Metal Storm logo
Doom On, Marcel

Written by: BitterCOld
Published: 18.12.2019

Were someone watching me write this, I must look a fool- crying to laughing to sobbing to laughing again.

If it would appear the following is making it about me, fuck that, it's most assuredly not. Fuck me. It's just my firsthand experience with some random dude on the internet who became a good friend.

I joined Metal Storm in 2004. I had taken pretty much a decade off from metal after Death Metal got boring and couldn't get over the silliness of Black Metal imagery, content to just listen to the classics. When I awoke from my metal nap, I found MS and joined.

Marcel - or Ozman as he went at the time, though still with that familiar Mercyful Fate avatar image - was one of those I immediately connected with. We were both older, crusty bastards that were around for metal's evolution in the 80s and early 90s. He was hilarious to watch, demolishing the kids who found metal last week yet knew everything.

In 2007 Team MS decided to tap me on the shoulder and offer me an internship in Metal Storm Towers and I got to know him (and the fellow old timers) much, much better.

To a lot of outsiders, he was a crusty bastard.

Once you connected, it was clear he was a teddy bear with a heart of gold.

I was never into Doom. It was slow. Boring. No explosions. Boo. But he kept nudging and pushing, eventually serving up Warning - Watching From A Distance. One afternoon, reading some Hemingway while drinking red wine with the album on the stereo it all clicked. Much like today, I had (more than) a few tears streaming down my face.

From that point on, I was a full-fledged member of the Marcel Kool Kids Doom Club.

As doom went, he pushed a hell of a lot harder than any inner-city crack dealer.

I'd have random packages show up at my house, piled to the brim with random Doom Shall Rise or Dutch Doom Days t-shirts. An Ortega hoodie that I have traveled a good chunk of the globe with. (Fun fact, it was an error, lettering was supposed to be silver. It was white, so someone at the band was displeased. Marcel said "I have a friend who would want that" and sent me the hoodie. When I reviewed 1634 extremely positively, the band posted a link to the review on their Facebook page. Marcel noted 'that's the guy I sent the sweatshirt to.' They responded to the effect of 'went to the right guy'. )

And the music. It was The Good Shit. Not just doom albums, but random and rare stuff. Faal and Ortega rare releases in cool cardboard packaging.

I tried as best I could to thank and reciprocate, sending him t-shirts of US craft breweries and events (yet another shared interest) - even once found a way to special order a bottle of Laphroaig scotch with a personalized label. Amusingly, Procession's The Cult Of Disease was in the first batch of albums, and apparently Felipe Plaza of the band crashed at his place prior to some gig and the bottle was shown off and shared.

I only met the man once.

In 2013 my better half and I visited Munich, Paris and Amsterdam. The later an ulterior motive. Cool city, if you get out of the city center- but figured maybe the big man could make it down to "The City Which Shall Not Be Named". He said he'd take a train in and meet up at In De Wildeman, leading to this exchange:

Her - "Going to meet your internet friend? I hope he doesn't try to kill you!"
Me - "Oh he will. With beer."

I was correct.

We had a great time, talking all the great releases of that year, metal in general and just regular mundane shit. The bastard said something in Dutch to our server, and next thing I know he covered eight rounds of quality cerveza and a Chimay cheese plate. About this time the lights came on, bar was about to close and I juked past him to order - and pay for -one last round.

The evening ended with us doing possibly the least metal thing ever. He showed me how to purchase the rail tickets to get to the airport for our flight home. \m/.

Little did I know it would be our last round. Even now, earlier this month I'm planning some mid-life crisis/gap year trip all over the globe with my wife. I carved out 4 nights in The Netherlands, planning to stay in Utrecht just as another excuse to knock back beers and talk metal with my "internet friend".

In a world of 7,800,000,000 or so people, I count myself lucky to have met Marcel.

I've written a bunch of words and referenced a bunch of moments in time above, but that doesn't really do him justice nor fully impart the impact some Dutch Doom Dude across the globe had on my life.

Looking at his Facebook page you can see the measure of the man, the impact he had. Doom and Metal fans from all walks of life and points on the globe chiming in. Add in more bands than I have fingers paying tribute.

He was one hell of a guy.

Well, I'm done pounding out words and weeping. After this time to switch from the doom releases he sent me way back when to some good old 80's thrash, hoist some good craft beer and laugh remembering the funny exchanges, conversations and the good times. I'm pretty sure the crusty Dutch bastard wouldn't want us sobbing into our beers getting all sentimental, but rather celebrating the good, the bad and the funny.

Wherever you are, amigo, whenever we next meet, the drinks are on me.

(Edit after the fact - unpacking found this t-shirt, Marcel laughed when I sent him a link to it back in the day, seemed appropriate here. He'd laugh.)

