Metal Storm logo
Explosions in the Sky

21.06.2007 - 12:12
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Explosions in the Sky is a four piece hailing from Texas and specializing in post-rock. They are one of the most atmospheric and emotional bands I have ever listened to. No matter what mood I am in, I can listen to these guys. The band has released 4 wonderful albums and one EP which was only available via mail and attending their shows. They even wrote most of the music for the Friday Night Lights Soundtrack. My personal favorite album is The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place, with my favorite song being "Your Hand in Mine". Every album is worth listening to by this fantastic band! Well now it is your turn, let me know what you think of this wonderful band!
22.06.2007 - 19:32
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I was in the cd store shopping for metal one day and "The Earth is not a Cold, Dead Place" was what they had playing in the background. Was the first time I heard it. I bought it on the spot. Only time I've ever done that.

Good album - sounds a bit like old The Cure b-sides only without lyrics. I like it, but it lost a degree of it's luster after repeated listens. I'll still enjoy it from time to time, though.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.06.2007 - 04:10
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 22.06.2007 at 19:32

I was in the cd store shopping for metal one day and "The Earth is not a Cold, Dead Place" was what they had playing in the background. Was the first time I heard it. I bought it on the spot. Only time I've ever done that.

Good album - sounds a bit like old The Cure b-sides only without lyrics. I like it, but it lost a degree of it's luster after repeated listens. I'll still enjoy it from time to time, though.

That's good to hear! I too also like the Cure but while it may be similar in some way it's also completely different. It's nice to know that at least for a little bit that cd had a huge impact, as you went in bought it right away! What was your favorite song on that album? Mine is easily "Your Hand in Mine"
28.06.2007 - 21:02
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
as for a favorite track, i don't think i have one. it's the type of album i put on and listen to for ambient enjoyment purposes while reading or something to that effect. if cornered, perhaps "First Breath After a Coma."
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.07.2007 - 23:10
Kurzag
Account deleted
Good music for late summer nights. Bought EINACDP after I heard the song Your Hand In Mine which is still my favourite song from them.
28.07.2007 - 12:40
Omni
Account deleted
Very nice band. Not amazing though...their music seems a bit too banal at times. Has a very set structure and they very rarely seem to step out of it. Still a good band though, just not legendary
30.07.2007 - 19:26
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
I have really been getting into Post-Rock and Post-Metal this past year, and this band is one of my top picks. It amazes me that they come from Texas, of all places. I think my favorite album might be Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever.

I first became aware of this band through the movie Shop Girl, a brilliant Steve Martin films. The song "First Breath After Coma" was used during the trailer.
----
(space for rent)
23.08.2007 - 08:52
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 30.07.2007 at 19:26

I have really been getting into Post-Rock and Post-Metal this past year, and this band is one of my top picks. It amazes me that they come from Texas, of all places. I think my favorite album might be Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever.

I first became aware of this band through the movie Shop Girl, a brilliant Steve Martin films. The song "First Breath After Coma" was used during the trailer.

That is my favorite album as well, though All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone is very memorable as well. I find it strange that I like more post rock bands over post metal (which i dont like that much) than again their is a very fine line between them because even post rock bands can have heavy moments (like Mono) but post metal bands can also have light moments like Red Sparrowes (if you wanna call them post metal), or Kayo-Dot (who I simply didnt care for) and Pelican (who i cannot stand...)
09.12.2008 - 03:08
Stigmatized
Great band. I found them while looking for similar artists to God is An Astronaut. As BitterCOld said, it's good for putting the entire album on and just letting drift into the back of your mind.
27.12.2008 - 01:36
Kanto

I just love this band. One of the first songs I heard was "Yasmin The Light", and is like...so intense, is one of the best ambient songs ever I think. Also I really like "A song for Out Fathers", "First Breath After Coma" and "A Slow Dance". This band introduced me into the Post-Rock world (I didn't know that Sigur Ros was post-rock until then hehe)
----
...Dude.
30.12.2008 - 19:53
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
They remind me of a 'softer' Pelican which isn't a bad thing, though i prefer the aforementioned since i find they're more innovative and i think they 'polish' their ideas better if that makes any sense. Still a good band though, first time i heard them was when i was watching Friday Night Lights.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
11.01.2009 - 21:47
Tony Harrison
I have no arms..
Written by BitterCOld on 28.06.2007 at 21:02

as for a favorite track, i don't think i have one. it's the type of album i put on and listen to for ambient enjoyment purposes while reading or something to that effect. if cornered, perhaps "First Breath After a Coma."

