Band: Bølzer
Album: Lese Majesty
Style: Black metal, Death metal
Release date: November 2019

01. A Shepherd In Wolven Skin
02. Æstivation
03. Into The Temple Of Spears
04. Ave Fluvius! Danú Be Praised!

Lese Majesty features exactly the type of songwriting I was hoping Bølzer would pursue after Hero.

The Swiss duo Bølzer won a good deal of street cred earlier in the decade with their Aura and Soma EPs, featuring thunderous blends of blackened death metal with a distinctly modern twist. They followed them up in 2016 with a proper full length in the form of Hero, which generated something of a mixed reaction in yours truly. While it moved in a more epic, melodious direction that was quite enjoyable, it did so almost at the sacrifice of the riff heavy, memorable compositions of the band's earlier history, and felt as though it was missing some vital element of forward momentum. 2019's Lese Majesty essentially merges the Hero sound with the more riff driven sound of Bølzer's earlier days, resulting in a formula that feels more balanced, cohesive, and mature. Opener "A Shepherd In Wolven Skin" establishes a style that is more or less followed throughout the rest of the release: catchy and full of energy, but with an underlying sense of harmony and warmth that was lacking with the band's earlier material.

On Lese Majesty Bølzer still retain many of the more epic elements from Hero, but here they appear to have exerted a lot more control over how they're integrated into the music. Particularly notable would be the use of clean vocals, a polarizing ingredient that first reared its head on Hero and seems a lot more refined here, better positioned around the harsh vocals and seeming to be utilized primarily during the climaxes of the compositions. Additionally Bølzer seem a lot more comfortable experimenting with atmospheric, ambient type moments, such as on the interlude-like "Æstivation," a technique I'd definitely like to see them play around with more in the future. With all that said, Lese Majesty still maintains a certain gravity with the upbeat, riff heavy style that forms the bulk of its compositions (see "Into The Temple Of Spears" especially), a gravity that doesn't feel as compromised as it was on Hero.

With Lese Majesty Bølzer really seem to have learned from both the successes and failures of Hero, taking the more dynamic and atmospheric ingredients from that album and using them as more of an embellishment upon their compositions than as the predominant element. The result is a release that sees the band going back to their more riff based fury, but also upgrading that approach with an added sense of nuance and ambiance. Love it or hate it, one thing that can't be denied about Bølzer is their commitment to evolving their craft. Compared to where they were at the start of the decade, the band have grown a lot in terms of sound, and Lese Majesty closes out the decade on a considerable high note for them while also generating much curiosity about just where they may choose to go from here.

Written on 04.12.2019 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 76 users
04.12.2019 - 08:58
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
I'm pretty sure "Enthranced By The Wolfshook" is the most memorable metal song of the decade.

And kudos to learning to embed Bandcamp tags. Soon you'll learn to customize the colors too.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
04.12.2019 - 09:23
Netzach
Planewalker
It was fun premiere listening to it with you bro... Well written review as always! I agree with most of it. They realized where they had come from, and did something of a Hero/Soma mix on this one. The riffs are a bit disjointed in a way that maybe warrants more listenings, everything is a bit out of focus in a way in my ears... but as this is an EP I won't feel bad regarding it as a stepping stone towards their next LP which I'm no doubt stoked for after listening to this.
05.12.2019 - 02:29
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Netzach on 04.12.2019 at 09:23

As this is an EP I won't feel bad regarding it as a stepping stone towards their next LP which I'm no doubt stoked for after listening to this.

Same, I'm quite excited about where they may go next in light of this EP. I'd be fine with more of this kind of sound honestly, but whether they choose to pursue more of the riff heavy approach or the atmospheric one should definitely be interesting.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
05.12.2019 - 09:12
Vivid Insanity
Account deleted
Echoing what Netzach said, a well written review as always!
..and I also agree with Netzach's sentiment of everything being a bit out of focus, it all just felt a bit weak.
But they do create a very alluring sound, so it's always going to be interesting to see what they come up with, just hopefully less shit (/joke).
08.12.2019 - 23:38
nikarg

The first two EPs were really great. Hero was a very wtf album that I did not like and this is an improvement but not enough of an improvement to get me hooked again.

Btw, they've been using clean vocals (albeit differently) since the beginning and these have always sucked big time. But the music was so great -especially on Aura- that I didn't mind.

Written by RaduP on 04.12.2019 at 08:58

I'm pretty sure "Enthranced By The Wolfshook" is the most memorable metal song of the decade.

Definitely one of the most memorable. Insane song.
09.12.2019 - 16:35
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by nikarg on 08.12.2019 at 23:38

Btw, they've been using clean vocals (albeit differently) since the beginning and these have always sucked big time.

I don't know what the big deal is with the clean vocals but a lot of people seem to complain about them. Color me easily pleased but I've never had a problem with them, and I'd say they're much better utilized here than on Hero
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
13.12.2019 - 14:03
Vivid Insanity
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 09.12.2019 at 16:35

I don't know what the big deal is with the clean vocals but a lot of people seem to complain about them. Color me easily pleased but I've never had a problem with them, and I'd say they're much better utilized here than on Hero

The clean vocals are ok, it's the application that can be.. unsettling and a bit confusing but you could argue that as being part of the allure.

Hits total: 3400 | This month: 14