Metal Storm logo
Do you mess up on your fret or pick hand?

Poll

What messes you up the most during a song?

Picking hand, my accuracy isnt well.
All
My fretting hand, my accuracy isnt well.
Some
My frettomg hand, I cant keep speed.
Picking hand, I cant keep speed.
None

Total votes: 44
23.06.2007 - 00:00
Lord TJ
So when you play fast things, what do you have the most trouble with? Keeping speed with your fingers and the position, or picking the right strings at the right time and speed?

Me, I usually mess up with my picking hand. Sometimes with my fretting hand cause I mess up the positions.

How about you?
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
23.06.2007 - 12:31
NECURATU
I know it's boring, but use a metronome. Start slow and as you master them, increase the speed with a single click. That way, you'll get to play inhumanly fast and perfect I play bass and my problem is that sometimes I'm sloppy. I still need to work on synchronizing. My fretting hand gets tired faster and hits the strings a split second too late and with not enough force and it really sucks. The picking hand also messes up sometimes. I amaze myself on how stupid I can be sometimes. Ever seen a bass player shave his strings at 90 degrees, so he actually hits them but they don't ring?!
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
23.06.2007 - 17:17
Sunioj
Hmm...Well the thing that mixes me up the most is probably accuracy, speed usually isnt an issue because I find that I can easily synchronize a good intonation with a certain tempo. Innacuracy of the picking hand during arppeggios gets me off most of the time when performing arppeggios or chords...especially between more than one string per arpeggio.
23.06.2007 - 17:32
NECURATU
Arpeggios like sweeping over the strings?
----
23.06.2007 - 18:01
Sunioj
Written by NECURATU on 23.06.2007 at 17:32

Arpeggios like sweeping over the strings?

Exactly! When I have to connect certain notes over like two or three strings...but I found an alternative, sometimes I just work out where the notes are on the same string, but it seems sorta redundant, I guess have to practice more
23.06.2007 - 21:17
NECURATU
Oh. I still pluck 'em one at a time and let them ring, and when i need to do chords I just strum 'em with my thumb, dunno how correct that is, but it seems to work.
----
23.06.2007 - 22:00
Valentin B
Iconoclast
mostly it's my picking hand, because i can't keep up a tempo for more than 30 seconds and doing the intro for slayer's "black magic" is a pain in the ass
23.06.2007 - 22:27
NECURATU
Endurance is a problem for everybody. Practice with a metronome consistently. I know it's boring, I hate it too...try saying 3 times "the metronome is my friend" when you can't take it anymore. But it helps so much...
----
25.06.2007 - 00:06
Stalker
Lone wanderer
I voted "All", because truth is somewhere in between. When playing fast, I usualy lose coordination between right and left hand.
----
25.06.2007 - 05:55
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I voted "some" because truth be told I mess up with some of it, not all of it. I mess up my picking hand because sometimes I hit the wrong string.
I also mess up my fretting hand because I put it in the wrong place sometimes.

Speed isn't a problem for me, normally it's only the placing, and even then it aint a big deal.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
25.06.2007 - 05:56
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by NECURATU on 23.06.2007 at 22:27

Endurance is a problem for everybody. Practice with a metronome consistently. I know it's boring, I hate it too...try saying 3 times "the metronome is my friend" when you can't take it anymore. But it helps so much...

haha! I actually practice with a metronome, but I love it, I like to challenge myself by playing scales at different speeds over it.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
28.06.2007 - 03:15
APOHAKC
The Bard
Also voted some, my picking hand is rather good, and while playing riffs evrything is ok. But when it comes to solos, I usually mess up something, or everything. So I left solos to better than me
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
28.06.2007 - 06:27
Soliloquy
none. i'm god. hell, i'm better than god. i taught god how to play guitar...acutally fuck that. i taught yngwie malmsteen how to play guitar!

