Metal Storm logo
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 10 Issue #1 - Awesome New Demos and EPs

Written by: Nefarious, nikarg, RaduP, Starvynth, Abattoir
Published: 20.02.2020

Clandestine Cuts Volume 10, Issue #1
The Metal Storm Demo/EP Spotlight

Brand New Independent Metal Lives Here.
Welcome to the Clandestine Cuts!

Is independent, unsigned, and underground metal what you seek? Weary traveller of the metal world, rest here a while. Clandestine Cuts are the best demos and EPs from these bands, the heart and soul of metal music. These musicians are slaves to their passions, and their blood keeps the metal machine alive and turning. Support them with a simple listen, and discover the future.

Metal Storm users: you can vote in the poll below to choose your favourite demo/EP of the issue. The winners each year are nominated in our annual Metal Storm Awards so exercise your rights: this is the one category chosen completely by YOU the readers. Make sure your favourite independent metal is recognized each year!

(Think your band has what it takes to be featured in the Cuts? Email demos@metalstorm.net to submit your music.)

In case you're new at this, go back and enjoy our last few issues:

Clandestine Cuts Vol. 9 #12
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 9 #11
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 9 #10

And now to the new music...

Sluagh - Sluagh I
[Atmospheric Black Metal]
Listen at Bandcamp

In Irish and Scottish folklore, the 'Sluagh' were the spirits of the restless dead. The band Sluagh hails from Scotland and features members of Haar, Barshasketh, Úir, and Of Spire & Throne. They tell tales from the ancient Highlands using harsh shrieks, distant screams and some clean chants, and they lace them with music that constantly twists and turns, being at times unhinged and rampant and at others very melodic and emotional. From the opening terrifying scream of "I" to the splendid mix of intensity and atmosphere of "IV" and, finally, to the closing melancholic guitar notes of "VI", this release is sensational black metal.

by nikarg

Snorlax - II
[Black / Death Metal]
Listen at Bandcamp

Having an extreme metal band named after a Pokemon isn't very commonplace (though apparently there is another band named after the exact same Pokemon), but something about the slothful giant makes sense as an inspiration. Snorlax, like Snorlax, is massive. Snorlax, unlike Snorlax, is a barrage of doomy death riffs with plenty of black metal in the mix, and the actual mix is also one of the many reasons why II sounds so menacing and gurgly, sounding so lo-fi but without having the mud cover all the other instruments. So not only is II slimy and evil, with plenty of changes of pace and and a pretty even mix of doom, death, black and sludge, but it's also mostly just the work of a single man, including the great mix.

by RaduP

Bacterium - Sunt Lacrymae Rerum
[Funeral Doom]
Listen at Bandcamp

I often had my gripes with funeral doom and how it often seemed to have become more and more generic and gravitating to the same sounds, which is also not very good when you're also a genre known for really long albums. Sunt Lacrymae Rerum partially avoid those pitfalls both by being barely 20 minutes in length and by having a sound so raw and lo-fi that it sounds like nothing one would usually hear on a funeral doom record. A lot of it still has a lot of the usual doom tropes, but Bacterium also put huge emphasis on almost field-recording like eerie ambiance and uncanny production that often sounds closer to the genre's mid-90s output.

by RaduP

Funestus - The Immaterial Wound
[Black]
Listen at Bandcamp

Funestus is a one man band from the city of Temuco in Chile and The Immaterial Wound is the project's first EP. So far so good, but there are already countless legions of one man black metal bands around and each day a dozen new releases appear on the blackened horizon, so what makes this two-track EP particularly special? The special thing about it is that the band's mastermind Hiems knows very well how to create atmosphere without using the conventional tools of atmospheric black metal and he's also a master in provoking a depressive mood without solely relying on the proven ingredients of depressive black metal. The Immaterial Wound is by no means a tentative tightrope walk between sub-genres but a self-confident piece of intense, shattering and haunting black metal and it will take you on a journey through the unfathomable depths and chasms of a tormented soul.

by Starvynth

Vulgarite - Fear Not The Dark Nor The Sun's Return
[Blackened Doom]
Listen at Bandcamp

