05. Be All Things
06. Erde
07. When Anger Turns To Honey
08. Dirt Universe
09. Little Grave
10. Preface To A Dream Play
11. Highway
12. The Storm

To go north, you must journey south, to reach the west you must go east. To go forward you must go back and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow.

And Chelsea Wolfe does go back. After her doom laden and distortion thick Abyss and Hiss Spun which have gotten her even more admiration from the metal crowd, it would've been natural for her to capitalize on the momentum and go into even doomier territories. That is not what happens on Birth Of Violence. After a retreat into seclusion to write and record the album, she reconnected with her folk roots, stripping away the industrial and murky riff behemoth that drowned her last albums. Backpedaling? Pretty much. Worthwhile? Absolutely.

Of course you can count me among those who were curious how she could build upon the sludgy sound crafted on Hiss Spun. I liked the singles that were released prior to the album, but I noticed the shedding of the skin that happened in the meantime. And indeed, the full listen confirmed my "fears", and I probably would've been more disappointed if the execution wasn't as spectacular as it is now. Of course that with the more folky sound, this does make the entire thing more stripped back, but don't expect it to sound like the usual one-singer-one-guitar folk albums. There are still plenty of layers of ambiance and some other instruments like drums to make the entire thing feel a lot more hypnotizing than it already was. Carefully layered and with a great production, the melancholic vibe of the sound is perfectly maintained with just enough rays of hope through the American darkness.

The great soundscape that the album has only goes so much, but it's Wolfe's voice that carries the record. Melancholic and ethereal, it's hard not to get mesmerized. But the oppressive atmosphere is still there, so much so that even with relatively catchy songs like "Deranged For Rock 'N' Roll" (who would've expected to ever hear a Chelsea Wolfe song with that name) or "Be All Things", the record still feels extremely inhospitable and will only reveal its secrets to those with a bit more patience. Even with it being more stripped back, the entire sound still feels like some maximalist folk. So much so that sometimes I wish it would've toned down a bit on the noisy background and just let the voice and guitars play in damn peace, so that it would feel as intimate as some of these songs need to feel, and the moments where that is the case feel strangely blissful. And with such a consistent melancholic mood throughout the album, I can't really make the connection with the album's title, a few other tracks I would've chosen to be the title track instead.

It's hard to tell what is in store now for Chelsea Wolfe. Will this just be a slight detour? Will she go even folkier? Will she start an indie folk band? Synthpop? But it is certain that she did pass beneath the shadow.

Written on 23.09.2019 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 153 users
23.09.2019 - 19:07
Rating: 7
musclassia
staff
To repeat what I said under your Earth review:

Written by musclassia on 08.06.2019 at 22:18

"To touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow"

Nerd

I like the first song in the Bandcamp embed, but Chelsea Wolfe has always been a 'this is nice' but not 'this is great' thing for me, so not sure how enthusiastic I'll be about the whole thing
23.09.2019 - 19:08
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Written by musclassia on 23.09.2019 at 19:07

I like the first song in the Bandcamp embed, but Chelsea Wolfe has always been a 'this is nice' but not 'this is great' thing for me, so not sure how enthusiastic I'll be about the whole thing

It will probably also be "this is nice"
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
25.09.2019 - 05:52
Rating: 8
Lord Slothrop
I agree with you that the execution of the album is spectacular. While I enjoyed her last two more, I think this one is amazing. I expected to be disappointed with her detour into a more folky sound, perhaps fearful that her signature ambience would be lost in the more stripped down approach, but I wasn't. And if this is the path she continues upon, I'm ok with that.
28.09.2019 - 15:53
nikarg
staff
Half the songs would have made a more fitting album title; I'd go for American Darkness. Amazing voice, melancholic music, fantastic sound. Nothing metal about it, and very different from her previous two albums, but whatever Chelsea does is full of soul.
28.09.2019 - 19:10
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Written by nikarg on 28.09.2019 at 15:53

Half the songs would have made a more fitting album title; I'd go for American Darkness. Amazing voice, melancholic music, fantastic sound. Nothing metal about it, and very different from her previous two albums, but whatever Chelsea does is full of soul.

American Darkness would've fitted so much better
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?

Hits total: 3002 | This month: 7