05. Ali
06. Raging Void
07. Guardians Of Earth
08. The Pentagram
09. Autem
10. Quadra
11. Agony Of Defeat
12. Fear; Pain; Chaos; Suffering [feat. Emmily Barreto]

Have you realized that Derrick Green has been a member of Sepultura twice as long as Max? I know, it's preposterous.

Fact #1: Sepultura's trilogy from Schizophrenia up to Arise is historical proof of how majestic thrash metal can be. Nothing released from this band after 1991 ever came close to this level of greatness and nothing ever will in the future.
Fact #2: The band's releases after Chaos A.D. and up to Machine Messiah ranged from 'not good' to 'what-the-fuck-is-this-shit' and most of them were so horrendous that it amazes me that Sepultura still exist as a band and people are still somehow interested in what they put out.
Fact #3: Eloy Casagrande is a drum prodigy and the absolute best thing that has happened to them during their post-Cavalera years, and since his recruitment they have been making some very unexpected progress.
Fact #4: Machine Messiah was the first listenable - and even fine - album (from start to finish) by Sepultura after Chaos A.D.
Fact #5: The two tracks revealed before the release of Quadra, "Isolation" and "Last Time", left a lot to hope for.
Fact #6: If you expected a 180° turn towards Beneath The Remains or Arise, because of these two tracks, hold your horses.

As its name suggests, Quadra is roughly divided in four parts, where each part features three songs. The first part is the more aggressive and thrashy side of the band, and it sounds fucking awesome. Yeah, that simple. Especially the main riff of "Isolation" is proof of how influential the song "Arise" has been for thrash; hundreds of bands have tried to craft something equally jaw-dropping, and Sepultura come very close with this song. The second triptych of the album then incorporates a more rhythmic, groovy, and Roots-styled approach, while the third part is more experimental and progressive with "Guardians Of Earth" being an absolute delight. Finally, the closing tracks are more melodic and 'soft', with acoustic guitars, female vocals, and oriental and symphonic passages. All the aforementioned elements blend well within the songs themselves so that there isn't so much of an impression that we are merely being offered four different EPs packaged as one LP.

The performances are generally very good, even Green is not annoying for the second album in a row, and Jens Bogren's production is just flawless. But credit must be given where credit is due. The guitar work is tremendous but it is Eloy Casagrande who has steered the whole Sepultura ship to the right direction; before him the band had hit the iceberg, now they are sailing back to glory after so many years. Whatever style he plays, be it groovy, thrashy, jazzy, funky, heavy, proggy, he does it with such power, passion and precision that Quadra is worth your time and money just to admire his skills. I think he motivates everyone in the band to become better and he is the perfect combination of the bestial insanity of early thrash and the complex technique and innovation of prog.

Quadra is a very enjoyable metal album. It mixes raw thrash with tribal percussion, orchestral elements, choirs, progressive parts, emotive melodies, and clean vocals in a way that feels cohesive and unique at the same time. Andreas Kisser says that "There is no reason to put out an album unless you've got something new to tell. A lot of bands out there are slaves of themselves, trying to repeat their formula. That's stupid! You have to respect the past but you are here now. So... do something different!" I don't particularly agree with him. To me, if you are a musician your first concern must be that your music is good and if you manage to offer something new as well, that's a very welcome little extra. Sepultura can definitely not be accused of offering the same microwave-reheated dish with every album to their fans, but they have been rightfully bashed for putting out some really bad music. With Machine Messiah and now with Quadra they have managed to innovate and write good songs at the same time. This is a win-win situation for them and their fans.

"Already crossed that line
Lucky I'm alive"

Written on 04.02.2020 by Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

Comments

Comments: 41   Visited by: 405 users
04.02.2020 - 20:25
JoHn Doe

Clean vocals and progressive parts? For real?
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
04.02.2020 - 20:28
nikarg

Written by JoHn Doe on 04.02.2020 at 20:25

Clean vocals and progressive parts? For real?

Oh yes. And they sound good too.
04.02.2020 - 20:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
To me band is Dead after 1991, fav song always will be inner self
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.02.2020 - 21:02
JoHn Doe

Written by Bad English on 04.02.2020 at 20:52

To me band is Dead after 1991, fav song always will be inner self

thank you captain Obvious
I only have two of their albums, Beneath the Remains and Arise, but i will give this new one a chance and give it a listen and see what the fuss is all about.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
04.02.2020 - 21:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I tried new albums. They sucjed for me, new MetallicA is better
----

apos;'
[image]
04.02.2020 - 22:27
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
I've honestly never listened to any post - Max Sepultura. Is this a good place to start?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
04.02.2020 - 23:13
s_t_s

I stopped reading after you wrote that every album released after Chaos A.D. was crap. I don't agree, ROOTS was a great album as well! Nevertheless Sepultura died in 1996 to me. Period.
05.02.2020 - 00:32
Desha
delicious dish
I was really hoping they used the momentum they got on Machine Messiah and it seems this one is even better? Looking forward to it now

Written by Auntie Sahar on 04.02.2020 at 22:27

I've honestly never listened to any post - Max Sepultura. Is this a good place to start?

might as well, basically after Roots there was a long down time. Only the last 3 have been decent imo. People Also like Dante. But definitely Machine Messiah or as it seems this one would be the best ones after Max.
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
05.02.2020 - 00:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

NO if you are True die hard band fan... I tried once cant do it
----

apos;'
[image]
05.02.2020 - 00:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by s_t_s on 04.02.2020 at 23:13

I stopped reading after you wrote that every album released after Chaos A.D. was crap. I don't agree, ROOTS was a great album as well! Nevertheless Sepultura died in 1996 to me. Period.

