01. Incipit Satan
02. A World To Win
03. Litani Til Satan
04. Unchain My Heart!!!
05. An Excert Of X
06. Ein Eim Av Blod Og Helvetesild
07. Will To Power
08. When Loves Rages Wild In My Heart

Probably one of the most popular albums from the Gorogoroth release list, from old listener to new listener, this album set a damn good example of what a band that plays raw black metal is capable of. The CD runs about 37 minutes long and contains 8 songs for your listening pleasure. After ditching the drummer for Destroyer, Gorgoroth added another to fill in, Erichsen, who was then later replaced in the same year by Kvitrafn ( Ex - Det Hedenske Folk ). This album is well, in my opinion, a damn good album, one of their strongest if not best.

The first song, Incipit Satan, starts off very hard, very fast, and very grinding. The drum work is somewhat tingy here and there, from overuse of the cymbals, but it doesn't completely ruin the song. The song has a good break in it, a very silent break if you ask me, with the use of a keyboard and some odd electronic beats, some might say this is bad, but it enhances the song ten fold and when the break stops and the music starts, its just as hard and fast as it was when the track first started. Gaahl's vocals are well, nothing less then perfect also. The second and third song, A World To Win and Litani Til Satan, slow it down a bit and get a bit on the harmonic and melodic side of Black Metal, with Gaahl growling away the vocals and smearing out his trademark scream and bark.

The downside of this album? Nothing really with sound, but more of song titles. Well, I take that back, I have one complaint with the sound. Track number 7, its all instrumental and all keyboard driven, it's a let down and over all its not really anything important, it's a very boring track all together and its just slow pulsing base. Unchain My Heart and When Love Rages Wild In My Heart? Sounds more like covers of the Motion Picture Titanic Soundtrack. The titles have in no relation to any other songs by any other artist, they are more of deterrents actually, probably to turn heads and make others criticize them for no reason at all. But over all, this album has no bad points, for the most part it ranges from average to above average to even astronomical in sound and structure.

Tracks that I like - Uncipit Satan, A World To Win, Unchain My Heart

Written by Prugor | 28.04.2004

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 90 users
16.06.2007 - 03:51
Christ_13
Account deleted
Nice review!! I love this album, the best that I have heard.. I like the way they change their sound
01.05.2008 - 10:39
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
i didnt like this album.. dont really know why... the only track that i liked was Unchain My Heart, worst Gorgoroth album.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
01.05.2008 - 18:24
Rating: 7
Sunioj

Written by Uirapuru on 01.05.2008 at 10:39

i didnt like this album.. dont really know why... the only track that i liked was Unchain My Heart, worst Gorgoroth album.

I agree with you, IMO this album and any album after the first three don't hold a candle to their old stuff.

Hits total: 6545 | This month: 12