10. Neon Epitaph
11. Untrodden
12. Closing Of The Sky [deluxe limited edition bonus]
13. Fighters [Enter The Hunt cover] [deluxe limited edition bonus]

The Best Alternative Metal Album Of 2020

Staff review by
RaduP
Rating:
When I first heard the first single from City Burials, "Lacquer", I actually hoped, no matter how absurd that would be, that the rest of the album would be in that vein. That didn't happen. But surprise, the album is still pretty good.

Read more ››
published 02.05.2020 | Comments (12)

Found in 38 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 81   Visited by: 976 users
27.04.2020 - 10:50
Rating: 8
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Guest on 27.04.2020 at 09:40

Are we not allowed to ask questions and/or critique the site?

You are. We still don't owe you an answer for a question we honestly don't really get where it comes from.

Quote:

All I did was ask a simple question and all of the fanboys came out of the woodwork ready for a fight just because I disagree with them.

Amazing how you manage to victimize yourself like that.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
27.04.2020 - 10:53
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

Written by nikarg on 27.04.2020 at 01:04

Of course you don't owe an explanation to anyone just like Metal Storm doesn't owe you an explanation for the fact that Katatonia is here. It's pretty self-explanatory.

just because I disagree with them.

If this is your explanation to it, then boy you need to work upon how to give a factual disagreement.

Written by Guest on 26.04.2020 at 09:06

WTF is this doing on metalstorm??? Am I on the wrong site???????

"pop sounding music on my favourite metal site"
27.04.2020 - 12:01
nikarg
Staff

That makes zero sense. Are we not allowed to ask questions and/or critique the site?

All I did was ask a simple question and all of the fanboys came out of the woodwork ready for a fight just because I disagree with them.

I may be wrong but I didn't see anyone trying to fight you. Of course you can ask questions and/or critique the site. Depending on how you ask the questions though, you must be willing to accept replies on the same note, no? Everyone knows that Katatonia is here because they used to play metal, just like Ulver did, as well as many other bands that are here. Whether you like or not the shift that they did to alternative rock ages ago is another story. I am not particularly thrilled with the music they play today either, but questioning why they are featured in the site is what makes zero sense.

In any case, no harm done. Let's get back to topic, which is their latest album, shall we?
27.04.2020 - 13:53
Theodore V
Account deleted
Written by nikarg on 27.04.2020 at 12:01

In any case, no harm done. Let's get back to topic, which is their latest album, shall we?

no harm done? that's rich... I got mobbed by people acting like children as if I had just taken their candy away. just goes to show that metal-heads are no different from any other fanboys no matter how some like to boast about it
27.04.2020 - 14:19
Rating: 8
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Guest on 27.04.2020 at 13:53

just goes to show that metal-heads are no different from any other fanboys no matter how some like to boast about it

Oh, yeah, you tell me about it.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
27.04.2020 - 14:20
JoHn Doe
Written by Guest on 27.04.2020 at 13:53

Written by nikarg on 27.04.2020 at 12:01

no harm done? that's rich... I got mobbed by people acting like children as if I had just taken their candy away. just goes to show that metal-heads are no different from any other fanboys no matter how some like to boast about it

so you act like a troll and expect no reaction? Or consequences...
if you dislike this album, just say it, you got the right to, no trolling necessary.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
27.04.2020 - 14:23
Rating: 6
Absinthe
Katatonia has been one of my favourite bands over 20+ years.

I'm going to give this several more listens before I settle on my opinion of this album, but as of now, after about 6 or 7 plays, I'm really not buzzing with it. I'm sort of surprised it's getting so many good ratings actually.

Fairly flat songs; Jonas meandering across the riffs with nothing melodies; very few highlights. Bit of a worry really. I guess time will tell and I'm not giving up hope that this will be better when drunk or something...
27.04.2020 - 14:31
nikarg
Staff
Thank you Absinthe for bringing us back to topic. Any future comment irrelevant to the thread will be deleted. In case anyone wants further explanations, there are private messages.
28.04.2020 - 00:53
X-FrEaK
As for City Burials...man...I even pre ordered the album after I saw Katatonia's post on facebook asking fans to support them, and it made every sense in this day and age. I usually buy albums that I like and not ones that I havent heard yet, but well, no harm done, I would support Katatonia always as they have been there since the beginning of my metal days. Having said that, this album is bland, boring. I cant pinpoint exactly what went wrong, I just dont click with any song (the first three ones are the best ones though). I wasnt a fan of their previous album either, but this one is worse, and with the shortening of the songs you would expect there to be catchy singles, nop...nothing. Its weird, I hate to review albums like this, because I cannot say whats wrong about them but at the end of the day the songs just dont stick.
----
28.04.2020 - 12:59
Rating: 9
Don't know why people didnt like this album ,it feels like katatonia and it sounds like it , they always deliver good albums and that is one darn good album . Lets hope they keep up the good work.
28.04.2020 - 15:54
Rating: 7
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
I have to concur with several of the other comments I'm seeing here.

