Band: Capilla Ardiente
Album: The Siege
Style: Doom metal
Release date: September 2019

01. The Open Arms, The Open Wounds
02. The Crimson Fortress
03. The Spell Of Concealment
04. Fallen Alphas And The Rising

Doom metal is often plagued by misconceptions regarding its pacing and atmosphere, as if speed and aggression are completely foreign and unwelcome characteristics. Enter Chilean outfit Capilla Ardiente, who are here to challenge preconceived notions of what makes doom, doom.

Naturally, comparisons to Procession will be made on a surface level, but the otherwise restrictive boundaries beyond which The Siege explores is tantamount to nearly avant-garde in the context of the genre. Of course, the staples of doom are ever-present, with emotional, drawn-out epics revealed through crushing, baleful melodies. Felipe Kutzbach's effective soaring clean vocal delivery suits the evocative atmosphere, comprised mostly of standard mid-paced riffing and an abundance of masterful solo work, but the praise doesn't end there. Incorporating the more energetic aspects of traditional heavy metal into their sound, Capilla Ardiente manage to transmute the archetypal doom aspects into a power-packed amalgam of metal's emotionally burdensome, physically demanding, psychologically invigorating representation. Quite a list of accomplishments from what is a considerably "normal" release.

The Siege may take its time to settle in with you, shy in its initial approach, but extremely comfortable with return visits. The creeping buildups, constantly evolving song structures, and overwhelming instrumental expertise can be difficult to digest in a single sitting, which is what makes repeat listens so worthwhile. These layered dimensions make for an album that doesn't simply offer a one-and-done experience; rather, it necessitates intimacy by establishing each of its mere four tracks as individually novel-esque stories to be told, with their own unique themes and lessons for the reader to absorb, tempered by varying degrees of tuning, blasting, and instrumental breakdowns, reaching a grand run time of just under 45 minutes.

Careful not to sink to the stylistically lowest lows of gloom and despondency ever-present, Capilla Ardiente make a point to rock out with some excellent groove backed by beat-boosting drums, generating at times a tempo rarely met by doom standards, but one that is in no way misplaced or unfitting. It's a testament to the band's songwriting to be able to reach across the genre's generally limiting characteristics to meld with external influences so seamlessly, bringing about segments that travel conclusively throughout the doom spectrum while navigating much more challenging waters when the moment calls for an outburst of energy. They may not be the torchbearers of doom at the moment, but it would come as no surprise if this album earns a place in time as a significant piece of the future of doom as a whole.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 03.12.2019 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 61 users
03.12.2019 - 08:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hola ese, i did t know you like metalos doomos, i miss southern wind btv, sad he left.
Nice reviev, unknown band to me, will check it out
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.12.2019 - 12:25
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
That was surprisingly good, loads of good doom metal this year
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
03.12.2019 - 13:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by RaduP on 03.12.2019 at 12:25

Given the pedigree involved: (members of Procession and Poema Arcanus, the later being one of the biggest doom metal bands in South America and the singer playing bass for Destroyer 666)... Cant say im surprised about the quality and also about the fact they inject more speed than your regular doom metal.

Loving this review and it makes me happy to see others liking what Chile is providing. ❤️
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.12.2019 - 13:46
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.12.2019 at 13:32

Given the pedigree involved: (members of Procession and Poema Arcanus, the later being one of the biggest doom metal bands in South America and the singer playing bass for Destroyer 666)... Cant say im surprised about the quality and also about the fact they inject more speed than your regular doom metal.

Loving this review and it makes me happy to see others liking what Chile is providing. ❤️

You're still my favorite Chilean export
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
03.12.2019 - 17:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Bad English on 03.12.2019 at 08:53

Hola ese, i did t know you like metalos doomos, i miss southern wind btv, sad he left.

It's not one of my favorite genres as I tend towards the more extreme side of things when it comes to metal but I still have an appreciation for it. Especially when it's this good. I think you'll really enjoy this (and their debut, which is of equal quality).
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.12.2019 - 21:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by RaduP on 03.12.2019 at 12:25

Equal as each yearr if you dont sit but dig deeper
----

apos;'
[image]
03.12.2019 - 21:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.12.2019 at 17:03

Written by Bad English on 03.12.2019 at 08:53

It's not one of my favorite genres as I tend towards the more extreme side of things when it comes to metal but I still have an appreciation for it. Especially when it's this good. I think you'll really enjoy this (and their debut, which is of equal quality).

I hope youre doomed now. I will try on friday when Fen new be out
----

apos;'
[image]
03.12.2019 - 22:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.12.2019 at 13:32

Thanks for the info and kind words my friend. Chile has always had a solid, if not overlooked metal scene. Some big names and high quality music out of that region for sure. Hoping that trend continues.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.12.2019 - 19:55
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Seem to enjoy anything with Felipe Plaza
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.12.2019 - 22:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by BitterCOld on 08.12.2019 at 19:55

Seem to enjoy anything with Felipe Plaza

I'm guilty of being a passenger in that boat as well, though I didn't realize it until looking up his musician profile.
----

Hits total: 2214 | This month: 7