04. Going To Brazil
05. Nightmare / The Dreamtime
06. Love Me Forever
07. Angel City
08. Make My Day
09. Ramones
10. Shut You Down
11. 1916

After a series of fairly weak albums since the immortal "Ace Of Spades" (with the exception of Orgasmatron), Motörhead comes back with a mostly solid album and the beginning of a string of solid albums.

The album opens up with some thundering drum rolls and breaks into the track 'One To Sing The Blues' and the power doesn't stop until closer to the end of the album. Though the production values show very little improvement since "Another Perfect Day", the songwriting shows improvement that we hadn't seen since Motörhead's so called 'peak'. Lemmy's love for rockabilly comes through a lot stronger in this album, showing that sound in songs like 'I'm So Bad (Baby I Don't Care)', and 'Going To Brazil'. But the musical variety does not stop there, it continues on with a very creepy doom-type song called 'Nightmare-The Dreamtime', which truly does sound like the soundtrack to a freaky nightmare. The dark side of Motörhead does not stop there, it continues on to a very grim and powerful ballad entitled 'Love Me Forever'. But just as that powerful ballad ends it picks up your spirits with a laid back fun track called 'Angel City', and of course, a tribute to one of Lemmy's friends/favourite bands 'R.A.M.O.N.E.S.' in which they do a great impression of the previously mentioned band.

On the flip side, this album has not shown a complete improvement from what they had been putting out, there are two or three forgettable tracks that don't seem to have any stand-out qualities. The album closes with the title track, a ballad consisting of an organ, sparse drums, some orchestral instruments (Cello & Violin) and vocals. The lyrics in this track are absolutely dreadful and Lemmy's attempt at melodic singing does them no justice, it makes me cringe in embarrassment every time I hear it.

Though the album closes on a very lame note, the first seven tracks are solid Heavy Metal that make the purchase worthwhile.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 7

Written by Doc G. | 26.04.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 74 users
15.06.2007 - 01:38
APOHAKC
The Bard
Nice review, I agree about evrything except with 1916 track... I love that track, and I think his vocal is good for the lyrics he is singing, it is not love ballad, but you have done good job, really liked review. It is funny they made R.A.M.O.N.E.S song and later Ramones covered Motorhead's songs about themselfs lol
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
15.06.2007 - 01:39
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by APOHAKC on 15.06.2007 at 01:38

It is funny they made R.A.M.O.N.E.S song and later Ramones covered Motorhead's songs about themselfs lol

Yeah, except they changed "Hear Marky kick some ass" to "Marky takes it up the ass"
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin

Hits total: 8335 | This month: 10