I'm a huge Katatonia fan, particularly of their style shift that started with Viva Emptiness... their last album was a bit of a decline in quality IMO, but the album before that (Dead End Kings and the amazing Dethroned and Uncrowned) could have practically been a "best of" album with how catchy, unique, and beautiful every track was.

This kind of sounds like an album of NITND b-sides, though - with a few exceptions, of course. It is by no means a bad album - I always dig Katatonia's atmosphere. It's just not particularly good by their standards.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
28.04.2020 - 22:24
Rating: 4
forkintheass
Oh no, this is bad. And the previous one was bad either.
30.04.2020 - 20:00
Jeeers
Probably my least favourite Katatonia album. The sound is good, the mix is good, the vocals are outstanding, some nice guitar solos... But the whole thing seems rather bland and forgettable. Something is missing here. Too boring for my taste.
01.05.2020 - 12:03
Cobalto
After several decent spins i think City Burials is among katatonia´s best work. Better than the 2 previous studio albums, less progressive than Fall of Hearts and more centered around the classic Katatonia sound. The dry "fuck" in "The Winter of our passing" is Viva Emptiness all over. The female vocals on "Vanishers" works really well in the mix too. The album itself starts in great shape with the first three songs. But there are many more to discover, in fact it´s better to mention the lower ones: Rein, Flicker and Untrodden.

Welcome back guys. An amazing album that definitely deserves an official review in MS
01.05.2020 - 14:26
Mc_Twist
I tried, and tried, and tried my best to like it, but it is really boring. Nothing stands out, every songs are sounding the same but not in a good way...
Extremely disappointed, 4 years and a pseudo-hiatus for that...
02.05.2020 - 15:12
Danroush
So far I'm on the side of those feeling a little let-down, but I'm not surprised as the first couple of listens sounded similar to Fall of Hearts. It's not bad, it's just missing a little of the darkness that Dead End Kings had, which restricts the depth of the sound.

Maybe it'll grow on me. Fall of Hearts did, but not enough to reach the level of Dead End Kings - if I had to guess this will be the same or slightly worse :/
02.05.2020 - 20:27
EXEbeast
I always had mixed feelings about Katatonia since Brave Murder Day, but Fall of Heart was my favourite album by far. This resulted in huge expectations... After at least 40 spins, City Burial didn't meet my expectations, the songs are shorter, less progressive with a major mid-low tempo throughout the album.

BUT.

Instead of having a FoH 2.0, I ended up liking City Burials for what it is. I got the feeling that it's a mix of all 4 previous albums, especially on the Dead End Kings side, as Renkse stated in an interview that they regretted not experimenting more. Excellent album, first three songs, City Glaciers and Neon Epitah are the best songs on this. But there are 2 songs I almost always skip, and it's not even Lachesis.
02.05.2020 - 20:33
EXEbeast
Written by Danroush on 02.05.2020 at 15:12

So far I'm on the side of those feeling a little let-down, but I'm not surprised as the first couple of listens sounded similar to Fall of Hearts. It's not bad, it's just missing a little of the darkness that Dead End Kings had, which restricts the depth of the sound.

Maybe it'll grow on me. Fall of Hearts did, but not enough to reach the level of Dead End Kings - if I had to guess this will be the same or slightly worse :/

I always find it interesting how tastes can differ. While Fall of Heart disappointed me at first but ended up as my favorite Katatonia album, I never could appreciate DEK in its entirety.. but I still try to give it more spins because there are some brilliant songs in there.

