Metal Storm logo
Headbanging - a real pain in the neck

Original post

Posted by , 29.06.2007 - 23:46
Last night, I went and saw some sludge/death metal/crustcore bands play. They all had a lot of really slow, heavy songs that are impossible to not headbang to. Now, I regret it ever happened, I can hardly even move my neck. Any tips for relieving or preventing neck pain?
03.11.2007 - 12:11
Promonex
Cathemeral
Written by Warman on 08.10.2007 at 16:57

I actually like the pain afterwards, if it's severe it's probably been one hell of a concert!

I've been thinking like that as well. At some time I figured that I've become too demanding as I didn't seem to enjoy concerts like I did back then when I had bangovers lasting seven days. Then I realized that it was actually my neck which just got used to it all

So yeah, training helps a lot. Three years ago I'd have a bangover for a week from only one concert, by now I can bang throughout a festival without any pain at all. The important thing is not to overdo one movement. Standing tall and tilting your head back and forth all the time will most likely result in a strained neck.

This is how I usually do it: one foot in front, the other half a meter behind in a right angle to the first. Put your weight on the front foot (and put the other one up front if the pressure gets too much) and use your upper body to follow the banging movement (some refer to it as "body-banging"). This way you'll be able to throw your hair back again without having to tilt your head back to the nape of the neck. This position also ensures you've got a stable stand even after a lot of banging and/or boozing. Also do different movements, not only the back-forth-whiplash, but also the eight or the windmill which both require more muscles than the whiplash and thus don't focus as much on only a few muscles.

So you've done everything wrong (or right, depends on your point of view) and got an awful pain the day after nonetheless? A massage always helps, especially if you combine it with medicinal stuff you usually apply when you got strained muscles; if you ain't got any of that at home or prefer natural stuff, essential oils are a real catharsis to the neck as well. And as already mentioned a warm shower or bath is great as well.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
03.11.2007 - 12:45
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Nothing beats the windmill.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
03.11.2007 - 12:59
Deadsoulman

Written by Lucas on 03.11.2007 at 12:45

The windmill is ridiculous if you don't have long hair
03.11.2007 - 13:01
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Deadsoulman on 03.11.2007 at 12:59

Yeah, true. I think I am half-qualified.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
03.11.2007 - 13:34
Promonex
Cathemeral
Written by Lucas on 03.11.2007 at 13:01

Written by Deadsoulman on 03.11.2007 at 12:59

Yeah, true. I think I am half-qualified.

Half-qualified is still ridiculous
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
03.11.2007 - 13:35
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Promonex on 03.11.2007 at 13:34

Half-qualified is still ridiculous

Haha, well, not as ridiculous as bold people.
----

03.11.2007 - 14:23
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Written by Lucas on 03.11.2007 at 13:35

Haha, well, not as ridiculous as bold people.

I've got short hair now, no trouble for banging I had a bit longer hair before, was nice to make a windmill, until the room starts whirling around
----
03.11.2007 - 14:32
Sunioj

Written by Øyvind on 03.11.2007 at 14:23

I had a bit longer hair before, was nice to make a windmill, until the room starts whirling around

Especially if you downed a crapload of alcoholic beverages before the show. I actually feel drunker like that.
03.11.2007 - 14:35
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Written by Sunioj on 03.11.2007 at 14:32

Especially if you downed a crapload of alcoholic beverages before the show. I actually feel drunker like that.

Why only before? Before, during, throw up, during, after, throw up, go home, etc. etc.
----
03.11.2007 - 14:43
Sunioj

Written by Øyvind on 03.11.2007 at 14:35

Why only before? Before, during, throw up, during, after, throw up, go home, etc. etc.

Haha, good point! As a challenge, I also try downing a litre of beer while puking at the same time. Fun but messy.
03.11.2007 - 14:45
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Written by Sunioj on 03.11.2007 at 14:43

Written by Øyvind on 03.11.2007 at 14:35

Haha, good point! As a challenge, I also try downing a litre of beer while puking at the same time. Fun but messy.

LOL, weird
----
03.11.2007 - 15:21
Soliloquy

hummm..this works for me, so perhaps it will do the same to you...

whenever headbanging, make sure your neck has minimal ability to move, so basically lock your neck. then instead of moving your neck back and forth, try moving your upper body. and if that feels awkward, try standing in a power stance(something you see those guitarists do all the time) and then move your leg with it too.

it looks more extreme!
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
04.11.2008 - 14:13
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
My neck never seems to get tired from headbanging at concerts. I only start to get a headache and that's usually from dehydration after awhile lol. I have to say though, I can do one sexy haircopter when I do it.

The best way to headbang I've learned is to use as little neck muscles as ossible and use the momentum from your head and body to do the primary movement.... but a good metalhead should already know this sort of info
----
Coldgrits
06.11.2008 - 00:42
benvolent

I figured out, that the "headbanging" of Jens Kidman is actually quite enjoyable - looks weird, economic concerning space and pain, fancy and if you're bored by yourself after a while or the band gives a bit more you can still change style and do the good old "when-I-do-headbanging-my-head-will-crush-my-knee"...

a good repertoire is all!
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
06.11.2008 - 00:51
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust

Haha on Halloween I was running low on funds so I just covered myself in baby powder, and discovered that the windmill headbang became a tornado of dust...
06.11.2008 - 01:23
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Yeah that windmilling must be a real pain in the neck...I went and saw Quo Vadis last week and they were doing quite a lot of windmilling...the hardcore bands I usually see around here do a shitload of windmilling...although i'm sure that if I had all that hair, I would do windmilling too...
06.11.2008 - 02:19
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Only after Kreator I couldn't move my head. But really I could't. I didn't sleep that night because of the pain. But the feeling is absolutely perfect!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
06.11.2008 - 04:10
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
Man if i had a nickel ..... (bad phrase) but not only do i get the neck cramp, its sometimes followed by a badass headache and sometimes even a soar throat next day aaah man do i enjoy going to concerts!!
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
06.11.2008 - 04:55
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
It doesnt bother my neck as much as it does my brain lol...
09.11.2008 - 11:43
Drizzling Blur
Account deleted
I've seen Sahg and Satyricon Live day before yesterday and I've stiff got a stiff neck
23.12.2008 - 14:07
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
So, according to a study from two researchers of the University of New South Wales (Australia), head-banging can cause mild brain injury and several other bad stuff! Click here read the entire article and in fact there are a lot of injured people out here but the way I see it, just keep on banging!!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
23.12.2008 - 15:05
Charly546

Yeah, sure, keep on banging and fuck up your neck and head. YAY METAL!
23.12.2008 - 17:20
TheBigRossowski

I decided I would wait until my hair is at least to my shoulders... or close. I hate headbanging with short hair, it just feels ridiculous and face it....LOOKS ridiculous. *Most of the time

The last band I banged my head for was Enslaved and after that I think I'll just wait it out.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
24.12.2008 - 04:45
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@CDR: Yeah I used to headbang at shows but I have short hair...I don't headbang at shows anymore...I don't even mosh...I just go up into the mezz, get drunk and yell shit at the bands...
28.12.2008 - 18:04
Coté

I remember a festival I asisted in the city I live. It's like a tradition, every august the festival comes and different bands perform.
I wont forget the pain afterwards, as somebody said before, I could barely sleep; but ir felt awesome! xD
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::