Metal Storm logo
Alcest

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 26.05.2006 - 15:44
Ressurecting another thread from the old forum. Alcest deserve one for themselves!

Discuss the band, or anything that deals with the band. I'll start:

Anyone that knows something about this band, music label, still active, that sort of things? I only know they are from France, but that's all.
27.06.2011 - 15:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 27.06.2011 at 15:35

Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.06.2011 at 15:23

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.06.2011 at 10:25

They were mind numbingly boring at Roadburn. Even more sleep inducing than on album.

Dude, I'm starting to believe some of your posts aren't written by you but just by a computer that you programmed to say the same shit over and over again when said topic is posted by x user. Even if you don't mean to, your program sucks big time since it posts the same goddamn thing every single time I wrote about Alcest at Roadburn, I got the message dude. Tell your program to fuck off

I suspect it's an old program that is incompatible with modern systems ;]

Yeah it is, it runs on an Apple II+ and was written in Basic and has this annoying loop in it
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.07.2011 - 11:54
Uldreth

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.06.2011 at 10:25

They were mind numbingly boring at Roadburn. Even more sleep inducing than on album.

Interestingly, I do not correlate sleep inducing with boring.

I have always found Alcest to be sleep inducing but never boring.
13.11.2011 - 16:43
Alphafemale

Love Alcest and Les Discrets...my fav new findings
----
'Proud forest rises towards the sky,
in awe I stand silent
Green path of life amalgamates
With my own belief'
16.11.2011 - 17:31
EchoMetal

3 days ago ,i listend your concert in Zhengzhou of you Chinese Tour,I'm Echo, Ilike your music very much.Hope you enjoy the tour .
----
I'm a Chinese girl and I like metal music very much.Through here has not many metalheads ,I still love it.I hope can meet more people who likes music here .I think we can warm each other .Life is too short.
17.11.2011 - 07:52
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I'm really looking forward to the new release. I hate that the U.S. has to wait 20 or 30 days for a lot of European releases though.
24.11.2011 - 08:09
DevouredByAbyss

I love Alcest music, the Niege music introduce my in the world of Black.
----
Lord of abyss, you are more powerful is thousand suns, you are more terrible a infinite deaths. I will see the heaven lit by burst; I will see the glory burn in infernal flames.

Rockers Go to Hell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39GILx56cV8

The Emperor
24.11.2011 - 08:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
If Alcest is what introduced you to black metal then I'm going to tell you straight up you're starting in all the wrong places. And that's coming from a huge fan of what Neige has been doing.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.11.2011 - 14:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.11.2011 at 08:20

If Alcest is what introduced you to black metal then I'm going to tell you straight up you're starting in all the wrong places. And that's coming from a huge fan of what Neige has been doing.

I dunno, 90% of 2011's black metal releases seem to be of that namby pamby, Alcestian "black" variety. You could probably survive on a diet of just that nowadays there's so much of it.
24.11.2011 - 16:43
Ag Fox
Angel No More

it was Amesoeurs that introduced me to BM =P
----
loves 小巫
24.11.2011 - 17:10
Oaken
Hipster
The intro to "Percees De Lumiere" is just unforgettable. One of the best arpeggios on the face of earth.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
24.11.2011 - 17:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Quote:
Written by Ag Fox on 24.11.2011 at 16:43
it was Amesoeurs that introduced me to BM =P

Chopin introduced me to grindcore.
You see... it's pretty much the same thing
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.11.2011 - 17:13
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I do think Amesoeurs is more BM than Alcest o.o (excluding the latest maybe)
----
loves 小巫
24.11.2011 - 17:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
No way, even Alcest debut has more black than Amesoeur stuff which is mega popy/crust. And when it comes to discographies as a whole Alcest still wins when you think about the demos, Le Secret and some stuff of their latest.
----
Rod, let me love you.
24.11.2011 - 17:37
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I've never touched the Demos at all, but I do love Le Secret and like Souvenirs D'Un Autre Monde significantly less. I dunno... but Amesoeurs is my first experience with more extreme vocals, so perhaps the impact on me is way higher. I still think the hopeless despair I felt when I first listened to Ruines Humaines hard to replicate. I know nothing about crust or Post Punk or even much about BM, but calling Amesoeurs mega poppy is just not something I would agree with.

