Metal Storm logo
Death metal vocals

Original post

Posted by , 19.06.2007 - 23:17
I have been trying to get some vocals sort of between Vader and Meshuggah but i cant do it and if i do i cant keep it up for long, any tips on how to scream/growl like this would be greatly appreciated.
25.08.2009 - 15:45
Throne Dweller

Written by Warman on 25.08.2009 at 15:16

Aren't you supposed to wait with growls until you're 16? I think I read that somewhere, has something to do with your vocal chords not being fully developed.

Well that's under a month away, but I can't see that being true considering the regularity and effectiveness of my own practice.
25.08.2009 - 20:27
Throne

You sound like a smart kid, you're very peticular, and quick to debate. However, I'd like to say smoking and growling is not as detrimental to your voice as you make it sound. Every metal vocalist I can think of smokes something, and why would I promote self destruction to people looking for advice, it's just what "I" do, not the status quo. All I know is if your voice hurts, or is sore afterwards, you need to stop, otherwise everyone can get through the beginning stages alone. Anyways, someday I hope to hear your style, but as of now, I hope we can agree I am in no way an amatuer at this.
26.08.2009 - 11:36
Throne Dweller

Written by Throne on 25.08.2009 at 20:27

You sound like a smart kid, you're very peticular, and quick to debate. However, I'd like to say smoking and growling is not as detrimental to your voice as you make it sound. Every metal vocalist I can think of smokes something, and why would I promote self destruction to people looking for advice, it's just what "I" do, not the status quo. All I know is if your voice hurts, or is sore afterwards, you need to stop, otherwise everyone can get through the beginning stages alone. Anyways, someday I hope to hear your style, but as of now, I hope we can agree I am in no way an amatuer at this.

Anyway, sorry for lashing out, shit day was shit.
Styles shift, but there's a common theme amongst it.
How long have you been practicing death metal vocals?
26.08.2009 - 18:27
Throne

I started really trying when I was about 17, looking for a vocalist, because I play guitar, so I just decided to do both. Then I really got good around 19, and was able to re-create any vocals I heard. So I started doing vocals and playing guitar, and my brain shifted, at first it was very hard to do both, then it just clicked, and I was able to do it.
26.08.2009 - 22:20
ANGEL REAPER

I've started with death metal vocals and screams with 16. nothing fucked up so far...But i don't have clean vocals so who give the fuck!!!!
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
27.08.2009 - 09:40
Throne Dweller

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 26.08.2009 at 22:20

I've started with death metal vocals and screams with 16. nothing fucked up so far...But i don't have clean vocals so who give the fuck!!!!

Well the theory is that if you can sing cleanly, you will have much better control and emotion in your metal vocals. Which I think is true, because being a fairly shit clean singer, I find myself having to focus a lot more on raising pitches and melodies to break away from monotonous growling/shrieking.

Throne, so I assume the perpetual quality began when you practiced a lot with your band? I find being amongst other musicians and music helps me figure out how hard to push, how much of it should be guttural and in general just how to make it feel more natural.
27.08.2009 - 19:56
Throne

Your exactly right, your also right about clean singing. I was the young "choir" type. I was raised singing. So it is more natural for me to be able to change pitches by controling my diaphram and breathing. Being with a band, and having the music to back you, makes your tone become a new kind of monster. Your lower diaphram will seriously be sore after the first few practices, and your stomach muscles will be extremely defined from doing metal vocals. It looks like I fucking do crunches all day. You will just become more and more powerful as time progresses.
28.08.2009 - 09:54
Throne Dweller

Written by Throne on 27.08.2009 at 19:56

Your exactly right, your also right about clean singing. I was the young "choir" type. I was raised singing. So it is more natural for me to be able to change pitches by controling my diaphram and breathing. Being with a band, and having the music to back you, makes your tone become a new kind of monster. Your lower diaphram will seriously be sore after the first few practices, and your stomach muscles will be extremely defined from doing metal vocals. It looks like I fucking do crunches all day. You will just become more and more powerful as time progresses.

I've noticed that exactly. It's a shame every band I've joined/created has been terribly unorganized; I think if I were to have consistent practice like that my growl would strengthen a lot more.

With your shrieks, are those just high-pitched growls, or do you the 'flex' technique commonly found in core bands? Because they sound fairly good, and somewhat nasal. I get the feeling they're just high-pitched growls since your lower grunt is more like Amon Amarth, in that it's very throaty.

I'm not exaggerating or trying to show off when I say that I feel that my growl is evolving into something Mikael Akerfeldt. The feeling is more from that back of the throat for the mid-pitches, and it's very guttural for the lows, which I hear very much from him. It's kind of weird how this has turned out, since I originally started by solely copying Nergal from Behemoth in 06, which is more of an extreme sigh.
28.08.2009 - 17:52
Throne

Yeah, the high shreiks I closed my throat and open my mouth, so it goes higher, and for my lows...(well the ones on the recordings) I make an "O" with my mouth and push my lower jaw forward, and if your going for more of an akerfeldt, you have to close your throat a little, and it will distort it.
01.09.2009 - 08:55
ANGEL REAPER

FUCK THE THEORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
01.09.2009 - 16:22
Warman
Erotic Stains
Well, fuck your voice then.
----
17.09.2009 - 21:51
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Warman on 01.09.2009 at 16:22

Well, fuck your voice then.

no sorry,I wanted to say this :"FUCK THE THE THEORY WITHOUT PRACTICE!!!!!!"
I know the theory well,thats way i have the vocal range like from deep growls to very high growls(even screams)!But i didn't accomplished that just by reading theory--no man---i practiced it all day long....
Am I wright,or not?
----
03.10.2009 - 01:11
The Night Wisher

This is my death vocals in this song : (Lyrics , Keyboard and Vocals by me)

http://rapidshare.com/files/287899138/3_Days_to_the_Apocalypse.mp3.html
08.10.2009 - 19:50
ANGEL REAPER

3_Days_to_the_Apocalypse,
I dint hear the track (im gonna do !)but its look like you were inspired by NIGHTWISH for the title?
----
09.10.2009 - 01:30
The Night Wisher

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 08.10.2009 at 19:50

3_Days_to_the_Apocalypse,
I dint hear the track (im gonna do !)but its look like you were inspired by NIGHTWISH for the title?

