Metal Storm logo
Agalloch

Original post

Posted by Detric, 28.05.2006 - 00:39
Okay we had a thread about this amazing band before all the threads got deleted, so I think its time for a new one, especially because they are about to release their new album Ashes Against The Grain. I cant remember when it will be released but I think it was August 8th or something. For those who dont know Agalloch, they are very hard to categorize but ill say they are a doom metal band, with alot of influences from post rock, gothic and even black metal. You can listen to the track Falling Snow from their upcoming album right here: http://www.theendrecords.com/label/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=38

Listen to The Mantle, and you will understand what im talking about, words cannot descbribe my love for that album.

Ive heard the new album is already leaked, if anyone's got it, and wanna share just PM me, would be pretty cool, cause I just cant wait! Ill buy it when it comes out, no doubt about that, but im just so desperate.

Cover and tracklist:

01. Limbs
02. Falling Snow
03. This White Mountain on Which You Will Die
04. Fire Above, Ice Below
05. Not unlike the Waves
06. Our Fortress Is Burning... I
07. Our Fortress Is Burning... II - Bloodbirds
08. Our Fortress Is Burning... III - The Grain
06.11.2010 - 23:48
flickaa

Im seeing them w00t !
07.11.2010 - 22:52
Detric
King Of Twilight
I dont like the new album. There are few good songs, but overall a huge disappointed for me. Where is the magic from the other records? Some of the songs even sounds like its just rough rehearsel material. I know its harsh, but I never expected such a low standard from an amazing band like Agalloch. I can listen to The Mantle a million times whithout getting bored. When ive listned to this album once, I easily forget it.. Well it had to end somewhere.. Guess this is it. They still have some good records, luckily, but this is a band that got worse with time, except for The Mantle which will always be one of my fav metal albums ever.
08.11.2010 - 02:45
Culty

Maybe just give it time to grow on you. Cause I really really like it. :p
----
Gfnttlr
08.11.2010 - 11:18
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Detric on 07.11.2010 at 22:52

Some of the songs even sounds like its just rough rehearsel material. I know its harsh, but I never expected such a low standard from an amazing band like Agalloch.

I've had such thoughts too. Just check the fast beginning of "Into the Painted Grey". Riffs, and especially drumming, seem simply clumsy, sloppy and amateurish.

I still haven't decided what to think about this album. I'll give it a few more listens.
09.11.2010 - 01:29
MetalSpider

I was never a big fan of the band but I have both the Mantle and Ashes Against the Grain and I remember liking them when I first heard them, but its been quite a while since Ive listened to those 2 albums.

I just listened to the lastest album and its alright. I'll have to listen to it again before I can really make my judgement on it.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
10.11.2010 - 16:16
Mikyz

Written by Daniell on 08.11.2010 at 11:18

Written by Detric on 07.11.2010 at 22:52

Some of the songs even sounds like its just rough rehearsel material. I know its harsh, but I never expected such a low standard from an amazing band like Agalloch.

I've had such thoughts too. Just check the fast beginning of "Into the Painted Grey". Riffs, and especially drumming, seem simply clumsy, sloppy and amateurish.

I still haven't decided what to think about this album. I'll give it a few more listens.

I don't hear the amateurism, it might not be as good as their previous stuff but it's still a quality album in my opinion I listened to it more than just a couple of times, it isn't similar to any of their previous stuff but they still manage to create an amazing atmosphere, "Into The Painted Grey"'s fast-paced approach and the rest of the song make me feel as if as I was in the eye of a storm, It's far from clumsy. I wasn't expecting something that I'd enjoy this much. :/
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
11.11.2010 - 01:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Have never really liked Agalloch. I could tell they had some quality going on in their music but I've never clicked with it. However, I'm halfway through 'Into the Painted Grey' and rather enjoying it. Good stuff. Hope the rest of the record maintains my interest. It's true though, nothing sloppy or amateurish about the drums. They're veiled under some cloudy production but it's still very competent.

[EDIT]

Pretty good so far but 'Black Lake Nidstång' doesn't seem to be going anywhere; sounds like a poor man's Cult of Luna build-up at them moment. Has been great up to this point anyway.
20.11.2010 - 14:26
Detric
King Of Twilight
Biggest disappointment this year for me.
20.11.2010 - 22:58
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Album of the year for me. Really enjoying it. Hear something new on each listen. Getting this for my metal friends as Christmas gifts.
21.11.2010 - 00:24
Elio
Red Nightmare
Detric, you kidding? Metal album of the year for me too, either this one or Enslaved.

Also on the level of this incredible band's other works.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
21.11.2010 - 04:45
ß
Problem?
Maybe he had high expectations and it failed to deliver, who knows? I haven't listened to it and don't plan to for awhile, seeing as I have enough to listen to already. I shall get around to it eventually, whenever that may be.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
25.11.2010 - 20:12
Zuzuz0r

Black Lake Nidstång has to be one of the best songs I've ever listened in my whole life.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
03.12.2010 - 08:12
tweetbombardier

Fire Above, Ice Below is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard. Seriously, I don't think it's scientifically possible to get more epic than that. I haven't checked out the new album, yet...
04.12.2010 - 16:35
The Turbanator

So what are the reviews of the new album? I hear mix feelings about this.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
05.12.2010 - 02:05
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by The Turbanator on 04.12.2010 at 16:35

ooohh, i get to answer first....

i only loved one song, and liked another..the others were ok....

