Reviewer:

66 users:
Band: Yoth Iria
Album: Under His Sway
Release date: January 2020

01. Under His Sway
02. Sid-Ed-Djinn
03. Visions Of The Dead Lover [Rotting Christ cover]

Yoth Iria features in its ranks a very big and very important part of the Hellenic black metal history, and they take their name after the lyrics of Rotting Christ's song "The Fourth Knight Of Revelation" from their debut, Thy Mighty Contract. You can guess where I am going with this, can't you?

Quick history lesson: Jim Mutilator is the founding member, bassist and lyricist of both Rotting Christ and Varathron, while The Magus is the founding member, vocalist and bassist of Necromantia, and he also played keyboards on the first Rotting Christ releases. These two legends of the scene recruited George Emmanuel (Lucifer's Child, ex-Rotting Christ) on guitars and arguably the best drummer from this neck of the woods, the mighty Maelstrom (Thou Art Lord, Nigredo, Dephosphorus, ex-Ravencult, ex-Dødsferd, and many others). This is the stellar line-up that recorded Under His Sway in George Emmanuel's Pentagram Studios.

The EP features two new songs and a cover of Rotting Christ's amazing "Visions Of The Dead Lovers" from 1993's Αποκαθήλωσις. The title track is melodic, Bathory-esque, mid-paced, epic-sounding and very atmospheric with some breaks reminding of more recent Rotting Christ material, even though the main part of the song is very retro-loving and takes us back to tracks like "Non Serviam" or "King Of A Stellar War", while The Magus's vocals give it a very dark and sinister feel. "Sid Ed Djinn" is more versatile, mixing doomier parts, blastbeats, galloping riffs and oriental female vocals, and it is more reminiscent of post-Theogonia Rotting Christ.

I'm sure you've noticed which band's name is repeatedly mentioned in this review. The thing is that these two new tracks are better than almost anything Rotting Christ have done in recent years and they actually sit proudly next to the classic "Visions Of The Dead Lovers" without giving the impression of being some sort of half-assed comeback. Instead, they are both fine specimens of heavy/doom and epic black metal from the Mediterranean shores and mark Jim's triumphant return to music, not with a rehashed throwback release but with a modern sound that takes its cues of course from the scene that he pioneered.

Given the fact that Yoth Iria and Rotting Christ do have a similar sound, it makes sense for people to hope for a reunion. I don't know what the future will bring but for now I am very happy with what Yoth Iria have done with Under His Sway and cannot wait for the full-length.

"I am the throne of your existence
I am the shadow of your remorse
Whether you look at me or not
You will be a part of me"

*This EP is dedicated to the memory of Baron Blood (Necromantia), who passed away last year.

Written on 20.02.2020 by Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

Comments

Comments: 8   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 96 users
20.02.2020 - 04:11
Rating: 8
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
RIP Baron Blood

I can't believe how good this EP is, esp compared to the last few RC ones.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
20.02.2020 - 16:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good reviev and I agree nowadays kawir kills historic hellenic bm bands are not same.... As in mid 90s
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.02.2020 - 23:46
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Came for the artwork, stayed for the review. I honestly have yet to encounter a Greek BM band I'd rank below 7/10, quite a good scene you all have over there. I'll be getting around to this soon then, nice overview
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
21.02.2020 - 10:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Auntie Sahar on 20.02.2020 at 23:46

Came for the artwork, stayed for the review. I honestly have yet to encounter a Greek BM band I'd rank below 7/10, quite a good scene you all have over there. I'll be getting around to this soon then, nice overview

This year greek scene wind, 4 good albums in so short time
----

apos;'
[image]
21.02.2020 - 15:08
nikarg

Written by Auntie Sahar on 20.02.2020 at 23:46

Thanks man. Like BE said, the year has started really well for Greek bm, with Kawir, Yoth Iria, Serpent Noir and Empire Of The Moon putting out strong stuff. I'd also add the Shrouds EP that my favourite local bm band Human Serpent released at "Name Your Price", with the money being donated for the care of the injured animals following the Australian wildfires. And the Spectral Lore / Mare Cognitum split is also something to look forward to.
21.02.2020 - 15:33
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by nikarg on 21.02.2020 at 15:08

And the Spectral Lore / Mare Cognitum split is also something to look forward to.

Damn I had actually forgotten Spectral Lore is Greek, thought it was American for some reason. Another excellent one!
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
23.02.2020 - 00:38
Rating: 10
Areswar

Indeed a great ep. But still all Rotting Christ albums are great.
23.02.2020 - 15:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Areswar on 23.02.2020 at 00:38

Indeed a great ep. But still all Rotting Christ albums are great.

NO only old ones gas some Eternal esence into it...
----

apos;'
[image]

Hits total: 2750 | This month: 7