I did listen roots when i was 16, friends gave me a tape. Later i find out there are better metal, to me band died 91
----

apos;'
[image]
05.02.2020 - 02:01
nikarg

Yes, this is a good place to start. Or the previous one, Machine Messiah. Except these two, you don't really have to listen to anything else post-Max.
05.02.2020 - 02:31
Maco
Pvt Funderground

You kidding? Roots is horseshit.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
05.02.2020 - 08:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Maco on 05.02.2020 at 02:31

Hey amszones is close to you, its tribute to Electric eal and other forest things like poison darts,...
----

apos;'
[image]
05.02.2020 - 09:43
Rating: 8
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Slight disagree on #2, but I'm not gonna tell you that those albums in between are without duds, just that for pretty much every release in between I found a bunch of songs I liked and I always thought they were overhated. The closer you get to Machine Messiah, the more decent stuff. Those two "Firestarted" and "Just One Fix" covers on Kairos were my favorite thing at one point, and "Grief" from The Mediator as well.

That said, the best of post-Max Sepultura are only relative to the worst Soulfly.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
05.02.2020 - 09:55
Rating: 7
Ball Fondlers

Excellent review, really well written. I didn't think I would ever listen to any new Sepultura again, but I think I will give this a try going off what you've said. And I've never had an issue with Greens vocals, it's always been the music that is the issue. They also still play the old stuff pretty well live, whereas the new stuff is pure shit. It's like two different bands up there
05.02.2020 - 11:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by RaduP on 05.02.2020 at 09:43

Slight disagree on #2, but I'm not gonna tell you that those albums in between are without duds, just that for pretty much every release in between I found a bunch of songs I liked and I always thought they were overhated. The closer you get to Machine Messiah, the more decent stuff. Those two "Firestarted" and "Just One Fix" covers on Kairos were my favorite thing at one point, and "Grief" from The Mediator as well.

That said, the best of post-Max Sepultura are only relative to the worst Soulfly.

Soylfy and kavalera are horrible bands,
----

apos;'
[image]
05.02.2020 - 15:42
The Witchfinder
Account deleted
Chaos A.D. >>>>>> Morbid Visions/Schizophrenia/Beneath The Remains (which isn't bad but terribly overrated and underwhelming compared to Arise)

I'd also place Roots above their mediocre death/thrash albums, and whatever the fuck this crap album is.
05.02.2020 - 16:59
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Bad English on 05.02.2020 at 08:54

its tribute to Electric eal and other forest things like poison darts,...

I don't give a shit, last awesome album with the Cavaleras was Arise.
----
05.02.2020 - 17:09
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Guest on 05.02.2020 at 15:42

Chaos A.D. >>>>>> Morbid Visions/Schizophrenia/Beneath The Remains (which isn't bad but terribly overrated and underwhelming compared to Arise)

I'd also place Roots above their mediocre death/thrash albums, and whatever the fuck this crap album is.

Imagine being this wrong
----
05.02.2020 - 17:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Maco on 05.02.2020 at 16:59

Written by Bad English on 05.02.2020 at 08:54

its tribute to Electric eal and other forest things like poison darts,...

I don't give a shit, last awesome album with the Cavaleras was Arise.

I an Messing whit you, i agree, Stay True and defend as I
----

apos;'
[image]
05.02.2020 - 17:28
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Hot take:
The last actually great Sepultura album was Bestial Devastation
----
05.02.2020 - 17:36
nikarg

Written by RaduP on 05.02.2020 at 17:28

Hot take:
The last actually great Sepultura album was Bestial Devastation

Yeah, they clearly became sell-outs after that.
05.02.2020 - 21:02
The Witchfinder
Account deleted
Imagine liking Bestial Devastation.
05.02.2020 - 22:28
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Guest on 05.02.2020 at 21:02

Imagine liking Bestial Devastation.

You've never been in South America it seems.
----
05.02.2020 - 23:30
Desha
delicious dish
Written by Maco on 05.02.2020 at 22:28

You've never been in South America it seems.

I don't recall Bestial Devastation being gay, about ass and partying
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
06.02.2020 - 15:03
s_t_s

Written by Maco on 05.02.2020 at 02:31

Nope it's not horseshit because I dont like horshit yet I liked this album.
07.02.2020 - 12:31
nikarg

Written by Ball Fondlers on 05.02.2020 at 09:55

Excellent review, really well written. I didn't think I would ever listen to any new Sepultura again, but I think I will give this a try going off what you've said.

Thanks, let me know what you think when you listen.
08.02.2020 - 09:40
Stormm

Written by nikarg on 05.02.2020 at 02:01

Yes, this is a good place to start. Or the previous one, Machine Messiah. Except these two, you don't really have to listen to anything else post-Max.

I can't agree! Dante was pretty good. It was only too short.
10.02.2020 - 01:30
metalchiva

I think theyve been putting decent albums since Dante... youre being to harsh on them
10.02.2020 - 11:48
Rating: 7
Ball Fondlers

Written by nikarg on 07.02.2020 at 12:31

Written by Ball Fondlers on 05.02.2020 at 09:55

Excellent review, really well written. I didn't think I would ever listen to any new Sepultura again, but I think I will give this a try going off what you've said.

Thanks, let me know what you think when you listen.

I've listen to it twice, which says something already that it was worth a re-listen. It's pretty decent, quite surprising, and I like the variety on show. I think some songs will get a bit annoying after a few more listens, but I'm willing to give it a few more spins. For me, easily the best Derrick Green album

Hits total: 10350 | This month: 26