Metal Storm logo
Of Longing And Dead Love: Breakup Songs

Thumbs up: +2
A lot of songs make me think about breakups. Here's some of them that I remember. Probably the usual suspects, I don't listen to that many different bands.

Lyrics aren't necessarily about breakups, but make me think of them. Or about looking back on relationships. List will hopefully be updated as I find/remember more songs like this, feel free to suggest your own. Like, comment and subscribe and all this.

Artwork is accompanying artwork to Warning's "Watching From a Distance" that I saw at Roadburn.

Created by: Desha | 03.03.2020

1. Tool - Schism
(alternative, prog) Our favourite radio rock band is back with their grammy winning song about growing apart! I hear this one is musically complex or something but this doesn't matter. A good reflection on a breakup and always blaming the other party, but realizing you just grew apart. You may think this is the nerdiest way you could talk about arguments and breakups, but hold your horses, the list is not over yet.
2. Giant Squid - Blue Linckia (Linckia Laevigata)
(post) Lynckia Laevigata is a species of blue sea stars that multiply by losing arms/legs. Sometimes losing a leg hurts, but you'll grow past it. This has so many good parallels to breakups it's insane and made me have the idea to compile a few of these in the first place. This is the "I will survive" of metal.
3. Warning - Footprints
(doom) Honestly this whole album could fit here. I never quite know if it's actually about breakups or long distance, crushes, whatever. But sometimes being with someone leaves you completely destroyed and when it's over, you discover new feelings you before didn't really understand.
4. Katatonia - Gone
(alt/goth rock) One of the less subtle/metaphorical songs on here. It is what it is and it's effective.
5. Hammers Of Misfortune - Doomed Parade
(prog, heavy) Sometimes people are just really mean and you know what? Fuck em. How fucking dare they talk to you like that. Feeling betrayed but still reminiscing about shared moments is essential.
6. Opeth - Coil
(prog) Less about about a real breakup and more about leaving people behind and looking back? Gives me the general vibe still. Top 3 clean Opeth songs.
7. The Ocean - Permian: The Great Dying
(post) This is that nerdiest take on breakups. You think they're talking about world defining events or massive proportions, but actually there's a dude who really can't get why you haven't returned his text after that argument, please text back the world is ending around me.
8. A Forest Of Stars - Dead Love
(some proggy stuff?) Another less subtle song, but somehow really uplifting. Love is seldom true and most is fated to die. Don't beat yourself up over it. Really hitting this "melancholic but uplifting" niche.
9. Giant Squid - Sevengill
(post) I couldn't resist putting them on here again. Sometimes a relationship leaves you in a really dark place, and you wish hell upon the other person for doing this to you. Not always do they deserve that. Sometimes they were just a tool of fate. Kind of the opposite of Blue Lynckia, in that the relationship and breakup destroyed the narrator and is anything but overcome.
10. Bell Witch - Longing (The River Of Ash)
(funeral doom) Longing for the past to return, but what lies dead won't return. You tried often, but severing the past is impossible. Sometimes it makes you feel empty and hopeless. Like this song.
11. The Body - The Fall and the Guilt
(post) They knew nothing about this love, that was so so special. But everything comes to an end.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Desha ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 7   Visited by: 15 users
08.03.2020 - 16:13
Starvynth
i c deaf people

----
signatures = SPAM
08.03.2020 - 16:44
JoHn Doe

Anathema - One Last Goodbye comes to mind
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
08.03.2020 - 22:59
Desha
delicious dish
Written by JoHn Doe on 08.03.2020 at 16:44

Anathema - One Last Goodbye comes to mind

This was actually in my original Spotify list that this is based on and I have no idea why I forgot to include it.
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
08.04.2020 - 17:23
Sand

These are mine

Clouds - If These Walls Could Speak (for the first days after the breakup when you can't breathe)
Crippled Black Phoenix - Scared and Alone (for when you can't remember why you broke up and caused so much sadness)
A Whisper in the Noise - Go Now (for when you wish the best for someone you love and you let them leave because that's better for them)
----
Non serviam
08.04.2020 - 17:32
JoHn Doe

Gary Moore - Empty Rooms
lyrics are so sad, who broke Gary's heart?
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
08.04.2020 - 18:43
nikarg

Not metal, but I always thought Archive have made the perfect trilogy for relationships: "You Make Me Feel" for when you are madly in love, "Again" for when things have turned bad and you are breaking up, and "Fuck U" for when you finally realize how much life this relationship has sucked out of you. Even though the latter was not written with this intention, the lyrics are perfect.

As far as metal goes, instead of wallowing in self pity, I opt for this.
09.04.2020 - 01:28
no one

How about this one

----
Unable to connect to the database

Hits total: 424 | This month: 2