03. Each Time I Die
04. Where Eternal Jesters Reign
05. Fly Away
06. Reasons Revealed
07. Stranger's Ode
08. Mortal Games
09. Lady Of A Thousand Lakes
10. March To Glory

I'm writing this review as someone who isn't the biggest power metal fan. I don't hate it and I'm not against it; it is simply not my favorite genre. Dreamtale has everything a band of this genre should have: 4/4-based songs (some songs faster than others), a high-pitched voice, constant keyboards, epic choruses, fast riffs, and slow, vocal-focused pieces.

Songs like "Each Time I Die" and "Strangers' Ode" have a more complex structure; the verses have different rhythms and they're not just the basic "verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus-end" kind of structure. This may not be something one will notice consciously, but it definitely makes the album more attractive.

One of the aspects of this album I enjoyed is its folk moments; "Fly Away," "Lady Of A Thousand Lakes," and "Strangers' Ode" are probably my three favorite songs. That folksy touch really gives extra points to their work. Besides, it feels like these three songs have a "restart" effect; in other words, they make the album less monotonous. I'm not saying the album is boring, but it is, after all, a power metal album, and having some folk doesn't hurt.

I don't know whether having a slow intermission song is a must in power metal, though it definitely seems like it is; nevertheless, often you find great guitar solos in these type of songs, and "Reasons Revealed" is no exception. This solo is one of my favorites on Epsilon. I also think these songs function as identifiers; it is common for many songs in power metal to be similar to each other, and thanks to these songs, you can map out the album and identify the songs more easily.

"Strangers' Ode" (that's the third time I mention this song) brings back the pace with a 3/4 intro, followed by a 4/4 verse. It is interesting to listen to how they play with the intro, using it as some kind of connection between other parts of the song. Like I said before, this album has many hidden elements that make it a robust and solid composition.

Regarding the lyrics, I didn't know what they were talking about half of the time. But let's be serious; can anyone really identify with power metal lyrics? Are there still any warriors or magicians around?

I'm being honest when I say I don't think this album is special or outstanding within the genre in any way; I'd say it is just a decent power metal album. Fans of the genre might think differently, and I'm all ears. Still, my opinion is: enjoyable album, not indispensable.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written by The_Hellion | 27.10.2019

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 16 users
29.10.2019 - 00:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Like This band, good reviev
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 743 | This month: 6