As for City Burials, it sounds a lot more like DEK than any other album to me. Give it more spins, I'm sure you'll like, at least, most of it. It stuck with me after 20 listens, and it still sounds good after 40.
02.05.2020 - 20:36
EXEbeast
Written by X-FrEaK on 28.04.2020 at 00:53

As for City Burials...man...I even pre ordered the album after I saw Katatonia's post on facebook asking fans to support them, and it made every sense in this day and age. I usually buy albums that I like and not ones that I havent heard yet, but well, no harm done, I would support Katatonia always as they have been there since the beginning of my metal days. Having said that, this album is bland, boring. I cant pinpoint exactly what went wrong, I just dont click with any song (the first three ones are the best ones though). I wasnt a fan of their previous album either, but this one is worse, and with the shortening of the songs you would expect there to be catchy singles, nop...nothing. Its weird, I hate to review albums like this, because I cannot say whats wrong about them but at the end of the day the songs just dont stick.

I felt like this as well, especially that I was digging their newly found progressive sound. The songs are short, most of them are slow paced and some songs sound alike or just like some fillers in TGCD or VE. But after a lot more spins, I ended up not regretting pre-ordering the album at all. I just hope you'll end up liking it as well. Cheers.
05.05.2020 - 17:28
Ulivier53
To be honest, I didn't like it at first. BUT after a few spins...oooh boy. The feels Train again.

This is not BMD, TD, LFDGD, Viva E., or TGCD. But It is Katatonia, no doubt.
07.05.2020 - 13:14
tintinb
The only other Katatonia album I have heard is Brave Murder Day. Just basing on that I had huge expectations from this album. I didn't knew that they have changed their sound so much and I am definitely not a fan of this new sound. This was insipid, lukewarm. Just could not get into it.
----
Leeches everywhere.
07.05.2020 - 13:51
tiny dog ghosts
Written by tintinb on 07.05.2020 at 13:14

The only other Katatonia album I have heard is Brave Murder Day. Just basing on that I had huge expectations from this album. I didn't knew that they have changed their sound so much and I am definitely not a fan of this new sound. This was insipid, lukewarm. Just could not get into it.

Wouldn't it be more weird if their sound hand't changed over 24 years? If you want something a bit closer but still evolved from that sound, maybe try The Great Cold Distance
07.05.2020 - 19:14
dickkafa
My favorite Katatonia album so far I love this
07.05.2020 - 20:01
tintinb
Written by tiny dog ghosts on 07.05.2020 at 13:51

Written by tintinb on 07.05.2020 at 13:14

Wouldn't it be more weird if their sound hand't changed over 24 years? If you want something a bit closer but still evolved from that sound, maybe try The Great Cold Distance

Would definitely try them.
----
Leeches everywhere.
09.05.2020 - 00:22
Rating: 5
Redel

Just out of curiosity I have just done what I have sworn myself not to do ever: touch another Katatonia album after Dead Kings End (2012).
And, while I am at it, I thought, ok, let's do them all in a row, up to this one.
I am speechless.
What has happened....
I am going to go back to December Souls now, for rehab...
10.05.2020 - 21:13
Sethian88
I have absolutely no problem with this album being "not so metal".
Katatonia was always a genre for itself.
It's not about harshness, it's about dark unexplored depths of human soul that you discover through clinical depression and accept much better with help of Katatonia
20.05.2020 - 01:52
frequenzangriff
Written by Sethian88 on 10.05.2020 at 21:13

I have absolutely no problem with this album being "not so metal".
Katatonia was always a genre for itself.
It's not about harshness, it's about dark unexplored depths of human soul that you discover through clinical depression and accept much better with help of Katatonia

well said, i felt like this and could not quite put it into words, there is so much heart and soul in their music!
21.05.2020 - 14:05
Aries Rising
6.5 album, nothing really sticks out aside from maybe the first two songs. It's not awful, just not worth repeat visits.
23.05.2020 - 13:32
Mountain King
K i K o
I enjoyed it but it's nothing special and I get mixed up between their previous 2 and this one. Their music is not meant to be catchy but I really can't remember anything apart from the single they released. I actually prefer Night Is The New Day over the next 3 releases and definitely "The Great Cold Distance" remains my favorite to date.
24.05.2020 - 00:41
Neoxx07
Written by Mountain King on 23.05.2020 at 13:32

I enjoyed it but it's nothing special and I get mixed up between their previous 2 and this one. Their music is not meant to be catchy but I really can't remember anything apart from the single they released. I actually prefer Night Is The New Day over the next 3 releases and definitely "The Great Cold Distance" remains my favorite to date.

Agree with you. Night is much better than the latter 3 albums.

Hits total: 14301 | This month: 49