2 - Innocence
    3 - Carpe Diem
    4 - The Darkest Of Winters
    5 - Another World
    6 - The Inevitable Summer
    7 - The Crimson Sunset
02. Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding [Elton John cover]
03. Perfect Strangers [Deep Purple cover]
04. The Rover / Achilles Last Stand / The Song Remains The Same [Led Zeppelin cover]
05. The Big Medley
    1 - In The Flesh? [Pink Floyd cover]
    2 - Carry On Wayward Son [Kansas cover]
    3 - Bohemian Rhapsody [Queen cover]
    4 - Lovin, Touchin, Squeezin [Journey cover]
    5 - Cruise Control [Dixie Dregs cover]
    6 - Turn It On Again [Genesis cover]

This EP contains about a hour of excellent music. It is divided into two parts: a 23 minutes long title-track and some covers taken from the famous live performance at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club in London on January 31st, 1995.

This studio version of the song 'A Change Of Seasons' has immediately reached the 1st position in my top three. In spite of its length, this is actually my favorite song of all time. When I didn't know it, I always thought that 23 minutes were really too much. How wrong I was! This is a true masterpiece: in my opinion, it's the best song Dream Theater have ever written.

It is a beautiful evolution of an old piece written in 1989 together with Metropolis-Part I. I have that old version but it is really miles away from this one. 'A Change Of Seasons' is a wonderful suite divided in seven parts and it is a metaphor representing the human life in all his length. This song features excellent lyrics, which deeply influenced my way of living and enjoying life as it is. I'm not joking. Mike Portnoy was inspired by Horace's "Carpe Diem" theme, my favourite literary subject. "Carpe Diem" is a latin maxim which means "Seize The Day": it is an encouragement to enjoy our life as it is in the present, because we don't know what the future may bring. Quite logical, but very deep.

'A Change Of Seasons' was meant to be in the tracklist of Images And Words, but after an agreement with the producer, it [fortunately] had to be released as an EP. So, during the gap between 1991 and 1995 it was deeply modified. This way it became the masterpiece we hear today. Since the first moment, the production is impeccable, the whole sound is clean and delicate, above all the excellent keyboard effects used by Derek Sherinian on his Korg Trinity. Just relax and let this song carry you through wonderful atmospheres, deep melodies, accurate vocals and expressive guitar sections. Special thanks to John Petrucci and his Ibanez 7-string.

The remaining part of this EP is filled up with live covers of Elton John, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Kansas, Queen, Journey, Dixie Dregs and Genesis. In my opinion, it is not the perfect way to fill an EP, probably because I don't like live records [except for Iron Maiden and Rolling Stones]. If Dream Theater included some unreleased tracks, my rating would have been 10/10. By the way, A Change Of Seasons remains an excellent EP.

Written by | 16.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 135 users
16.06.2007 - 20:25
Rating: 9
Warman
Erotic Stains
Awesome song and probably my favourite EP. I love the live covers though so I think it deserves a damn strong 9!
----
16.06.2007 - 23:46
Rating: 8
BloodTears
ANA-thema
a change of seasons is probably one of my favourite songs ever. Its so in-your-skin, if that makes any sense.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
20.06.2007 - 00:42
Bsquared

Totally makes sense BloodTears A true goose-bump song
----
http://www.last.fm/user/Hobflop
05.07.2007 - 04:24
Noel Sonic
Account deleted
Great EP indeed! It shows great creativity of the band.
19.01.2008 - 03:22
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
great EP, change of seasons the song is absolutely brilliant but i agree with the review: the live tracks weren't the best way to finsiht the EP IMO... good review
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
25.07.2008 - 22:03
Rating: 10
Fat & Sassy!

One of my favorite songs ever. I just look at the live tracks a bonus, so I don't think it needs criticisms...
17.12.2008 - 23:35
bierdukhelmsplit
Account deleted
A Change of Seasons is one of the best songs ever. And I think that the live tracks are like putting extra chocolate ice cream in a bowl of chocolate ice cream. There's no downside.
20.12.2008 - 13:34
Njord
njord
Masterpiece!

"Change of Seasons" is probably the best song ever (along with Symphony X "The Odyssey") for prog fans so it's almost futile to say something about it, because the words will always be of praise.

About the album, I must confess, I rarely pass to the next songs, just because Change of Seasons is enough
31.07.2009 - 06:29
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Perfect stuff! The Perfect Strangers cover doesnt even seem to be a live track. Absolute perfect production!
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
31.07.2009 - 11:42
davidharris
Account deleted
I only listen to A Change of Seasons (the song) from this CD. It's a perfect rounded 10, though
27.07.2015 - 18:42
Rating: 9
BlankFile

Amazingly well structured song. Fabulous from start to finish.
14.02.2019 - 13:27
JoHn Doe

There is a live version of A Change of season , 1993, with Kevin Moore. Definitely worth checking out.
I tried to post it, but something went wrong. Not that deeply modified is the version from 1995, at least not deeply.
Here is the link.
https://youtu.be/0I6mSPzKcOc
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.

Hits total: 11028 | This month: 15