id rate it a 7
05.12.2010 - 04:28
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 04.12.2010 at 16:35

Yeah, the reviews have been mixed. Some people don't like it. Decibel Magazine just named it album of the year. I really enjoyed it. It has some very different elements on it, but with Agalloch you have to expect the unexpected. I would say give it a listen online, like on youtube or something then decide for yourself if you want to get it
18.12.2010 - 03:34
Joker

One of the best bands ever, unique sounds and influences, i make music myself and it's based on this band's influence. the last album Marrow is slightly beyond the older stuff, but if you look at this genre, you'll find it a bit difficult to overtop yourself every album, besides everything i heard in the genre of post-folk-rock-metal-doomy thing pretty sucks and are just random music that goes nowhere, these guys gave it some spirit, their last album is still enjoyable and still agalloch after all but not their best..cheers
19.12.2010 - 14:09
Detric
King Of Twilight
Well, for me this band couldnt take it any further with Marrow and thats a shame. With that being said, Pale Folklore and especially The Mantle is some of the best metal I have ever heard, and some of the most (at that time) innovative stuff for sure. They will never be able to touch those records. Still a decent band, cause Marrow is an okay album for me that grows slowly.. But lets see where it takes me in a couple of months.. Who knows..
20.12.2010 - 02:13
Susan
Smeghead
I saw them live last night and the new material they played sounded amazing. What great honest energy they had; you fans who are not enjoying the new album would probably have dug the performance as much as those of us that do. It was a great setlist, songs from the new album, from The Mantle, from Ashes, and also oldie "Of Stone, Wind, And Pillor," which was a nice surprise for me.

Marrow of the Spirit is not their best album ever, but so what? It's still a wonderful piece of music and fits nicely into the band's catalogue. I love it and it'll definitely be on my Top 10 of the year list. To Drown might be my favourite song... I can't get enough of that march rhythm on the last half.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
23.12.2010 - 21:19
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I was at that show too, and it was really good. Too bad I had to leave after only three songs :/

I listened to Marrow of the Spirit on headphones last night, and I like it even more now. Makes me want to go camping
24.12.2010 - 01:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Listemed to it about 30 times now and still find it to be average at best though stillbetter than the previous one. It's as if these guys shot their load with The Mantle. i was expecting so much of Marrow and I got so little. Majore disappointment. Up there in the letdown department with the piece of crap released by Cathedrak, okay Marrow is almost infinitely superior that that pile of shite, but I expected so much more of hese two bands :-(
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.12.2010 - 01:30
IronAngel

I'm a casual listener at best, but I think Marrow sounds the most pleasant and distinct of the three last albums. I've never really sat down and listened to The Mantle or AATG and I've only listened to Marrow five times or so. But as far as background music goes, this one seems to be my favorite.

That said, I've listened to them with such half-heartedness that I'm sure my opinions would be completely different if I ever paid more attention. I just found them so average and "nice" at best that I can't be bothered to give them a chance. I'm sure there's good stuff there if I stick with it, but there's plenty of equally good stuff that I can dig without feeling like it's a chore.
24.12.2010 - 18:51
rekkuza-

Agalloch is my meditation music. Stuff I listen to to help hush the angry thoughts evoked my teenage raging hormones.

They have indeed taken a DIFFERENT turn with Marrow of the Spirit. None of the other songs caught my immediate attention except for Black Lake and Monolith... The other songs sounded too messy, upon first listening to them. It was as if they tried to squeeze too much into such little space...
----
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it- Oscar Wilde
24.12.2010 - 20:50
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Dangerboner on 23.12.2010 at 21:19

I was at that show too, and it was really good. Too bad I had to leave after only three songs :/

Man, that has to suck so hard! The chance to see Agalloch, and then...
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
24.12.2010 - 20:53
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Ah, it's all good - I'm content with what I saw. Three Agalloch songs is at least 20 minutes, if not longer
30.12.2010 - 00:14
Southern Wind
Account deleted
One of the dissapointments of the year... it has a few good songs but most of The Marrow Of The Spirit sounds like a band not knowing where to go to... And the long instrumental passages suck. Too bad, especialy considering how much I like this band's previous releases (except The Mantle) and how long I waited for this one... let's only wait to see if it grows with time.
20.01.2011 - 06:15
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Agalloch have announced an East Coast U.S. tour on their myspace.
20.01.2011 - 11:37
Metallicazoom

Agalloch has one album that I adore "The mantle" really amazing effort they've done

Best regards,

Dio
----
There's no greater sorrow, than recall happiness in times of misery ......
05.03.2011 - 13:04
vapotrini2

Just discovered this band. I haven't heard all of their stuff as yet but from the 8-10 songs I've heard so far... Holy fucking shit - awesome, awesome stuff!

Where has this gem of a band been hiding??? I must really be out of touch.

Thank you Metal Storm!
05.03.2011 - 16:25
Luneth
Account deleted
Still think Pale Folklore is their best album, maybe it's that whole 'first is always the best' paradigm, but I find myself able to listen to the album from start to finish on consecutive occasions. Their other release, Ashes Against the Grain, is probably my second favourite of theirs, but what really made PF shine is its accessibility. I was at a mates the other night and had the album on me, we were all high and drunk so I suggested we listen to this amazing album. They are always sceptical of my music, but gave this a chance and absolutely loved it, and are now exploring metal a lot more. That really highlighted to me what a quality album PF is.