So, what we have here. A newly formed one-woman project Vulgarite, run by the mistressmind Margaret Killjoy, offering an impressive debut 4-track EP - Fear Not The Dark Nor The Sun's Return. As a very creative artist and multi-instrumentalist, Margaret is involved also in couple of other music projects that she's running alongside, however Vulgarite portrays her heaviest one. Potent blackened doom in its core, it does get challenged with well-placed additional sound elements, such as (church) bells, organs, piano. Consequently deviating to the territories of unknown. Providing tortuous, distantly echoing vocals (in depressive black metal manner), with occasionally appearing clean vocals that are calming and tuning down the whole sound for a bit. Vulgarite will get you through the swirling ride of vulgarity. Fear Not The Dark Nor The Sun's Return does not belong into the category of "promising", this is IT. Embrace it.

by Abattoir

Putrascension - The Obsidian Fog
[Black/Death/Thrash Metal]
Listen at Bandcamp

New Jersey's Putrascension started as something like a melting pot for sideline activities of members from Degrader (black), Abacinate (deathcore), Tombs, Hammer Fight (heavy), Replicant (death) and Windfaerer, but now that their second EP has been revealed - just ten weeks after the release of Hate Lust - there is solid reason for hope that the quartet has already turned into a continuing project. And it would be a genuine pity if it were otherwise, because the three tracks presented here do almost inevitably create a strong desire for more. More of these sticking leads and frenetic, galopping riffs. More of these apocalyptic, bleak melodies. More of these spine-tingling vocals and almost wolf-like howls. More of these tremendously varied, dynamic and propulsive drums. More torment, sheer horror and pure madness turned into music. More Putrascension.

by Starvynth

Poll

What's your favorite new release this issue?

Login or register to vote. Results are hidden

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 55 users
21.02.2020 - 13:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Artwork nhl devils kills all, awesome, but music i vote for rab c nesbit
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.02.2020 - 14:18
musclassia

Close between Vulgarite and Putrascension, but went for the latter as it was slightly more unique-sounding to me
29.02.2020 - 01:47
nikarg

It's a difficult decision between Sluagh and Vulgarite
29.02.2020 - 02:00
Desha
delicious dish
Will this be the year when I finally keep up with all the articles and listen to all the music and make an informed decision??????? We will see.
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
29.02.2020 - 13:59
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by Bad English on 21.02.2020 at 13:52

Artwork nhl devils kills all, awesome

Same here. I just love the unusual color scheme.
And they didn't even engage an external graphician, it's the band's vocalist who did the cover art.
----
signatures = SPAM
29.02.2020 - 15:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Starvynth on 29.02.2020 at 13:59

And they didn't even engage an external graphician, it's the band's vocalist who did the cover art.

I think album artwork in 00 is much better as 60 to 90 when extreme metal arives, 60% of that period bands sucks in artwork
----

apos;'
[image]
29.02.2020 - 17:59
nikarg

Whose artwork are we talking about?
29.02.2020 - 18:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nikarg on 29.02.2020 at 17:59

Whose artwork are we talking about?

I speak in tongs in cuts series, NHL team devils home town band. You know hockey what we play in frozen watter
----

apos;'
[image]
05.03.2020 - 21:28
nikarg

Just so you all know, for the first time in ages, the next issue of Clandestine Cuts is going to feature power metal. Abattoir, Starvynth, Troy and Radu were all crazy willing to do it but I fought them hard for it and I won.
05.03.2020 - 22:17
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by nikarg on 05.03.2020 at 21:28

Just so you all know, for the first time in ages, the next issue of Clandestine Cuts is going to feature power metal. Abattoir, Starvynth, Troy and Radu were all crazy willing to do it but I fought them hard for it and I won.

Damn you, always breaking barriers
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
05.03.2020 - 22:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Its good, we need put this genre more in spotlite, there are shit bands, but thete are good ones....
----

apos;'
[image]
06.03.2020 - 02:05
Desha
delicious dish
Written by Desha on 29.02.2020 at 02:00

Will this be the year when I finally keep up with all the articles and listen to all the music and make an informed decision??????? We will see.

Really hard to decide between Bacterium and Vulgarite, but I chose the former over the latter. I just like the return of raw funeral
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
06.03.2020 - 07:41
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

Less thrash in issues shows lack of research. Include Thrash too.
06.03.2020 - 11:42
nikarg

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 06.03.2020 at 07:41

Less thrash in issues shows lack of research. Include Thrash too.

We'll have some good thrash for you on the issue after the next one. I promise.

Hits total: 3435 | This month: 11