Metal Storm logo
Do you work out, and why?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 01.07.2007 - 16:59
well, i was just curious, with all the metal imagery consisting of so many "musclebands"(manowar, venom, hammerfall etc) who try to look so tough and "heavy", and having muscly band members is a must.

i do, for health and looking good.

Poll

Why do you work out, if you do?

both of the above
don't work out
for health
to look good

Total votes: 228
07.11.2011 - 23:57
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Heavy metal and being ripped go hand in hand pretty much. I work out alot, keep myself strong. Shows all those gay rap loving jocks their not the onlys ones who lift weights.
08.11.2011 - 09:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Heavy metal and being ripped? Not really.

Heavy metal (assuming we're talking about metal as a whole when saying heavy metal) goes with being either obese or skeletal.

Otherwise, heavy metal goes with being homoerotic.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.11.2011 - 23:14
Lit.
Account deleted
Does working out your brain count?
11.11.2011 - 23:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 11.11.2011 at 23:14
Does working out your brain count?

That's the only kind of working out people should be overly concerned with.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.11.2011 - 09:27
JCJen7
Written by Guest on 07.11.2011 at 23:57

Heavy metal and being ripped go hand in hand pretty much. I work out alot, keep myself strong. Shows all those gay rap loving jocks their not the onlys ones who lift weights.

You are hilarious
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
15.11.2011 - 20:18
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Written by JCJen7 on 15.11.2011 at 09:27

Written by Guest on 07.11.2011 at 23:57

You are hilarious

Oh yeah? Whys that.
15.11.2011 - 22:07
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.11.2011 at 09:05

Heavy metal and being ripped? Not really.

Heavy metal (assuming we're talking about metal as a whole when saying heavy metal) goes with being either obese or skeletal.

Otherwise, heavy metal goes with being homoerotic.

or you can have both semi-ripped and homoerotic:

anyway I can see why people associate some metal (at least the subgenres of heavy metal, trad doom, stoner, thrash and death metal) with being either huge and muscled like a Hell's Angel or something, or just totally ripped.
15.11.2011 - 22:22
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I've recently started going to the gym again, this time with more supplements than the last time. All I can say is that it's been amazing, my self-confidence and general energy levels have probably never been higher. Seeing as I naturally put on very little muscle, it was awesome to finally notice that i'm beginning to outgrow some of my t-shirts, and there's a very noticeable increase in strength too.
15.11.2011 - 23:40
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Valentin B on 15.11.2011 at 22:22

I've recently started going to the gym again, this time with more supplements than the last time.

Supplements? Which? Why?

Supplements bear the risk of making you look like made of rubber or leave an impression of being inflated. Some blokes who feel the need to bulk up fast for the beach season quickly do their workout, ingest their powders and shakes, get the form and as soon as they leave a gap in the workout schedule, they "deflate" and become saggy. You may say that "but it's protein inside the supplements"... yep but it's synthetic. The calories you get from quality food are of greater value. Natural things provide natural strength.

Even if you take some milkshake, stay away from steroids, right...

Call me puritan but it's just a principle me, my bro and some of our friends have. A former schoolmate of me bro, however, takes supplements and he's bulking up immensely. Well, everyone says he looks rather awful too. I don't think I'd feel well if I looked like the Michelin man.
16.11.2011 - 00:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Viggo you sound like you've had negative experiences with juiceheads. Supplements aren't as bad as you make them out to be. Some of them are actually quite beneficial.
----
16.11.2011 - 00:44
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.11.2011 at 00:25

Viggo you sound like you've had negative experiences with juiceheads. Supplements aren't as bad as you make them out to be. Some of them are actually quite beneficial.

I don't. But I don't plan to become a juicehead myself. It's about well-being. Besides, what's the point in being all large but having the balls of the size of raisins. Therefore, steroids are a no-no. Plus, you feel a lot better by being big naturally.
16.11.2011 - 01:02
kvlt
Viggo you aren't quite right about the balls and stuff. It's ok to take one steroid course and add some 5 kilos. Besides during the course you can have sex all night long and in the morning you'll still have a hard on))))
16.11.2011 - 01:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Plus who said supplements are steroids? There are natural supplements as well.
----
16.11.2011 - 10:54
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ernis on 15.11.2011 at 23:40

Even if you take some milkshake, stay away from steroids, right...