Well, the title yes, but the lyrics no, the lyrics is taken from a poem I've written ......
and what do you think about my growls ? (I am not gonna ask about the song cuz I know it sucks )
17.11.2009 - 05:23
Lord TJ

Written by The Night Wisher on 09.10.2009 at 01:30

what do you think about my growls?

Your growls are airy, but I can tell you have potential, keep practicing.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
21.11.2009 - 04:17
Lord TJ

If im right, the correct way includes not using your throat, how the hell are you supposed to make a growl sound without your throat? Pushing air with my diaphragm just makes an H sound.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

23.11.2009 - 00:33
The Night Wisher

Written by Lord TJ on 21.11.2009 at 04:17

If im right, the correct way includes not using your throat, how the hell are you supposed to make a growl sound without your throat? Pushing air with my diaphragm just makes an H sound.

That's the point, I've read a lot of learning tips and I saw the Diaphragm thing so I just did that "pushing air from my diaphragm" and it gave that shit, and btw yesterday I was in a concert so I met some Brutal growlers from the fans when I did growl in front of them they told me "that's not good at all" and when I asked the guy he told me he uses his throat with diaphragm ....so Any GOOD TIPS ? cuz i really wanna do sth with my death vocals ....
and here is me singing Bleak - Opeth , just check it out and tell me you opinion ..

http://www.2shared.com/file/9364052/abbfffc4/Bleak_Vocals_Cover.html
01.12.2009 - 21:29
ANGEL REAPER

Man,human beings are supposed to generate sounds by using of vocal chords in their's throats....
Growling(Singing)without using your throat is stupid idea from the start....
I have some high pitched growl,maybe even BM sound like,but i use my throat as only tool....
All other techs are just a simple ways to help your throat don't get messed up,and you end in hospital....
Growling without throat is myth!
----
20.12.2009 - 15:10
The Night Wisher

But there is a lot of different techniques, I started using my vocal chords with diaphragm it sounded better but well it do hurt a lot.
one more thing, I tried something in youtube about doing Falsetto screams "dani filth" , from the first scream I felt that my throat was fucked up and yeah it hurts a lot.Also I am trying to find out how to do Core growls "lamb of god"-style, do you have any idea about that ?
23.12.2009 - 21:18
ANGEL REAPER

Dany had an surgery on his vocal chords,and using a lot of electronic while record/play live.
Dont try that shit before you learn how to.
Tech,or no tech,while you are ure about what you are doing its all ok.
By the way I done Dany's screams-my souded ether
----
18.01.2010 - 21:44
ANGEL REAPER

Shit i just spotted my previous writing...well tat keyboard went to trash some time ago!

I think that everyone that even tried to do some death/black metal vocals felt that unpleasant feeling in throat after..well I just discover the way to avoid it!
Simple,after every show/rehersal/or singing in generally do following:
1.Eat some garlic
2.Eat some onions
3.Drink as much wather as you want

This works for me,and I heard that profesional singers often use this method to keap their's throats in good shape(seriously i dont bulshit you!)

Now,any questions?
----
23.01.2010 - 21:43
Lord TJ

Yea, what is garlic and onions do that keep your throat in good shape?
----

29.01.2010 - 12:12
ANGEL REAPER

Garlic kills all germs in your throat therefore on your's vocal cords
Onion relax em
trust me i tried and it works....
----
06.02.2010 - 23:09
The Night Wisher

But garlic and onion sucks a lot , I have a question : I can sound so good in death vocals but I feel a lot of vibration in my throat, then I feel the pain what shall I do to avoid that ?
16.02.2010 - 21:53
ANGEL REAPER

Make your growls up near the jaws that will fix the problem
BTW they maybe sucks but man :no pain no gain!
----
24.02.2010 - 21:21
ChaoCentric

Going off of what the OP put trying to achieve Vader/Messugah style vocals. To me they have more of a shout sound than a growl to me but i may be wrong but if you wish to achieve their vocals i always pull noise from my chest and constrict my throat. It may not be a proper technique but it has never bothered me. Although i didnt start growling until i was 18 and i am 6'3" and 250 lbs so size and having a naturaly deep voice probably lends a hand to my Growls. The Down side to my style is i cant do high screams for shit. They crack and pop alot and sound thin. If you want to give me a critique on my most recent venture into Death Metal go to ( mypace.com/theastralarsonist ) Im heavily influnced by Amon Amarth my voice is noticably airy on The Horn of Helimdal i was trying to make the growl lower natualy, I hate Pitch-Shifters.

The vocals for all of my latest music has been from the front of the throat with a lot of constriction.
----
When the Sky Darkens and the Prospect is War Whos given a gun and then Pushed to the fore!
25.02.2010 - 17:36
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Don't try to do vocals from your throat try to get them from your chest
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
05.03.2010 - 22:03
ANGEL REAPER

Or use yours upper parts of throat--->see what i have written before....
Practice,practice and nothing but practice!
----
10.03.2010 - 01:36
broadcastingsile

I don't think Dani is a good example of metal growling. When you listen to a COF song you can hear tons of effects on his voice.

But I used to be a pretty good inhale screamer until I quit. I kinda wanna start it again.
----
myspace.com/broadcastingsilence