Metal Storm logo
Bad English - The Secret Behind Bad English Revealed

With the recent April Fools' Bad English saga of first pretending that he is permabanned and then that his English skills are a gimmick, we've had second thoughts after seeing a fair deal of people take the second seriously because it was posted on April 2nd instead of April 1st. We felt a bit guilty about continuing the joke after April Fools', so we decided to come clean about Bad English.

Bad English is a project started by Ivan, the website's creator, about 15 years ago. Ivan was studying linguistics, after mastering php and Fortran, he was more interested in human languages, and mostly the idea of how broken up a language could be and still be understood. He of course had to adapt this bot to speak some sort of English, as this would be the language that would be spoken on the forum of the website he was also working on and he intended to test Bad English there. At first, he didn't want to make Bad English' nature obvious, so he attempted to mask him as a regular user, giving him the somewhat inconspicuous name of K7. It was only after another member of the staff found Bad English coded in the website that Ivan decided to tell the rest of the staff about his existence and changed his username.

Lately the bot seems to have suffered some bugs, as Ivan accidentally coded the "newspost" bot into Bad English, and its functionality was compromised by the news being added in the forum copy-pasted instead of as news. Because we haven't been able to fix this bug in due time, we have decided to retire Bad English by pretending that he would be permabanned for spamming. We figured April Fools' might be a good opportunity to do so.

Of course, Bad English was in a sense just the precursor of Ivan's other bots, like the complain bot or the review bot, the latter of which was assigned to generate this article. The former shall of course remain unnamed.
Posted: 03.04.2020 by RaduP

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 35   [ 4 ignored ]   Visited by: 192 users
03.04.2020 - 17:51
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Irritable Ted on 03.04.2020 at 17:49

So is mikeprado30 the "I like everything how ever crap" bot?

I am not authorized to make that information public.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
03.04.2020 - 17:54
nikarg

LMAO
You need to tell us about all the other bots too.
03.04.2020 - 17:57
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
I hope this lasts all April
----
03.04.2020 - 17:59
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by nikarg on 03.04.2020 at 17:54

LMAO
You need to tell us about all the other bots too.

There was one alt-right bot that was recently removed. In fact, he was one of the few, each initialized with a different edginess seed. Some are still active and ask for Arghoslent to be added (hint: they never will).
----
03.04.2020 - 18:01
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
"The former shall of course remain unnamed".

you should restrict access to the LOG then
----
03.04.2020 - 18:04
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Now I'm curious: who has programmed the "add Arghoslent" bot?
And why?
I mean WHY??
----
signatures = SPAM
03.04.2020 - 18:09
IBlackened

I"m not the complaining bot. Just sayin'.
----
Their old stuff is better.
03.04.2020 - 18:11
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by IBlackened on 03.04.2020 at 18:09

I"m not the complain bot. Just sayin'.

----
03.04.2020 - 18:14
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Ansercanagicus on 03.04.2020 at 17:57

I hope this lasts all April

We will declassify more information in due time.
----
03.04.2020 - 18:31
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Wait... is every poster on here a bot??? AM I A BOT??? How can I know if someone is real?!?!
03.04.2020 - 18:47
Nejde
CommunityManager
This is getting ridiculous. I don't know what to believe any more to be honest. Is this gonna be an April's fools in absurdum that's keeps going on through all of April?
Also, if Bad English actually is a bot, did it rig the election and made Trump president?
----
Bow to the King Hercules!
03.04.2020 - 18:55
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Nejde on 03.04.2020 at 18:47

Also, if Bad English actually is a bot, did it rig the election and made Trump president?

You are free to speculate that the broken English and news-posting features of Bad English might have something to do with the fake news epidemics, but we are not allowed to comment on that publicly.
----
03.04.2020 - 19:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

This is getting ridiculous. I don't know what to believe any more to be honest. Is this gonna be an April's fools in absurdum that's keeps going on through all of April?

Vote for me and I will made metalstorm.net great again.
Greetings fron Nikkaluokta
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.04.2020 - 19:41
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by Bad English on 03.04.2020 at 19:29

You got my vote
And Nikkaluokta. That's f*cking hilarious!
----
Bow to the King Hercules!
03.04.2020 - 19:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Nejde on 03.04.2020 at 19:41

Written by Bad English on 03.04.2020 at 19:29

You got my vote
And Nikkaluokta. That's f*cking hilarious!

Padjelante have you been there, its amazing place.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.04.2020 - 20:17
MetalManic

Dawn of Solace is Suomi metal.
03.04.2020 - 20:53
Maco
Pvt Funderground
The fuck is Suomi Metal
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
03.04.2020 - 20:53
MetalManic

If so, then should a bot be giving albums ratings on MS? There was a bit of a dilemma re: the multi accounts and vote boosting during the 2019 MS Awards. This is essentially the same thing. Sure, a single vote doesn't make such a big difference on a more popular album, but an album that has <10 votes could have a drastically skewed rating because of this.

It too could have a negative impact on a band's album(s)sale because of it's rating on MS. Perhaps a lowly rated album (due to the skewed rating) would be skipped by a MS user, solely due to it's overall poor rating. Kind of like how people have a tendency to skip reading the reviews of an album with a posted numerical rating. I reckon that is why many of the current reviewers are omitting the number rating on this site these days.
03.04.2020 - 22:00
nikarg

Written by Starvynth on 03.04.2020 at 18:04

Now I'm curious: who has programmed the "add Arghoslent" bot?
And why?
I mean WHY??

Every system has its glitches.
03.04.2020 - 22:33
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Quote:
At first, he didn't want to make Bad English' nature obvious, so he attempted to mask him as a regular user, giving him the somewhat inconspicuous name of K7. It was only after another member of the staff found Bad English coded in the website that Ivan decided to tell the rest of the staff about his existence and changed his username.

Holy shit! True story behind coding K7.

In case anyone doesn't know about my embarrassment story related to K7, initially, I thought Bad English and K7 are two different entities.
04.04.2020 - 01:42
Desha
delicious dish
This is the fanfic we've all been waiting for. Curious to see how it'll develop.
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
04.04.2020 - 04:10
Aries Rising

Next post will reveal that half of Metalstorm's active users are actually bots and this site is ground zero for some secret AI war raging across the internet.
04.04.2020 - 04:41
Netzach
Planewalker
Damn it, here I was just getting over my recent bout of solipsism. You guys... actually exist, right? Right?
04.04.2020 - 13:31
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Netzach on 04.04.2020 at 04:41

Damn it, here I was just getting over my recent bout of solipsism. You guys... actually exist, right? Right?

I do. I imagined you all
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
04.04.2020 - 14:19
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Aries Rising on 04.04.2020 at 04:10

Next post will reveal that half of Metalstorm's active users are actually bots and this site is ground zero for some secret AI war raging across the internet.

Don't come to this site if your name is Sarah Connor.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
04.04.2020 - 16:34
musclassia

Written by Aries Rising on 04.04.2020 at 04:10

Every account on Reddit MetalStorm is a bot except you
04.04.2020 - 16:58
Netzach
Planewalker
Written by Darkside Momo on 04.04.2020 at 13:31

I do. I imagined you all

Huh... Feel free to keep that up for a while, will you?
04.04.2020 - 19:44
Defiant47

I think, therefore I am a bot.
04.04.2020 - 19:57
SAY10

Not sure how is it good for the community to read something like this, but you know better.
04.04.2020 - 23:14
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I don't know why I feel this April fest will qualify for "Drama Of The Year". Just a hunch.

Hits total: 2237 | This month: 8