at this album! It's average and doesn't stand out!"
----
19.09.2019 - 11:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by RaduP on 19.09.2019 at 11:26
Of course not. But I'd rather tell the world about some album I liked and I want people to listen to than shout "Hey, look at this album! It's average and doesn't stand out!"

The nature of reviewing, my friend. As it stands, most albums I want to tell people about were released before 2010. With my time away from the site/metal scene in general, I was hoping to come back and find some gems. I found a couple 8-worthy releases from 2018 but so far my ventures into 2019 are disappointing, though I have much exploring left.

In my spare reviewing time I've written about some of those "look at this album" (most recently, for instance, Agalloch's White EP which is one of my all-time favorite releases regardless of genre). It's about balance. But my 6.5 might be someone else's 10/10, and even bringing the album to attention due to front page exposure might help a band make new fans, which makes it all worth it for me.
----

Hits total: 1800 | This month: 12