Metal Storm logo
Acoustic Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Xaphiris, 16.06.2007 - 17:30
An unrecognized genre that uses acoustic guitars and non-conventional instruments [usually common household items]. It has the purpose of satirizing and making fun of Black Metal bands that are taken too seriously by fans or the band themselves. The genre is closely related to Imapled Northern Moonforest, the band that started it all.

Acoustic black metal is the genre given to Imapled Northern Moonforest and the numerous bands spawned by the band's fanbase.

Discuss and hail Acoustic Black Metal!
20.06.2007 - 07:35
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
^ It sounds funny to me, i always have my favorite nick hembrom everywhere. ANd i am happy with it.

What is the use of a blasphemously grim and satanically frostbitten name. Its just a fking name IMO.

Oh but i like the style of BM nicks. No body have real name Varg or Kauwolf or Malefic
20.06.2007 - 11:44
Xaphiris
Written by Hembrom on 20.06.2007 at 07:35

^ It sounds funny to me, i always have my favorite nick hembrom everywhere. ANd i am happy with it.

What is the use of a blasphemously grim and satanically frostbitten name. Its just a fking name IMO.

Oh but i like the style of BM nicks. No body have real name Varg or Kauwolf or Malefic

Its just to keep the scene trve and kvlt [lol]. Imagine how gay it was if everyone had their real nick.

No problem with your nick. Hail the Necrowizard!
----
20.06.2007 - 16:24
Xaphiris
Well, to be satanically honest, you ain't worth much to the ABM community if you don't do some ABM. ABM, like BM uses pseudonyms. And the people usually go by their pseudonym in the community, it would be pretty gay otherwise. Imagine ABM Bands with bands members like "Raven_86", "John_Smith", "progamer90" or "yahoovirus_jake"... looks and sounds gay, don't it?
----
21.06.2007 - 15:34
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Xaphiris on 19.06.2007 at 14:23

However the community has developed a sense of humor based on a lot of irony and would see direct attacks to BM as stupid and wrong. For instance, some people called Varg Vikernes a fag, fact which upset the community. If you were to parody Burzum in an ABM project... that would be kvlt. If you were to hail Burzum in an ABM project... that would also be kvlt.

It takes a special kind of intelligence, humor and open mindedness to understand ABM. Black metallers who are too anal about it probably wont understand... As I see it, a lot of people form the East, where the whole idea of black metal seems to be vague... don't get ABM and take it as an offence. I'm sorry for them.

"community"? I really wonder if you can speak of a community when it comes to ABM. Basically, the people who post on those forums aren't really well..people to take seriously? Also, I wonder how they are in real life. I never met someone who keep on joking about such a repetitive topic. No offence of course.

Humor is based on personality, so yeah..it does require a certain type of humor, but seriously.. "special kind of intelligence" and "open mindness"? Since when do you need intelligence to understand a joke? And of all that, a bad joke. It was fun when Impaled Northern Moonforest released their first album, but now it just became very dull and nothing more than an internet kiddo thing.

I at least never met or seen one band, or musician who seriously considered to play "Acoustic Black Metal".

Acoustic black metal isn't an offence, it is only just pointless.. it is like taking Anal Cunt seriously.
21.06.2007 - 18:26
Xaphiris
Written by AntaeusM on 21.06.2007 at 15:34

"community"? I really wonder if you can speak of a community when it comes to ABM. Basically, the people who post on those forums aren't really well..people to take seriously?

This sort of criticism really surprises me. Who are you to judge? I doubt you know all about what goes on on the forums. We do have a community going, even if it's a mere handful of people. It will grow. Like I said, it used to be much larger and we're working hard on reviving it, while attending out own separate lives, thousands of miles from each other.

Also, I wonder how they are in real life. I never met someone who keep on joking about such a repetitive topic. No offence of course.

Who cares about how they really are in real life? What they do for ABM is what counts. If it would turn out that we're all a bunch of homos, posers, emos and Jews, it would only add to the irony. - the same irony that you can find in black metal.

You speak as if joking about such a repetitive topic would be so retarded. What's worse? Being anal about something like black metal or joking about how anal some black metallers are? You might say "Yeah, but black metal is more serious"... is it really? The way I see it, if all too repetitive topics should be ceased, we shouldn't have a lot of real metal bands playing, we should cancel all sitcoms, and release one book for each genre of literature. In case of repetitive parodying, we also have to pay attention to the individual style of each work. That brings us to our next point:

Humor is based on personality, so yeah..it does require a certain type of humor, but seriously.. "special kind of intelligence" and "open mindness"? Since when do you need intelligence to understand a joke? And of all that, a bad joke.

You need intelligence to understand anything [that clearly including jokes, especially satirical ones]. It does take a lot of open mindedness for a black metal fan to accept acoustic black metal. Like I've said there are a lot of black metal fans involved in acoustic black metal. Those people did manage to put aside their stubbornness and prejudice in the face of a parody of their favorite musical genre. I would very much appreciate it if you used phrases like "In my opinion" when commenting the quality of things [the "jokes" here].