actually no. in all honesty, i dont really come across any things i fuck up on. i admit i'm slow when it comes to sweeping/shredding and all that stuff. but i manage

one thing that sort of fucks me up is trying to learn new things. when i first started, i was learning some 2 or 3 songs in a day. now, i barley do quarter of a song in a month. not really a rut, coz i'm enjoying being random.
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
28.06.2007 - 07:24
tulkas
el parcero
i voted some, refering to the time when i used to play guitar. i remember it was a liitle bit of everything. i kinda had my days when i messed up on the picking, others when i messed up on the fretting, and obviously days when i just fucked it up all the way hahaha
then i kinda got bored and stopped playing, lack of perseverance i guess...
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
24.10.2007 - 22:01
slowdeathchick
when i mess up it with my fretting hand, its like its retarded or something, cuz anytime I have a fast song to play the right hand is fine but the left hand is still goin super slow like im a beginner again lol granted usually once i play through a couple of times Im fine.
----
The past defines the future, but sometimes you must leave something behind to be able to grow.

Gaahl
24.10.2007 - 22:41
Too many fail.
synchronization mostly, not really problems with independent hands as i have no reason to play yngwie speed, its mostly about getting them to work together.
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
25.10.2007 - 14:24
Alex Smith
My accuracy isn't well. Sometimes I miss a string.
26.10.2007 - 11:09
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
my left-hand-right-hand coordination is perfect thus I NEVER MESS UP, but you know even I have my bad times:
sweeping - fretting hand - my speed fails me
shredding - fretting hand - coz I sometimes miss a string and everything gets messed up.
tapping - fretting hand - coz there is no picking hand here looool
chords playing - fretting hand - my pinky just cant stay on the same string for more than 2 seconds.

that about sums up my failures, if they ever happen that is..
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
01.11.2007 - 14:59
Woutjinho
Account deleted
mostly the speed with my picking hand. but ofcourse that means my accuary isnt good as well
01.11.2007 - 17:59
Hyvaarin
I'd say it's mostly picking hand. Not fast enough for what I want to play, and when it's within my capabilities, my technique is a little bit unrefined. Working on it now, though .
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
02.11.2007 - 05:15
Asphyxia
Account deleted
I mess up both hands but with really intricate riffs it's easier to jump strings with the fretting hand
02.11.2007 - 06:33
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I have my picking all down really well...but it's the fretting that I'm still quite awkward with...something I fuck the both up...I find that I get clumsy really quickly unfortunately...all due to not having enough time to practice...when I'm on stage though it's always the fretting that I mess up on...I always seem to focus more on the picking hand for some reason while playing live...
02.11.2007 - 17:29
NECURATU
I've noticed that my fretting hand sucks 2. very sluggish. Me being left handed and playing right hand I've always thought the right hand will be the problem, but it seems it ain't. Oh well, lots of work solves everything.
----
02.11.2007 - 18:45
Lord TJ
So wouldn't your picking hand be messing up?
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

11.03.2008 - 18:26
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
So are there exercises to help one's picking hand aside from just simply practicing?
14.03.2008 - 13:52
Smurfophagist
When I play fast solos, my left/right hand synchronization gets fucked up...one hand is faster than the other, that's mainly my problem.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
18.03.2008 - 15:26
Hangar XVIII
I don't usually mess up very often anymore, but I usually do on technical stuff with my fretting hand. I usually focus too much on the rhythm of the picking, and just loosely time the fretting. I also can't sweep pick to save my life.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
18.03.2008 - 15:44
Lord TJ
I am getting better with accuracy, but it annoys me a lot when im playing good and all the other strings begin to ring.
----

18.03.2008 - 22:28
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
I have many problems with the fret sometimes, but others the pick is killing me because my sweat.
22.03.2008 - 21:33
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Nighthowls on 11.03.2008 at 18:26

So are there exercises to help one's picking hand aside from just simply practicing?

Try a chromatic scale playing triplets on each string, going up and down, with alternative picking on each string, that means if you pick primarily pick down on the E string, then your first note on the A string you will pick up. I know it's not precise, you'd have to see it to know what i mean, it's an exercise from my guitar teacher.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln