Metal Storm logo
Best metal states?

Original post

Posted by Mega-Slayer, 28.05.2006 - 05:24
Out of all of the 50 United States who has the greatest bands?For me its california,obviously cuz of Slayer,Megadeth,Metallica,Forbidden,Vio-Lence,Possessed,Exodus,Testament,Dark Angel and Death Angel.Though Florida comes real close,they definitley have the best Death Metal, Deicide,Obituary,Death, and Massacre and Morbid Angel.
30.01.2015 - 16:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Washington, as cool as it is, hasn't really moved on from Grunge. Spent a couple days there a couple years ago and Seattle it was a lot like nearby Portland(ia)... "the dream of the 90's lives on in Portland." based on the radio you'd think it still was the height of the grunge era.

Black Breath is from WA and deserve a mention.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
30.01.2015 - 16:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I agree whit Craig about Washington .... its on the map because of grunge , not metal
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.01.2015 - 19:37
musclassia
staff
Saw this list, got curious where my favourite US bands were from, looked up Isis, Dream Theater and Killswitch Engage and saw all 3 were from Massachusetts. It would appear the state is hot on -core, given that as well as KSe, All That Remains, The Red Chord, Converge, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Shadows Fall, Unearth and a couple others all come from there. Not really into those bands for the most part, but as well as Isis, DT and KSe, there's also Irepress, maudlin of the Well, Revocation, Powerglove (lol), Extreme and of course Aerosmith of note, so not a bad place for metal IMO.

Aside from that, I imagine most bands I like are from states covered by previous posts (California, Florida, Louisiana, Georgia, Seattle) or from states where they're the only interesting band.
30.01.2015 - 22:39
Susan
Smeghead
elite
Written by BitterCOld on 30.01.2015 at 16:06

Washington, as cool as it is, hasn't really moved on from Grunge. Spent a couple days there a couple years ago and Seattle it was a lot like nearby Portland(ia)... "the dream of the 90's lives on in Portland." based on the radio you'd think it still was the height of the grunge era.

Black Breath is from WA and deserve a mention.

My dear friend, I'm glad you enjoyed your couple of days there a few years ago I'm not sure where your ideas come from about Seattle having not moved on from grunge. Grunge was way fun, and classic Alice In Chains is still way listenable. However, that's not what the kids give a shit about these days, or are playing or listening to for the most part. Primarily, Seattle's hip-hop and Indie Rock scenes permeate the city and are quite unique and engaging. Many national acts are emerging from these genres (my favorite being Macklemore), not to mention tons of local and regional acts selling out venues in Seattle and elsewhere. It doesn't sound like you witnessed any of these shows in your couple days being a tourist (In fact, if Seattle is "holding on" to anything I'd have to say it's the mid-late 90s regional punk scene; hey, we all have our memories that are too sweet to let go!)

YES! Black Breath! Saw them in Seattle with Sandworm and a few other awesome locally raised metal acts. Packed a large club. Thankfully, despite WITTR and other Cascadian bands, Seattle is not hugely "known" for metal. And that's good! Once something becomes a "scene" it's overrun with bandwagon jumpers and people capitalizing on their zip code more than their talent. Seattle metal is thankfully still run by talent.

As far as other states: shout out to Texas for Fair To Midland, Pantera, Shaolin Death Squad, Ancient VVisdom, and many others!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
31.01.2015 - 01:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by deadone on 30.01.2015 at 23:20

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.01.2015 at 13:48

Also Metal Church. They did start in San Francisco but everything they recorded was done when the band was already living in Washington state.

Wow didn't know that. Why did they move further away from one of the centres of the scene?

No isea why they did dad.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.01.2015 - 03:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.01.2015 at 01:17

No isea why they did dad.

isea
----

apos;'
[image]
01.02.2015 - 11:27
Ganondox
Written by deadone on 30.01.2015 at 07:27

Washington's also good for alternative metal/hard rock:

Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Melvins

And more metal: Sunn O))), Nevermore, Sanctuary, Forced Entry, Queensrÿche, Wolves in the Throne Room

True, but the only scene Seattle is known for is grunge, while California also has Bay Area thrash, LA glam, and whatnot, and while neither are my favorite, they place California as being an important place for metal.
01.02.2015 - 12:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ganondox on 01.02.2015 at 11:27

Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Melvins

And more metal: Sunn O))), Nevermore, Sanctuary, Forced Entry, Queensrÿche, Wolves in the Throne Room

True, but the only scene Seattle is known for is grunge, while California also has Bay Area thrash, LA glam, and whatnot, and while neither are my favorite, they place California as being an important place for metal.

yes and grunge is not metal, only Alice In Chains is close to metal, but rest is grunge. Wit out radio songs, NTV videos and hit songs scene was boring IMO
----

apos;'
[image]
01.02.2015 - 19:47
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Bad English on 01.02.2015 at 12:39

yes and grunge is not metal, only Alice In Chains is close to metal, but rest is grunge. Wit out radio songs, NTV videos and hit songs scene was boring IMO

from your extensive time in Seattle in the early 90s?
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.02.2015 - 19:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BitterCOld on 01.02.2015 at 19:47

from your extensive time in Seattle in the early 90s?

Yes , I saw some doc about pre Grunge 80's Seattle and 90's up to Kurt's death ... I didn't like that non HIT songs what they played..
I have a friend who live sin Luleå from Seattle he plays such music often ... I don't like it so much as I did in 00's
----

apos;'
[image]
01.02.2015 - 22:11
Ganondox

Written by Ganondox on 01.02.2015 at 11:27

Grunge is part metal, bands like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, and the Melvins are pretty metal.
01.02.2015 - 22:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Guitar sound yes, but not 100% ... life style and all around is not
----

apos;'
[image]
01.02.2015 - 22:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Bad English on 01.02.2015 at 22:12

Guitar sound yes, but not 100% ... life style and all around is not

There is no such thing as a metal lifestyle.

