03. Spearhead
04. Kali Yuga Crown
05. Pestilence Shall Come
06. Caesar
07. Wells Of Poison Water
08. Majesty Enshrined
09. With Conviction
10. Death In Magic Antagonism

Listening to an Advent Sorrow album is agreeing to travel a desolate path of apocalyptic destruction, but that's exactly what you came here for.

With the release of As All Light Leaves Her back in 2015 -- a dismal foray into the psyche of the morbidly deranged and mentally unhinged -- this indie outfit from Australia captured the attention of black metal fans across the spectrum. It marked a significant deviation in terms of style, all but abandoning their symphonic origins in favor of a self-described torturous approach, blending soulful, raw riffs with a harrowing and smothering atmosphere. Its dark and suffocating tone overwhelmed the senses while beautiful, sweeping melodies carried you off into delusional self-loathing nightmares of isolation and regret. Kali Yuga Crown is a continuation of that foundation, expanding on the overall theme of dread and dismay with independent compositions pulling from all sorts of external influences. As we near the end of the final stage in the cycle of yugas, Advent Sorrow plan to leave us with a soundtrack of our doom.

Not only is this album rife with some brilliant, epic melodies that would make Amon Amarth jealous, its eerie buildups rival that of early Katatonia, though both are cloaked in the typical black metal shroud. Vocalist Rhys King does his best Kvarforth impression at times (without all the gimmicky awkwardness and silly ranting and raving) and brings with him an added tool of incredibly beastly growls. It's a rather sobering experience given it's grounded in this emotionally-charged place, which is a credit to their songwriting prowess, as they keep all hints of their direction on the sidelines in order to keep you guessing what follows next. It's quite clever in comparison to the conventionally standard black metal fodder floating around everywhere these days.

There's an obvious cohesion across this release but every song manages to stand on its own two feet, with varying tempos, moods, and accessibility. It all fits together like a puzzle of a winter morning, the sun rising above leafless trees surrounding a frozen pond -- all unique pictures on their own, but establishing a more significant level of depth when combined. At no point does it feel disjointed despite the fact it bounces around and between direct ugliness and melancholic grandeur. The keyboard segments and piano backdrops make their appearances felt and are careful not to overstay their welcome, instead dropping in to add some poignancy when the blasting kicks and daunting riffs start to feel too burdensome. They know when to unleash and when to relent, which is something sorely lacking in the scene.

It's rare to come across a black metal album that takes up the gauntlet and covers elements from its wide array of sub-categories, but that's exactly what Advent Sorrow have done here without sacrificing their over-arching depressive theme. As we near toward the end of 2019, it would be in any black metal fan's best interest to experience this before labeling anything "album of the year."

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 02.10.2019 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 15   Visited by: 140 users
02.10.2019 - 09:11
nikarg

Yeah man! I don't know about album of the year, but this is definitely one of the best black metal albums of 2019.
02.10.2019 - 09:42
Zap
Had no idea this existed/was released months ago. Judging by your review it seems to hold up in terms of quality to the debut, so I'm definitely excited to hear it.
02.10.2019 - 17:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
t all fits together like a puzzle of a winter morning, the sun rising above leafless trees surrounding a frozen pond

reading that part on mobile, hit out seeing who wrote it I knew it is Troy, who else knows white side of true winter
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.10.2019 - 17:33
Rating: 9
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by nikarg on 02.10.2019 at 09:11

Yeah man! I don't know about album of the year, but this is definitely one of the best black metal albums of 2019.

Agreed. Maybe some would consider this the best metal album overall but it's been the best black metal release I've heard thus far next to Mgla. Granted I still have some exploring to do and the year isn't over, but this was an invigorating experience, much like the latest Cult of Luna.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.10.2019 - 17:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Zap on 02.10.2019 at 09:42

Had no idea this existed/was released months ago. Judging by your review it seems to hold up in terms of quality to the debut, so I'm definitely excited to hear it.

I prefer this to the debut if only for its more mature songwriting. It's still an excellent album but it felt a little more formulaic and less adventurous than this one. I'm surprised Season of Mist or Profound Lore or similar labels haven't swooped them up by now. Selfishly I'm okay with it if it means they continue doing what they're doing without the worry of any oversight.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.10.2019 - 17:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Bad English on 02.10.2019 at 17:29

"It all fits together like a puzzle of a winter morning, the sun rising above leafless trees surrounding a frozen pond"

reading that part on mobile, hit out seeing who wrote it I knew it is Troy, who else knows white side of true winter

I'm definitely not the only one but I'll take the compliment anyway. I try to add some scenic references whenever I can.
----
02.10.2019 - 23:12
Zap
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.10.2019 at 17:49

I prefer this to the debut if only for its more mature songwriting. It's still an excellent album but it felt a little more formulaic and less adventurous than this one.

Well, that makes me even more inclined to give it a spin. I'll get back to you when I do...
03.10.2019 - 12:06
mz

Havent heard this but their last album was the only DSBM album I have cared about that has been released in the last 10 years maybe. should check this asap.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
03.10.2019 - 17:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by mz on 03.10.2019 at 12:06

Havent heard this but their last album was the only DSBM album I have cared about that has been released in the last 10 years maybe. should check this asap.

It retains an overall depressive tone but I'm not sure I'd call it depressive black metal, at least not strictly. It's a blend of depressive, atmospheric, melodic, and pure black metal. Definitely a step in a different direction from their last album. They really seem to grow between releases.
----
08.10.2019 - 18:29
mz

Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.10.2019 at 17:14

It retains an overall depressive tone but I'm not sure I'd call it depressive black metal, at least not strictly. It's a blend of depressive, atmospheric, melodic, and pure black metal. Definitely a step in a different direction from their last album. They really seem to grow between releases.

I guess I was a bit too loos with that label then. DSBM is the style of BM that I'm familiar with the least, so I take your words.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
08.10.2019 - 19:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by mz on 08.10.2019 at 18:29
I guess I was a bit too loos with that label then. DSBM is the style of BM that I'm familiar with the least, so I take your words.

I think there's a miscommunication here -- the debut is definitely in line with the DSBM style. My comment was referring to this album, which builds upon the depressive nature and adds to it.
----
09.10.2019 - 08:21
no one

I think I remember the last album being another one of those supposedly dsbm bands but not really having any depressive vibe about it, I'll give it a try though.
----
Unable to connect to the database
09.10.2019 - 08:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by no one on 09.10.2019 at 08:21
I think I remember the last album being another one of those supposedly dsbm bands but not really having any depressive vibe about it, I'll give it a try though.

I don't even know what constitutes a dsbm release anymore tbh. Half the time it seems like any atmospheric and/or melodic black metal band with suicidal lyrical themes gets lumped into the category, the other half is just plain old fashioned black metal. Similar to how a lot of melodic death metal bands have more in common with the foundations of heavy/power metal than death metal.

This is why, for my own listening experience, I just focus on what I like vs what I don't like. The only time I concern myself with descriptors are for reviewing purposes.
----
19.01.2020 - 22:32
Rating: 10
Dinruth

Aaah Troy I'm so grateful for your review .. listened to the album after I read it, then bought the album and it has been growing on me ever since. Like you said it's such a great mixture of catchiness and depth!
07.07.2020 - 05:13
tintinb

The album is emotional to say the least, maybe that's what DSBM is, an emotive outlet via BM. The 2nd track, Wolf and Weapon was a treat to hear. I also love how the vocals are absolutely muffled.
----
Leeches everywhere.

Hits total: 3439 | This month: 18