It was fun when Impaled Northern Moonforest released their first album, but now it just became very dull and nothing more than an internet kiddo thing.

Seriously now, I'm, getting the feeling you have no clue about what went on over the years. A lot of things happen offline [like the music itself]. However, the only efficient media to share ABM on remains the internet.

I at least never met or seen one band, or musician who seriously considered to play "Acoustic Black Metal".

I would be more than happy to introduce you to some bands like that. for instance, take ÖRGH.

Acoustic black metal isn't an offence, it is only just pointless.. It is like taking Anal Cunt seriously.

A great deal of the black metal scene is overrated and exaggerated. I believe that criticism of such things are rarely pointless.

Finally, you keep asking me not to take your criticism as an offense, yet it feels like you look down upon the people who do ABM today and not ABM itself. I cannot help but think this is a sort of attack to my personality.
----
27.02.2008 - 15:55
pietje
Account deleted
ABM is a very interesting thing. I had never before heard of it, but the thought has sometimes slipped my mind as I think that BM doesn't need a overrate of soundeffects and other musicdisturbing things to be hard, rough and over the edge. No offense to any soundengineer, I am myself one, but often in BM there is a useless use of soundeffects on the wrong places, which makes that I rather listen to qualitymusic like death metal or something like that. There I only mis the underground a little, so ABM is a good thing in my opinion.
27.02.2008 - 21:51
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
It offers no listening pleasure at all. Anyone who claims to actually enjoy this "music" is just saying that. Acoustic Black Metal is a complete waste of time: it's a joke, just leave it at that. In fact it's an insult to BM.
27.02.2008 - 21:59
Valhalen
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 27.02.2008 at 21:51

It offers no listening pleasure at all. Anyone who claims to actually enjoy this "music" is just saying that. Acoustic Black Metal is a complete waste of time: it's a joke, just leave it at that. In fact it's an insult to BM.
Why is an insult to black metal? They just make fun of the "trueness" that some black metal fans want to show. You don't have to take it seriously.
27.02.2008 - 22:19
m3t4lh34d
I hadn't heard of ABM before, but I am glad I found this thread.

It was only a matter of time before something like this popped up, most Black Metal just begs to be parodied.
28.02.2008 - 07:06
Daniel
Some of it also has an Ambient feel. Its not all parody.

Some musicians are serious about it.
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
28.02.2008 - 14:13
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 27.02.2008 at 21:59

Why is an insult to black metal? They just make fun of the "trueness" that some black metal fans want to show. You don't have to take it seriously.

That's why I said it's a joke and should be left at that. It's when people talk about supporting the ABM scene and act like they actually listen to it that makes it insulting to BM.
28.02.2008 - 15:28
Valentin B
Iconoclast
"Orgies In The North (Satanically, Of Course)" LMAO
28.02.2008 - 15:30
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 28.02.2008 at 14:13

That's why I said it's a joke and should be left at that. It's when people talk about supporting the ABM scene and act like they actually listen to it that makes it insulting to BM.

the scene has definitely matured over the years, it outgrew it's funny side. some abmers still joke about it, but overall it's serious. not black metal serious of course, but the mattress slapping days are long gone.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
28.02.2008 - 17:46
Valhalen
Account deleted

Written by Guest on 27.02.2008 at 21:59

Got it. I misunderstood you.
28.02.2008 - 22:48
Xaphiris

It's when people talk about supporting the ABM scene and act like they actually listen to it that makes it insulting to BM.

I see your point.
----
01.03.2008 - 23:33
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
When the music is good and the screams are good, what makes it insulting to BM?
I can understand that there is a difference between regular black and this kind of black, maybe it should have another name that could more fit the music, but BM must not be overrated to much. It is just one of many styles, even a style that only a bunch of strange people listen to (like me), so, there is nothing thst reallty makes BM the style of styles that must be counted with. First try to keep BM on the highest level and make sure that it don't get leveled down by fools who don't want to develop. ABM is in my opinion just a nice development, a new direction in which BM progresses.
02.03.2008 - 00:03
Valentin B
Iconoclast
it annoys me that i can't create/compose ABM... so untrve
04.03.2008 - 00:37
Xaphiris
Written by Valentin B on 02.03.2008 at 00:03

How so?
----
04.03.2008 - 15:35
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Xaphiris on 04.03.2008 at 00:37

Written by Valentin B on 02.03.2008 at 00:03

How so?

i don't know the scales(or is it atonal?), chord progressions etc. that would sound best
04.03.2008 - 21:08
Xaphiris
I started out with putting a small glass on my fingers and tabbing all the strings at random. For those of you who haven't realized this yet: you don't have to be a virtuoso guitar player to make ABM. Sit down and start recording, its as simple as that.

Edit: Just get someone you know can play the guitar to shred, you can slap your knees and scream. With more members, ABM generally sounds more traditional...
----
06.03.2008 - 22:33
W-Lash
Metal Master
It isn't that funny at all. Why do people make so big thing about it?
20.08.2011 - 03:13
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
...And the best Acoustic Black Metal album is The Mantle by Agalloch.