Metal Storm logo
Agalloch

28.05.2006 - 00:39
Detric
King Of Twilight
Okay we had a thread about this amazing band before all the threads got deleted, so I think its time for a new one, especially because they are about to release their new album Ashes Against The Grain. I cant remember when it will be released but I think it was August 8th or something. For those who dont know Agalloch, they are very hard to categorize but ill say they are a doom metal band, with alot of influences from post rock, gothic and even black metal. You can listen to the track Falling Snow from their upcoming album right here: http://www.theendrecords.com/label/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=38

Listen to The Mantle, and you will understand what im talking about, words cannot descbribe my love for that album.

Ive heard the new album is already leaked, if anyone's got it, and wanna share just PM me, would be pretty cool, cause I just cant wait! Ill buy it when it comes out, no doubt about that, but im just so desperate.

Cover and tracklist:

01. Limbs
02. Falling Snow
03. This White Mountain on Which You Will Die
04. Fire Above, Ice Below
05. Not unlike the Waves
06. Our Fortress Is Burning... I
07. Our Fortress Is Burning... II - Bloodbirds
08. Our Fortress Is Burning... III - The Grain
28.05.2006 - 03:17
Danielazo
Account deleted
Ashes Against The Grain was fuckin' dissapointing... I only listened to it once, but found it less than half the good of The Mantle or Pale Folklore... first of all, it was a big change, I even consider it to be more Black Metal than Doom (specially by the totally BM vocals), and much of the atmosphere is lost...

If you think that Agalloch previous stuff was incredibly thrilling and unique, prepare to find a generic, boring and unisnpired Black/Doom release here. I would call it the dissapointment of the year.
28.05.2006 - 05:18
Eternal Flames
Well I really loved Pake Folklore and The Mantle. Both were masterpieces. They had a great atmosphere, although personally for me I preferred Pale Folklore. It was the first album I heard by them so it's something special to me. As much as I am really excited to hear the new album, I think I will actually wait to the release date. I prefer not to download leaked albums. The Mantle was also a great release, and I am hoping that Ashes Against the Grain won't be as disappointing as Danielazo mentioned, although it would be pretty damn hard to release an album that tops Pale Folklore or The Mantle.
28.05.2006 - 08:08
Danielazo
Account deleted
Don't take me seriously, I only listened to the album once and wasn't specially in good mood, I just was expecting something similar to The Mantle and the new album is a is a big change, but that can be something good after all... I hope it will grow with time, as all Agalloch stuff had made before.
28.05.2006 - 09:34
Vrana
I love Agalloch! The atmosphere, vocals are just great! They really kick ass and I hope that with their new album is going to be like that too.... I can't wait to hear it. I've heard Falling snow and I must say, that it's really good song, I hope that other songs are going to be familiar, but still, unique.
28.05.2006 - 15:13
Detric
King Of Twilight
Thanks to Southern Wind for sending me the new album. I cant really give my opinion right now, because Agalloch needs some time...But so far its really really good!
28.05.2006 - 22:35
The Walrus
Moonsorrow
I like Agalloch very much , they are definitly special band , they are all talanted there , as some people here already mentioned , the atmosphere is great .
The first Agalloch album i have listened to was Pale Folkore ,and the songs "she painted fire across the skyline " all parts are just amazing .
The mantle is good album , but i still didn't listened to it that much good , i listened only to the 3 first songs ,and seems this album is better then Pale Folkore .
@Southern Wind
Didn't see you for long time in the forum .
but i have a question how did you get the new Agalloc halbum ?
----
29.05.2006 - 18:39
noks
Account deleted
Great topic. As you know, Detric, you introduced me to Agalloch. At first, I was not quite sure how to handle the music. After some time i listened again (maybe I was in a better mood ), and I dropped my jaw. I stormed to the store and bought The Mantle, which still (and forever will be) one of my favourite albums. I have heard Ashes Against the Grain, and my first impression was "what?", but it seems to grow on me!

I still have the pleasure to discover 'Pale Folkore'
30.05.2006 - 03:57
Southern Wind
Account deleted
@Timor: let's say I have my sources hehehe... if you want it just pm me

well, I had listened to Ashes Against The Grain two more times and I find it much better than before... it has a great atmosphere and the BM elements that shocked me at first... well, I had learned to like them a lot... don't take seriously my first post on this thread then
31.05.2006 - 00:56
noks
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.05.2006 at 03:57

well, I had listened to Ashes Against The Grain two more times and I find it much better than before... it has a great atmosphere and the BM elements that shocked me at first... well, I had learned to like them a lot... don't take seriously my first post on this thread then

It's just so great when music grows on you. I'm listening to the album whereever I go in my car, and it's become more and more fantastic
12.06.2006 - 20:33
Detric
King Of Twilight
Finally they got their own official homepage at www.agalloch.org

You can listen to the fantastic song, Not Unlike The Waves from their forthcoming album.
20.06.2006 - 01:30
Detric
King Of Twilight
Taken from Blabbermouth:

Portland's Agalloch have been confirmed as openers for the Portland, OR date of the Moonspell/Kataonia/Daylight Dies tour on November 3 at Rock N' Roll Pizza.

Agalloch's much-anticipated new album, "Ashes against the Grain", is due out August 8 on The End Records. The band recently filmed a video for the song "Not Unlike The Waves" with director Nicole Phillips and cinematographers Richard Stark and Juan Mosqueda. It is currently in the editing process. Over nine hours of footage was shot in three days and the results are quite stunning thus far. To film aficionados, the style of the video will call to mind the work of Ingmar Bergman, Mario Bava, and the German Expressionist movement.
20.06.2006 - 03:02
Susan
Smeghead
elite
Written by Detric on 20.06.2006 at 01:30

[i]Portland's Agalloch have been confirmed as openers for the Portland, OR date of the Moonspell/Kataonia/Daylight Dies tour on November 3 at Rock N' Roll Pizza.