And most grunge bands certainly are metal.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.02.2015 - 23:51
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Northwestern USA - Grunge in the 90's; Woods-y, atmospheric black today
Southern USA - sludge
Cali - thrash
NY - thrash
Florida - death
Chicago - alternative-ish (Hum, Smashing Pumpkins, Chevelle, Ministry, Veruca Salt)

I would say post metal's roots are mostly tied to the east coast. (Neurosis was founded in Cali)
----
rekt
02.02.2015 - 02:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by tea[m]ster on 01.02.2015 at 23:51

Northwestern USA - Grunge in the 90's; Woods-y, atmospheric black today
Southern USA - sludge

new states
----

apos;'
[image]
02.02.2015 - 17:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
I would say post metal's roots are mostly tied to the east coast. (Neurosis was founded in Cali)

Last time I checked California was on the West Coast.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.02.2015 - 17:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.02.2015 at 17:16

even Cali in Colubia is in west coast .. or maybe he meant some India god something .... or skipped geo classes
----

apos;'
[image]
02.02.2015 - 17:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite

Seems like Teamster suffers from the same disorder as me. I Always mix up East and West as well when it comes to the USA. Weird thing is I have no such problem when it comes to the rest of the world.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.02.2015 - 18:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.02.2015 at 17:37

Seems like Teamster suffers from the same disorder as me. I Always mix up East and West as well when it comes to the USA. Weird thing is I have no such problem when it comes to the rest of the world.

I don't , never mix up states , I can map 52 states in a map ....
Ausie can be same problems
----

apos;'
[image]
02.02.2015 - 20:59
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.02.2015 at 17:37

No no I am saying post metal in general is an east coast thing EXCEPT for Neurosis , they are from California.
----
rekt
02.02.2015 - 21:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by tea[m]ster on 02.02.2015 at 20:59

No no I am saying post metal in general is an east coast thing EXCEPT for Neurosis , they are from California.

and California isn't Austin and Indianapolis in California?
----

apos;'
[image]
02.02.2015 - 21:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by tea[m]ster on 02.02.2015 at 20:59

Yeah yeah, right. Good escape though.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.02.2015 - 16:45
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Not to worry, Teamster, I caught yer drift.

Written by Susan on 30.01.2015 at 22:39

My dear friend, I'm glad you enjoyed your couple of days there a few years ago I'm not sure where your ideas come from about Seattle having not moved on from grunge. Grunge was way fun, and classic Alice In Chains is still way listenable. However, that's not what the kids give a shit about these days, or are playing or listening to for the most part. Primarily, Seattle's hip-hop and Indie Rock scenes permeate the city and are quite unique and engaging. Many national acts are emerging from these genres (my favorite being Macklemore), not to mention tons of local and regional acts selling out venues in Seattle and elsewhere. It doesn't sound like you witnessed any of these shows in your couple days being a tourist (In fact, if Seattle is "holding on" to anything I'd have to say it's the mid-late 90s regional punk scene; hey, we all have our memories that are too sweet to let go!)

YES! Black Breath! Saw them in Seattle with Sandworm and a few other awesome locally raised metal acts. Packed a large club. Thankfully, despite WITTR and other Cascadian bands, Seattle is not hugely "known" for metal. And that's good! Once something becomes a "scene" it's overrun with bandwagon jumpers and people capitalizing on their zip code more than their talent. Seattle metal is thankfully still run by talent.

As far as other states: shout out to Texas for Fair To Midland, Pantera, Shaolin Death Squad, Ancient VVisdom, and many others!

Yeah, was only some time there, but the bulk of stuff I saw, whether EMP or at Eylsian Brewing or in general referenced grunnge. I catch details like shirts, shops, and whatever is posted along the streets when hiking around a place*. Just didn't see terribly much of anything new. I didn't dig deep, but anything modern/metallic wasn't as prevalent as it has been in other cities i've visited, whether in Europe, USA, or Sudoamerica.

As for Black Breath, who pointed 'em out to you? Oh, yeah, the guy who spent 72 hours there... haha!

* sent to Santiago to end January... most popular bands based upon shirts were Megadeth (5), Slipknot (4). Did see some more extreme stuff - Behemoth. dude living in our apt building had an old school leather vest (no shirt) with Venom, Possessed, and S.T. patches on it. And though not even remotely metal, saw a dude in a B-Sharps shirt. Forget the name of the bands playing the local upcoming metal gig... posters plastered everywhere but had never heard of anyone. If there are two things that catch my eyes when somewhere new, it's metal/punk stuff and tap handles. Scotch when in the US or Europe. Notsomuch in SA.
----

05.02.2015 - 17:27
Susan
Smeghead
elite
Written by BitterCOld on 05.02.2015 at 16:45

As for Black Breath, who pointed 'em out to you? Oh, yeah, the guy who spent 72 hours there... haha!

Touche'!!!!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
24.02.2015 - 09:42
Deathmaster
Written by Ganondox on 30.01.2015 at 07:16

Iowa, obviously.

Eh, I'd probably go with California for alternative metal bands like Tool, System of a Down, Faith No More, and Deftones.

Sir we are going to have words. No but really fuck our 'Scene' our locals our worthless and boring. I WISH I would have thought of Massachusetts, But someone else beat me to it. No Love for Michigan? IDK if their metal scene is very strong, I've HEARD good things about it. But I do have mad love for Michigan as it's the birthplace of punk IMO, with MC5 & the Stooges.
----
"While I live let me live deep."-Robert Howard