Metal Storm logo
Rob Halford vs Tim "Ripper" Owens (Judas Priest battle)

Poll

Who is better?

Rob Halford
Tim"Ripper" Owens

Total votes: 100
12.06.2007 - 11:37
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Ok i want to see what you guys think of this questions... Disreguard reputation and history. Judge who you thinks is the better singer and what areas you think one is better than the other? It would be interesting to see conparisons in ther work these guys have done either on their own or in other bands.

For me i will cast a vote for "Ripper" Owens, because i have always liked his style even in JP. He his a screech so clean and clear, and the guy and roar with the best of them. Great range and emotions expressed in his voice...
As for Halford, i think the guy is amazing, he has probably the most high pitch screech of any other singer... At least of any male singer... He is very clean and a great show man, although he probably suits JP better than "Ripper", He is no where near as versatile a singer...

What do you guys think?
12.06.2007 - 12:01
BrightNight

I think Tim Owens has a more powerfull voice and can reach higher levels with it. He can sing high pitched and still remain strong.

But i think Rob Halford is the only Judas Priest voice, even if Tim Owens has a stronger voice. Rob Halford still has an unique voice which suits with Judas Priest.

As for Tim Owens i like his powerfull way of singing with Iced Earth (even if i liked Barlow better).
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
12.06.2007 - 13:14
RavenLord

Halford > Owens any day. Ripper has range, true, but Halford has an almost equal range, and shows his softer vocals on songs like 'Diamonds and Rust' and 'Before the Dawn'. Owens has a very bland, monotonous voice, which always comes off as slightly irritating, especially since he tries to sound more threatening than he is. He also doesn't have the strength at higher pitches that Halford has, so he really starts to get too much vibrato when he tries to hold the high notes. Plus, his accent really annoys me; he's not a very emotional singer.
----
12.06.2007 - 14:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dunno I like bouth because early JP are diferent how after Painkiller so if w etalk about 90ties its hard to choose because i like bout vocalists but somehow 55% Rob 45% Tim
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.06.2007 - 15:22
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Owens was more proficient technically, and he was able to reach higher notes, but I like Halford more, he's voice is more emotional and he has warmer tone, still Owens was also good.
13.06.2007 - 06:00
graywolf87
Account deleted
halford all the way...I like the ripper but he has to stick to his own band (not IE) beyond fear.
13.06.2007 - 06:19
Bitch Boy

Owens is Good. Halford is God (or Goddess, but still a deity).
13.06.2007 - 18:54
orathac
Account deleted
Ripper is just a folower Halford make Judas Priest what they. With Tim judas priest made 2 albums in 12 years!!!!! that just sucks i hated Tim after that he has destroced 2 great band Iced Earth and JP why can't he make his own band??!??!?!?!?
14.06.2007 - 03:20
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
lol this is fucking ridiculous....they can't even be compared! Halford not only has a better voice and a higher range, but he also has much better stage presence. I love how he randomly shrieks those insane high notes in places that he only sings regularly on cd. Rob is a pure fucking singer and is talented enough to play in other non-metal stages, while Ripper is just confined to the heavy metal genre.
14.06.2007 - 08:53
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
I thought this was a joke at first...but wow someone actually voted for Ripper Owens. Im not exactly a Priest fan and I dont know much about them, but I know enough that Owens doesnt compare to Halford.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.06.2007 - 13:41
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
I choose halford, simply because I like his vox.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
14.06.2007 - 15:57
RavenLord

Written by Guest on 13.06.2007 at 18:54

Ripper is just a folower Halford make Judas Priest what they. With Tim judas priest made 2 albums in 12 years!!!!! that just sucks i hated Tim after that he has destroced 2 great band Iced Earth and JP why can't he make his own band??!??!?!?!?

