Metal Storm logo
Transsylvania Phoenix

28.06.2007 - 08:05
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I had been wanting to hear these guys for forever (for some odd reason I have a deep interest in Romania and it's culture, as well as it's footballers:D). I had recently heard Cantofabule as I had heard it was one of their best. Boy was I blown away. These guys are simply one of the most amazing bands I've ever heard. Enough of that though, I must give some backround info. As you may know these guys are from Romania, and were formed in the 1962 under the name Sfinţii doing Beatles' covers. The communist goverment at the time then forced them to change their style and that they should look for inspiration in Romanian culture. Nicolae Covaci (leader, singer and guitar player) then used Romanian folklore as a deep inspiration for their unique sound. My favorite albums are Cantofabule and Cei Ce Ne-Au Dat Nume which are the only two albums I've heard by them as they are quite rare. If you have heard of them let me know, these guys definitely deserve some recognition!
02.07.2007 - 13:50
marillionfan
Account deleted
Wow, I'm sure glad to see Phoenix appreciated by an American!:D Well, actually Transylvania Phoenix was the band title they used when they were in Germany in the eighties, as they ran abroad there in late 70s except vocalist Mircea Baniciu who stayed in Romania. To me, Phoenix is the greatest rock band in my country, still making music nowadays (their last album Baba Novak was released in 2005, amazing come back album, I saw them live in october 2005 - superlative live show).

Well, I'm very impressed you know a lot of things about Phoenix. It's unfortunately difficult to purchase their albums abroad. Nevertheless it is great you own two of their albums. Here are the titles of the albums i wish you could find: Mugur de Fluier (1974 - has been re-released on CD), SymPhoenix (1992 - a kind of compilation of old songs and a few new ones with symphonic orchestra), Aniversare 35 (1997 - aniversary album, nice compilation with a few medleys of their 70s and 80s work), In umbra Marelui Urs (2000) and Baba Novak (2005). The material they released in Germany was some of their 70s successes - in English and of course new songs).

that's all for now. I'll see ya later.;D
04.07.2007 - 01:45
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I wish I could find this albums, I have tried countless times, to even download some of their stuff, occasionally I'll get some rare stuff, so I have a few songs here and their downloaded. I do know that they sell Baba Novak on their website, and if things go accordingly I will most likely order that album. These guys are fantastic, the best Romanian band I have ever heard, and I've heard a few. Sfinx is also a good Romanian band.
01.12.2008 - 13:04
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Wow, this is something i've never expected, a Phoenix thread on Metalstorm. to my shame i'm not really familiar with their music though everytime i hear one of their songs i feel like i'm on a mountain top with a guitar in my hand... wonderful.
28.12.2008 - 13:00
baldur

Cantofabule is a masterpiece of an album, invocatie is the best track on it imo
one of the greatest prog/folk/rock bands of the 70s for me!