It's the same for me. My brother gave me a copy of 'The earth is not a cold dead place' a while back and despite really enjoying the general feel of the music, the fact that there are no vocals make it hard to distinguish one track from another when doing something else rather than focussing purely on the music. Because of that though I think it makes great chillout music and I really enjoy unwinding to it at the end of the day with a book.
----
This is an outrage...
06.02.2009 - 06:44
motorhead
Account deleted
Explosions in the Sky is the that band that drew my interest in post-rock, but I still think that Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Sigur Rós are the best post-rock bands.
26.04.2011 - 11:30
The Turbanator

Just got their discography. Listening to them now, really impressive!
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
28.04.2011 - 21:08
Elio
Red Nightmare
Opinions on the latest album?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
30.04.2011 - 22:58
IronAngel

Boring, predictable and uninspired. There's so much better post-rock out there this year.

Then again, that's pretty much how I'd describe their entire discography. But seriously, it didn't impress me at all. At least when I first heard "Those Who Tell..." I was impressed. Don't get me wrong, it's solid stuff fans will no doubt appreciate. But I just can't shake the feeling that the worst and blandest EITS-copycats in a generally mediocre scene are EITS themselves.
30.04.2011 - 23:56
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by IronAngel on 30.04.2011 at 22:58

Then again, that's pretty much how I'd describe their entire discography.

Meh, Their debut was sort of bland but just because you can clearly see they were very new to pretty much everything but "All of a sudden..." is amazing so I don't know what you're talking about
I'm not a fan at all tbh. I only own those cds and I believe I'm pretty unbiased. My favorite Post-rock bands is still a fight between Sigur Rós and Mono. I always heard stuff like "Oh dude EITS has some intense crscendos" and I just go "meh". They are quite nice and all that but Mono imo is far more noisy and intense in that aspect so therefore superior to the mor epopular EITS. They are still good in my book though.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.05.2011 - 05:31
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Not a bad band, but if I want to listen to anything post rockish, I'll generally listen to Krallice or some other post rock/black metal fusion band.
20.05.2011 - 13:54
Elio
Red Nightmare
Yeah I agree, the latest effort is quite pointless, but many of the other stuff is respectable
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
20.05.2011 - 19:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Elio on 20.05.2011 at 13:54

Yeah I agree, the latest effort is quite pointless, but many of the other stuff is respectable

check Catacombe if you haven't. i just reviewed their latest. pretty decent stuff.
----

20.05.2011 - 23:42
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by BitterCOld on 20.05.2011 at 19:27

Written by Elio on 20.05.2011 at 13:54

check Catacombe if you haven't. i just reviewed their latest. pretty decent stuff.

definitely will
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
22.06.2011 - 13:18
Saeed_p

Their new album is also great too (take care^3) . i really love their bright atmosphere and also the combining of solos and silence pieces .its the best post rock I've ever heard! even better than Mogwai and About Tess!
always wanted to have some instrumental rock ; now i find my favorite band in this genre.
09.07.2011 - 18:25
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Check out their new music video as well. fucking briliiant

http://vimeo.com/25518056
16.07.2011 - 23:43
Kanto

I liked Take Care more than All Of A Sudden. Take Care is quite a good album, nice guitars.
----
...Dude.
25.08.2011 - 22:42
Freyya

Beautiful sound, my fav albums are The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place and Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever (what a title, hahahaha )
----
"Music was invented to confirm human loneliness"
15.02.2012 - 17:18
Ethereal Tantrum

Liked what I've heard over the years...even if some of it sounds a little samey...but hey, what's a band to do!?

"Your Hand In Mine" is a particularly good example of what I like about the band though.
:-)
----
www.enochiantheory.co.uk
29.02.2012 - 21:26
gnomyst@gmail.com

It sounds interesting, "Your Hand In Mine" is a beautiful song. Reminds me of God Is An Astronaut, I recommend to check it out.
01.04.2012 - 23:11
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I have to give them and GIAA credit (blame?) for starting this post-rock craze. Over the past 5 years or so THOUSANDS of bands and albums have been released copying this recipe. So very few stand out.
----
rekt
07.04.2012 - 04:21
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Listened to "The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place" a few times and it did absolutely nothing for me. "Mogwai Fear Satan" as a song is like a superior version of that album to me
----
07.04.2012 - 11:16
IronAngel

Written by Nosurper on 07.04.2012 at 04:21

Listened to "The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place" a few times and it did absolutely nothing for me. "Mogwai Fear Satan" as a song is like a superior version of that album to me

Hooray, someone agrees with me! For me, EITS come across as rather trite. Formally competent, but missing that something to get me interested.