I won't even think about whether Alcest or Amesoeurs is better, because I look for different things when listening to those two bands.
----
loves 小巫
24.11.2011 - 17:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Ag Fox on 24.11.2011 at 17:37
but calling Amesoeurs mega poppy is just not something I would agree with.

Les Ruches Malades
Faux Semblants
Video Girl
La Reine Trayeuse
Amesoeurs
Faiblesse Des Sens

All those songs (6 out of 14 of their small discography) have a huge load of pop on them.... Not to say that is bad though, I really like their music... Maybe the mega wasn't necessary but they sure as hell are poppy songs. Let's call a spade a spade...
----
Rod, let me love you.
24.11.2011 - 18:22
DevouredByAbyss

I agree with you Ag Fox, the Black music is not only brutal and aggressive, exist also the Black music quiet and reflexive. I love the Norwegian Black and most extreme forms of Black and Death, but also want the deep shadows and some quiet music is very Dark and Evil. If would you like listen the music of Elend, is very strong music although, is appeased and soft, the voice in some sings of Elend is very aggressive gutturals full of hate. See the link in my signature The Emperor.
----
Lord of abyss, you are more powerful is thousand suns, you are more terrible a infinite deaths. I will see the heaven lit by burst; I will see the glory burn in infernal flames.

Rockers Go to Hell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39GILx56cV8

The Emperor
24.11.2011 - 20:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 24.11.2011 at 14:09
I dunno, 90% of 2011's black metal releases seem to be of that namby pamby, Alcestian "black" variety. You could probably survive on a diet of just that nowadays there's so much of it.

Oh I agree for sure, I just meant that the "Alcest path" isn't really a good one to take if you're looking for black metal. I love the atmo-black and post-rock/shoegaze-influenced stuff, but I feel like people are missing out on bands that are still more...true to the original form. I dunno, I find it weird that people are all wahoo I listen to black metal, like Alcest and Lantlos, when there are bands like Deathspell Omega out there.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.11.2011 - 11:48
Slayer666

Hm? How so?

(I know he prolly meant newer Alcest, but just wanted the chance to put this there, surprisingly good for a first demo, I'd say)
25.11.2011 - 18:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Oh for sure his early stuff is definitely black metal, but not many people start with the EP (and not many people listen to demos aside from Marcel).
----
27.11.2011 - 06:31
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Just ordered Le Secret
02.06.2012 - 23:14
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Alcest and anything "associated" with the band (Lantlos, Les Discrets, Liam) is the best music on the planet right now.
----
rekt
03.06.2012 - 07:52
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 02.06.2012 at 23:14

Alcest and anything "associated" with the band (Lantlos, Les Discrets, Liam) is the best music on the planet right now.

Definitely all good stuff. I got to see Alcest live with Deafheaven a couple months ago and it was incredible.
03.06.2012 - 18:02
Darkfiber

You should change your name to hi[p]ster

...just kidding.
03.06.2012 - 18:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Darkfiber on 03.06.2012 at 18:02
You should change your name to hi[p]ster

/instant rimshot

----
03.06.2012 - 18:48
Uldreth

Well it's good and I love it and stuff but I also have to admit this entire blackgaze shiznit is very stale and gets old kinda fast. Looking at the latest Alcest album (which I nontheless liked very much) and seeing how many sideprojects Neige has, it looks like his creativity is starting to drain as well.

Semi-OT: I am planning on buying Lantlos' debut, how does it compare to Alcest?
04.06.2012 - 19:52
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Uldreth on 03.06.2012 at 18:48

Semi-OT: I am planning on buying Lantlos' debut, how does it compare to Alcest?

Not very close. It's a lot more black metal influenced and it's more "violent", contrary to Alcest's dreamy feel.
But buy it, it's great.