Written on 18.12.2019 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 30   Visited by: 320 users
19.12.2019 - 02:44
MetalManic

Thanks for this.

...and thanks Marcel for always being a solid (internet) dude. Never did you decline to reply to my Dutch metal questions.
19.12.2019 - 02:51
Søren
Lord of the Mosh
Well said, Craig. Those early days of MS were pure magic, in large part because of Marcel. Unlike you, I had not yet the opportunity to meet him in person. 2020 was going to be the year. Now it will have to wait just a bit longer.
19.12.2019 - 06:19
Lord Slothrop

19.12.2019 - 08:25
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Quote:
He was hilarious to watch, demolishing the kids who found metal last week yet knew everything.

I was one of them, except of the fact I introduced to metal by my dad long before joining MS and didn't know much outside thrash, death metal and folk metal.

When I joined in '11 as a big fucking fan of Mitch Fucking Lucker, he use to shred the living hell out of me. Nevertheless, he introduced me to shit tons of bands, liked my reviews and mostly gave me more additional information about bands(especially thrash). We also discussed Cricket.

I'll miss Grumpy Old Fuck.

Metal Storm without him will be weird.

Have fun wherever the hell you are, dude.
19.12.2019 - 10:32
R Lewis

This is horrible news, but a lovely write-up.
He always was such a positive presence on here, I'm sure he was IRL as well.
Rock on, Marcel
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
19.12.2019 - 11:22
cobrapel
Concept One
I never knew him, but he was a lighthouse for my doom research.
Thank you Marcel
19.12.2019 - 13:44
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Marcel made his mark on the metal world and always stayed true to his passion. I wanted to meet him back in 2011 as I was in Utrecht but he texted me that he was busy "meeting other old metalheads to complain about the youngsters" - classic Marcel!

He was a huge fan of Metallica in the 80s and says he saw them something like 37 times between 1983 and 1989. Let's all be at least 10% as passionate about metal music as he was, and the world will be a better place, with better music.

He will be missed. I will listen to Watching From A Distance one of these days as a tribute to him.
19.12.2019 - 16:23
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Really moving words.
Hard to believe I won't read any more grumpy comments from him. I'll miss a lot his online persona over here.
Hope he is resting wherever he wants to be now.
19.12.2019 - 19:26
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Beautiful tribute, Bitter. I'm glad you two got to knock glasses. I also joined in 2004 and only every sparred back and forth with him over the internet for the last decade and a half, but I like to think he'd ruin me with beer too if I'd had the opportunity. Rest well and doom on! \m/
----
The force will be with you, always.
19.12.2019 - 20:10
Metren
Dreadrealm
Thank You for the article, BitterCOld. This was beautiful.

The fascinating thing about Marcel was just how much more I agreed with his tastes in metal as I grew older. I'll also never forget the time he commented on my "overrated albums" list and thumbed it up. I didn't tell him of course, but I was really proud about that, which is silly, but probably understandable given what an influencial and knowledgeable guy he was.

If there's a bar at the end of the world, we'll meet there. Until then, we'll sit here clutching at straws and nursing our scars.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
20.12.2019 - 03:37
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Great tribute to the man. I remember when I first joined 8 years ago I was one of those kids he would "demolish". Definitely had an impact on the route I went with my metal tastes. He will certainly be missed
20.12.2019 - 14:12
Crème fraiche

Damn, RIP Marcel. Longtime lurker here at MS. I enjoyed Marcel's humor and thought his hatred of 'Flower Power Metal" was hystarical. I PMed him a few times asking for tips on good albums and music documentaries, and he was always kind enough to respond and tell me a few of his favorites.

Strange how sad I am feeling even though I never met the guy or you Bitter. I do enjoy your posts as well as most the contributors from this site and I always look forward to checking this site everyday for my much needed metal fix. Your post is really genuine and moving to me. Rest in peace Marcel.
20.12.2019 - 14:41
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
When I first joined MS back in 2002, Marcel was already here. We clashed at times, but I came to love and respect him. We became internet friends. He was, by far, the most knowledgeable metalhead that I have ever met. I wish he wrote books. His comments were always rational and well-informed. If Marcel ever criticized one of my reviews or articles, I knew I'd have to do some serious fact-checking because I valued his level of knowledge so highly. On top of all this, while we will all remember him as the walking metal encyclopedia, he was actually very open-minded and super-knowledgeable about many other musical genres.

Behind the super genre nerd facade, he as a very kind, generous and relatable person. I didn't know him very closely, but I did have a few deeper conversations with him over the years and his experience and the advice he gave me helped me during some dark times.