[i]

I'm so there... I am SO there!!!!!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
20.06.2006 - 04:07
Detric
King Of Twilight
I wish they would go on a world tour or something, I would die to see Agalloch live..
21.06.2006 - 05:04
IgarTheTerrible
Account deleted
I love Ashes against the grain! It had me hooked from the hauntingly beautiful guitar opening. Although it is very different from their previous releases it still has that agalloch feel to it. I hope you aren't all to hung up about clean vocals, or vocals in general, because vocals are much scarcer here then they were on previous releases. The acoustic guitar has also seemed to have taken the back seat to the electric guitar. It difficult for me to say whether or not this album is better then the mantle or folklore, but i can say that it deffinitly is on par with it. But then again I can't say whether The mantle is better then pale folklore either; It is completly up to the listener and his or her musical tastes.

It seems that agalloch went for a darker feel to their music because the folk elements, while still eviedent, have also been overpowered by an almost post-rock feel. Ashes may dissapoint the more needy listeners, but I believe that If you listen to it with an open mind that you will enjoy it. Agalloch did exactly what I expected them to do with Ashes against the grain; Make something that sounds new and refreshing, but with an undeniable agalloch feel to it. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I am.

PS: Those who download it had better buy it if they like it! Or else!
23.06.2006 - 03:22
Nickwillnotbe
Yeah, I am going to be seeing Agalloch TWICE this year. How fucking badass is that? I'll be seeing them in July when they play a show in Portland with the awsome sludge band, Giant Squid. I will (hopefully) be seeing them again when they open for Katatonia. Getting to see two of my favorite bands TWICE in one year? Yeah. \m/

Also, as far as the new CD sounding "post-rock" that really doesn't surprise me at all. The band members are fans of GY!BE and other post rock bands. I like post rock though, so I don't mind at all ;P
04.07.2006 - 00:25
rebelos
Account deleted
i like all of their albums!
Pale Folklore is my favorite...
BM elements combined with Doom atmosphere... simply amazing!
05.07.2006 - 01:18
lazarus
I haven't heard the new album, but I do expect another masterpiece as their previous albums. So great they finally have their own website.
----
And sometimes I despair
At who I've become
I have to come to terms
With what I've done
12.07.2006 - 03:59
nick35
Account deleted
pale folklore is the only album of theirs that i have heard right now. all over the internet they are rated good. some forum on another website was holding a contest about best band and agalloch got number two. katatonia got number one
17.07.2006 - 15:04
Algorab
Account deleted
Agalloch is one of my favourite bands. From the new album I have heard "Not Unlike the Waves" on their website -- which is by the way, nice that they have finally gotten one -- and it seemed to have less folk elements than their previous work. Still, it had an Agallochish sound. I am looking forward to listening to the album when it is released.

Also, I heard somewhere, it was several months ago, that "Ashes Against the Grain" would probably be Agalloch's last album, and they would not produce any after that. Does anyone have more recent information about this?
17.07.2006 - 23:36
Detric
King Of Twilight
I dont think AATG will be their last album, this band is just getting started! When this album is released everybody in the metal scene will know Agalloch thats for sure, which ofcourse is a good thing, they derserve some more credit for their amazing work.
28.07.2006 - 17:48
Detric
King Of Twilight
01.08.2006 - 16:12
Detric
King Of Twilight
Wow I never thought I should see Agalloch live, but now I have the opportunity, fantastic! Novembers Doom are headlining and Agalloch are supporting.

8/04/06 Fri @ The Elbo Room - San Francisco, CA (with Ludicra and Snakes)
11/03/06 Fri @ The Gravity Room - Portland, OR (with Moonspell, Katatonia)
11/17/06 Fri @ Plato - Helmond, Netherlands (With Novembers Doom and Thurisaz)
11/18/06 Sat @ Biebob - Vosselaar, Belgium (With Novembers Doom, Saturnus & Thurisaz)
11/19/06 Sun @ Netherlands (Tba)
11/20/06 Mon @ Copenhagen, Denmark (With Novembers Doom, Saturnus & Thurisaz)
11/21/06 Tue @ K17 - Berlin, Germany (With Novembers Doom and Thurisaz)
11/22/06 Wed @ Steinbuc Theater - Darmstadt, Germany (With Novembers Doom and Thurisaz)
01.08.2006 - 16:30
Damnated
Churchburner
Did anyone notice, that this band isn't featured on Doom-Metal.com ?
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
02.08.2006 - 21:57
IgarTheTerrible
Account deleted
What makes them doom metal besides the lyrics?
03.08.2006 - 19:57
Freezer
i adore The Mantle, but haven't yet found the other discs, i can't wait to put my hands on them!!
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
15.08.2006 - 19:51
noks
Account deleted
Man, I can't wait 'till November! It's going to be a blast. Seeing one of my favourite bands with a good friend.
I bought Ashes Against the Grain at Wacken. It came with a sleeve, which i didnt expect. It's cool, nice booklet with lyrics.
20.08.2006 - 00:23
Konrad
Mormon Storm
The new CD rips. Filled with tons of emotion, I love it!
----
Brujerizmo!
29.10.2006 - 01:12
Grey_Dandelion
Agalloch and Dark tranquillity are the best bands in the world-Ashes against the grain is perfect-i cant remember how many times i ve heard it!Especially bloodbirds is beyond any imagination!Let Agalloch magic fill your soul....
----
Don't turn away just take my hand and when you make your final stand i ll be right there i ll never leave all i ask of you is believe...
29.10.2006 - 06:28
Metal_Misstress
Account deleted
Agalloch is Amazing.

The album "The Mantle" Is Awesome