Metal Storm logo
Explosions in the Sky

Original post

Posted by , 21.06.2007 - 12:12
Explosions in the Sky is a four piece hailing from Texas and specializing in post-rock. They are one of the most atmospheric and emotional bands I have ever listened to. No matter what mood I am in, I can listen to these guys. The band has released 4 wonderful albums and one EP which was only available via mail and attending their shows. They even wrote most of the music for the Friday Night Lights Soundtrack. My personal favorite album is The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place, with my favorite song being "Your Hand in Mine". Every album is worth listening to by this fantastic band! Well now it is your turn, let me know what you think of this wonderful band!
25.08.2012 - 02:58
Oaken
Hipster
Written by IronAngel on 07.04.2012 at 11:16

Hooray, someone agrees with me! For me, EITS come across as rather trite. Formally competent, but missing that something to get me interested.

Explosions In The Sky are the first post-rock band I listen to. They're also the first band I listen to without reading reviews and having my opinion affected by the general opinion.
The first album I listened to was Take Care, and I enjoyed it very much. Then it was All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone's turn. I liked it, but less than Take Care. I was aware of The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place being regarded by many as their sophomore, so I gave it a listen. Since then, I have extensively spinned it, but I still have mixed feelings. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I think it's very, very boring, and sounds exactly like the other two albums I heard. Today I decided to check out Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever, and fortunately, it wasn't as stale as The Earth. It was heavier and sounded much more "fresh". I'm not sure if I want to listen to the debut though.

This band is great and they write some beautiful music, but they're repetitive and after only two albums, they got pretty boring. That being said, their live youtube clips are devastatingly awesome. I kind of agree with you, Iron, that EITS' sound is pretty much stale. Do you suggest any other post-rock bands since I'm done with EITS for now?
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
25.08.2012 - 03:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Oaken on 25.08.2012 at 02:58
and sounds exactly like the other two albums I heard.

Technically it's the other way around
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.08.2012 - 03:47
Oaken
Hipster
Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.08.2012 at 03:44

and sounds exactly like the other two albums I heard.

Technically it's the other way around

In both cases, they all sound nearly identical.
----
25.08.2012 - 03:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Oaken on 25.08.2012 at 03:47

In both cases, they all sound nearly identical.

Well, I hear plenty of difference between the albums I've heard by them: "Those who...", "All of a sudden" and the debut. Not a big fan of them though but I would never say they are bad either as I enjoy them. I lost my interest in post-rock quite easily though. I'm fine with the few bands I know and enjoy a lot already so not that interested in checking so much.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.08.2012 - 10:16
Uldreth

Do you suggest any other post-rock bands since I'm done with EITS for now?

I dunno what do you know already but check out "Red Forest" by If These Trees Could Talk, "The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw" by Pelican, "Avoid The Light" by Long Distance Calling and "Plains of the Purple Buffalo" by *shels
25.08.2012 - 11:18
IronAngel

My small post-rock list. I'm not sure I'm happy with it, especially how it covers today's post-rock, but it's a pretty solid foundation to go off of.
25.08.2012 - 15:23
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Uldreth on 25.08.2012 at 10:16

I dunno what do you know already but check out "Red Forest" by If These Trees Could Talk, "The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw" by Pelican, "Avoid The Light" by Long Distance Calling and "Plains of the Purple Buffalo" by *shels

I don't know any of these at all, thanks.
Written by IronAngel on 25.08.2012 at 11:18

My small post-rock list. I'm not sure I'm happy with it, especially how it covers today's post-rock, but it's a pretty solid foundation to go off of.

I will look at it when I need some post-rock, thanks.
----
03.09.2012 - 14:54
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
Written by IronAngel on 25.08.2012 at 11:18

My small post-rock list.

hi, plz check here, Toundra is great band and I think you will like them.
----
"The WAY" is perfect and complete like boundless space nothing redundant but because the mind continues to make distinction.
30.11.2012 - 20:46
Kanto

Do you suggest any other post-rock bands since I'm done with EITS for now?

Mono (Moonlight, Halcyon, Ashes In The Snow, Error #9, excellent songs), Russian Circles (try Geneva and Station albums, they keep you busy through the whole listen) and Maybeshewill (start with the 2009-album) would be my recomendations

Aaaaand...I can't chew Mogwai's stuff, I just can't. In the other hand, I really like EITS' stuff, ...oh well.
----
...Dude.