RIP Marcel. Even after I stopped being active on this site, your presence loomed in my life. I always caught myself thinking 'wonder what Marcel would think of this band/genre/show/issue?'. Nothing will change now. He is gone but he will forever be a beacon of good taste in my mind.
20.12.2019 - 15:24
Tiago Rocha
Dark Lighthouse
Man, I just read this now... i'm devastated.
20.12.2019 - 19:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Marcel is reason why I am drinking craft beer on regular bases, before I drunk dunkel, schwarzbier, ordinary stout, but in old Myspace or early Facebook days he had some Belgium tripple, one day I saw that bottle on booze store and bought, after it like last 7 years. Whit out him I would not be there where I am, that day pilsener, lager and even mainstream IPA died for me.
Who knows maybe I would not be in pipes and ciggars

3 bands I discovered thanks to him was Faal, Ahab and Fear Of God.

and lets start again
I am member since 2005 I think, I remember old shout box, Ozman always was there, I remember true crisde against euro power metal. He was always online, (sometimes even more as I did in old days)
In last years our opinion went separate ways , and even his work and activity in ms was dead like 3-4 years, but his knowledge about metal, music was huge like encyclopedia. Sad his activty in ms was slow and lazy in last years, ms lost a lot. Metal world lost a lot whit this, I cant believe, it happened.
I never manage to DDD due financial reason, travel is way to expencice , but if I ever go I doubt it will be same as it could be.
Marcel once said only Rico aka Hellish Star has more records in collection as he has.
Lets keep negative factors between us out, and remember good times in MS , I have a drink on you old man.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.12.2019 - 20:35
nikarg

20.12.2019 - 20:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Søren on 19.12.2019 at 02:51

Those early days of MS were pure magic,

Yes they were and I am proud I could live in those days, sad that some of you left ms
----

apos;'
[image]
21.12.2019 - 01:46
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by nikarg on 20.12.2019 at 20:35

Dutch Doom Days (Annual festival)

Sorcerer also send their condolences here. Truly, it is beautiful how many bands took notice and sent their heartfelt condolences. It shows just how important the community is in metal. You don't have to be a musician to be an important part of the scene. Of course, Marcel was unique, a true metal ambassador and propagator. He will be sorely missed, but if there is one positive thing about this whole situation, it is this realization....
21.12.2019 - 23:40
Guib
Thrash Talker
Wow... .. Speechless.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
23.12.2019 - 12:16
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Great write up Craig. Perfect.
----
rekt
23.12.2019 - 21:00
Maasai Mara

WTF! RIP Marcel, thanks for Warning - Watching from a distance and 40 Watt Sun - The Inside Room.
----
You are not metal enough until you visit Kenya. The cradle of mankind, where man learnt first to work with stones and first enjoyed the sounds produced by banging stones which later influenced metal in all its sounds and genres.
26.12.2019 - 22:54
wrathchild

Just the other day I was retelling my first Hellfest, in 2007 under a chaotic weather, and how this old guy in his forties I knew only from the Internet forced himself to go and camp with us all for the love of metal.

We registered on MS the very same week but in metal he was the expert and I was the noob.

I wasn't into Doom but I was amazed that his knowledge on the genre kept on growing with new bands every month.

He was passionate, supportive and loveable.
I wish we'd share more beers. That will have to wait till we meet again.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
30.12.2019 - 18:02
Undercraft

Wow. i didnt know about the passing of Marcel. So sad, he was the coolest guy ever.
31.12.2019 - 11:00
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Any discussion in MS Tower over whether to rename Doom category in memory of our doom lord Marcel?
31.12.2019 - 11:02
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 31.12.2019 at 11:00

Any discussion in MS Tower over whether to rename Doom category in memory of our doom lord Marcel?

That is confidential
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
31.12.2019 - 16:40
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by RaduP on 31.12.2019 at 11:02

That is confidential

I'm PMing you tip details.

Kindly send me your consent.
31.12.2019 - 23:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 31.12.2019 at 16:40

That is confidential

It will be as leak review album to you from radu
----

apos;'
[image]
01.01.2020 - 12:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 31.12.2019 at 16:40

That is confidential

I paid some money for This, to remember Marcel, ms will delete sabaton
----

apos;'
[image]
02.01.2020 - 06:01
BigPumpkin

Thank you BitterCOld. Beautifully written.
----
We are blessed with a multitude of great brewers, cider makers, distillers, winemakers, and musicians.
07.07.2020 - 08:08
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Just finished reviewing Sleestak's latest, AEON, and in thinking back on the band was reminded that their release "Skylon Express" was in that first box. Thinking harder on it, it's a fucking Murderer's Row of great stuff....

FAAL - 00:00
Forsaken - After The Fall (after the FAAL? haha. bad joke!)
Heavy Lord - Chained To The World
Officium Triste - Charcoal Hearts
Ortega - 1634
Procession - Cult of Disease
Profetus - Coronation of the Black Sun
Sleestak - Skylon Express

and the crowning jewel, the only one I was actually familiar with (had the mp3s) -

Warning - Watching From A Distance
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 5240 | This month: 17