04. Ungodly Others
05. Inhuman Utterings
06. Insight
07. ...Of The Mad Men
08. The Baneful Choir
09. Sunken Stars
10. Verdict Of The Dead
11. Charnel Above

Teitanblood create music so hellish that they might as well write the next DOOM soundtrack.

It's been a while since the monstrous Spanish duo that is Teitanblood blipped up on my radar, but having greatly enjoyed their last full length, 2014's Death, it's quite the treat to have them back in town. 2019's The Baneful Choir doesn't show any sign of these conquistadors letting up on the ferocity of their sound anytime soon. As with their prior releases, here pounding, meaty death metal riffs doused with black metal undercurrents shred away any traces of calm, creating a downright vicious formula that paints a nightmarish, apocalyptic vision in the mind of the listener. The production is suitably murky and gritty, creating an almost suffocating feeling of impending, inescapable chaos and dread.

While it doesn't deviate too much from the formula Teitanblood have employed on their previous albums, what The Baneful Choir really has going for it is the overall cohesiveness of its songwriting. Here tracks blend into each other almost seamlessly, to the point that it can become easy to lose track of which one you're on if you're not paying close attention. While this could be construed as the music being overly monotonous and lacking variety, it's actually the exact opposite, as Teitanblood effectively transition between their thunderous blackened death sound and more eerie, dark ambient interludes, demonstrating not only that they aren't a one trick pony, but that they've learned to bridge these two styles together perhaps better than ever before.

With The Baneful Choir Teitanblood further prove themselves as being a bit more nuanced in their songwriting than many other of their contemporaries in the blackened death metal realm. Far from being a "riffs riffs riffs, blasts blasts blasts" album, here Teitanblood manage to weave more intriguing moments of dense, ominous atmosphere into the bulk of their relentless songwriting, giving the composition a greater sense of dynamism and diversity than it may have previously had. Vile, filthy, and just altogether evil-sounding, this is a must listen for 2019 in the "nasty jamz" department.

Blast it loud on a fine pair of headphones.

Written on 02.11.2019 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 89 users
02.11.2019 - 06:04
Rating: 9
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Time to play some DOOM I guess
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
02.11.2019 - 15:16
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by RaduP on 02.11.2019 at 06:04

Time to play some DOOM I guess

Real shit, this album makes me feel like I'm taking on a Hell knight, especially during the more dark ambient-ish sections
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
03.11.2019 - 04:52
Vivid Insanity
Account deleted
Thank you for your review.

Hits total: 3252 | This month: 6