He does have his own band; they're called 'Beyond Fear', and play a style of metal somewhat similar to his stint in Judas Priest, albeit not as radically different from Priest's standard sound as those two albums are. I still hate his voice, though.
----
14.06.2007 - 17:36
Valentin B
Iconoclast
dude, rob halford can't be compared save only to king diamond.. ripper is a great shrieker, has a lot of emotion in his voice, but halford patented the crystal clear shriek, and let's face it, i know it's depressive, but i don't think anyone will ever scream higher than him... just listen to "exciter" from "unleashed in the east", and if that was not enough, try the intro for "ram it down" or "screaming for vengeance"(the "scrrrrrreaaaaaaaAAAAAming" bit is unbelievable)
15.06.2007 - 01:19
APOHAKC
The Bard
Well, Rob Halford for me too, I don't know what else to write, other people wrote everything lol
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
15.06.2007 - 13:03
orathac
Account deleted
Written by RavenLord on 14.06.2007 at 15:57

Written by Guest on 13.06.2007 at 18:54

He does have his own band; they're called 'Beyond Fear', and play a style of metal somewhat similar to his stint in Judas Priest, albeit not as radically different from Priest's standard sound as those two albums are. I still hate his voice, though.

really? i didn't know it i will check them
20.06.2007 - 06:38
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I don't really think this battle makes sense. We all know Halford is the voice.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
25.06.2007 - 02:50
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
@Cat Dude....
I dunno, 2 people actually voted Ripper Owens which is odd.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.06.2007 - 20:02
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
I'm listening to Beyond Fear for the first time on myspace right now, thanks to those ov you for mentioning them so I can discover their music

But anyway back on topic, Tim Owens has a very orgasmic falsetto, But Halford suits Judas Priest more...... Just like how Barlow suits Iced Earth better, I usually have a hard time getting into replacement singers.
25.06.2007 - 21:25
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I chose Rob Halford. Tim "Ripper" Owens may sound like Rob Halford, but the new guy simply isn't as good as the original. I like Owens better in Iced Earth.
28.06.2007 - 04:20
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
As far as Judas Priest is concerned the choice is obvious, Rob Halford by far. Don't get wrong Owens has a very powerful voice, but Halford will always be the singer of Priest!
28.06.2007 - 09:05
Torture Killer
Account deleted
Halford is definitly a better song writer but Ripper has the power, I bought Jugulator and it was just painful to listen to.
30.06.2007 - 21:35
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Doc G. on 25.06.2007 at 02:50

@Cat Dude....
I dunno, 2 people actually voted Ripper Owens which is odd.

Well, it's their oppinion I guess. I like the work of Owens in Iced Earth (I like a lot their new single), I think he has a cool voice, but... It's Rob Halford. And iwhe one hears the old JP albums, and songs like "Breaking the law" or "You've got another thing coming" and compare the vocals to the ones in, for example "Painkiller" you see there is a great progression in Halford's vocals. While, as far as I know, Owens has always sounded the same, a bit like Halford. Well, some say imitation is the greatest for of flattery.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
30.06.2007 - 22:17
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I pick Rob Halford, Ripper doesn't even compare. But I love em both.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
30.06.2007 - 22:49
Baz Anderson

this is like comparing Iron Maiden to an Iron Maiden tribute band..
I'm sure you could have figured the result yourself..
06.07.2007 - 03:08
Hyvaarin

Halford, no contest. 'Dreamer Deceiver', anyone?
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
08.12.2007 - 03:06
Metalbound7

Halford of course, i think that there is only one singer that have a best voice than Halford. Matt Barlow, is funny that "The Ripper" is the replacement of both in JP and IE. Anyway the Ripper is good too but theres no comparation
23.02.2008 - 16:41
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Halford Without a doubt,Owens doesn't stand a chance!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
24.02.2008 - 00:19
RhysTerk

Of course Halford, The Ripper is a good singer but not really fits into Priest.
24.02.2008 - 00:28
Warman
Erotic Stains
26-2, I'm not surprised.
----
24.02.2008 - 19:33
Ascalon

Halford ... he's such an icon of heavy metal, so my vote went for him ... without any doubt !!
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)