Call me puritan but it's just a principle me, my bro and some of our friends have. A former schoolmate of me bro, however, takes supplements and he's bulking up immensely. Well, everyone says he looks rather awful too. I don't think I'd feel well if I looked like the Michelin man.

I'm not taking steroids. The thing is i'm naturally very skinny and have a hard time putting muscle tissue on without supplements, for me trying to get muscled without supplements would take more time and patience than can be asked of any reasonable human. That and cooking and buying all the extra food that would provide me these nutrients would be too time-consuming, not to mention even eating so much food would make me sick.

Currently i'm taking a protein/carb shake (4-5 servings a day on workout days) and tribulus pills (1-2 every day). I also don't like the "Juiceheads" or the typical "Protein Broskis" at the gym, as I think working out should both help you get a more fit body and clear your head of negative thoughts. But then again, I don't really care about them, I go to the gym, I do my sets, I drink my stuff, I see results, and that's all that matters.
16.11.2011 - 22:52
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Valentin B on 16.11.2011 at 10:54

I'm not taking steroids. The thing is i'm naturally very skinny and have a hard time putting muscle tissue on without supplements, for me trying to get muscled without supplements would take more time and patience than can be asked of any reasonable human.

Being naturally skinny/fat/tall/short doesn't mean anything... I could say I've always been naturally rather tall and lean (I love it how people somehow always assume I'm short and stocky and then are surprised when they see me in person). But in fact it's good because I don't have to worry about becoming soft and jiggly. I eat what I want, when I want and how much I want. I don't have a schedule such as "in one month you need to be able to bench press 140 kg" or "you have to weigh 90 kg in one month". Workout is for the good feeling and the results will be there anyway if you really do it regularly.

By the way... people often think I weigh 10 kg more than my usual weight. Your weight depends also on your fat percentage, bone density etc... You can be light but yet strong as hell as one dude I went to the arena together. He's very slim but his strength is immense and he can do exercises I can only dream of. I might have more muscle mass but just being jacked doesn't give you all the power (by the way, naturally developed muscle is said to be stronger than synthetically grown one).

Speaking of weight... I had one schoolmate who weighed around 100 kg and looked only slightly chubby. When he weighed 80 kg he was skinny and everyone assumed he was starving or sth. High bone density most probably. Of course, being chubby adds the extra pounds but at the same time having a heavy skeleton and lean physique is a good combination.
18.11.2011 - 04:34
second_coming89
Account deleted
Anyone here ever spiked their protein shakes with horny goat weed?
18.11.2011 - 10:20
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 18.11.2011 at 04:34

Anyone here ever spiked their protein shakes with horny goat weed?

Do you ever do anything besides get high on pot and drink booze?
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
18.11.2011 - 14:29
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Ernis on 16.11.2011 at 22:52

Written by Valentin B on 16.11.2011 at 10:54

I'm not taking steroids. The thing is i'm naturally very skinny and have a hard time putting muscle tissue on without supplements, for me trying to get muscled without supplements would take more time and patience than can be asked of any reasonable human.

Being naturally skinny/fat/tall/short doesn't mean anything...
You can be light but yet strong as hell as one dude I went to the arena together. He's very slim but his strength is immense and he can do exercises I can only dream of. I might have more muscle mass but just being jacked doesn't give you all the power (by the way, naturally developed muscle is said to be stronger than synthetically grown one).

i am just 52 kg... that means that i am very,very slim but my muscles are quite strong.I mean i can lift up to 85-90 kg just like that (probably a result of growing up on farm)!
so i can confirm your statement.Being artificially "pumped" is only for looks,the real strength lies in nature
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
18.11.2011 - 15:06
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 18.11.2011 at 14:29

i am just 52 kg... that means that i am very,very slim but my muscles are quite strong.I mean i can lift up to 85-90 kg just like that (probably a result of growing up on farm)!
so i can confirm your statement.Being artificially "pumped" is only for looks,the real strength lies in nature

that's only because you grew up doing heavy lifting and physical exercise. It wouldn't matter if you were 52 or 100 kg in that case, you would still have good physical strength.

imo above-average physical strength is useless unless your lifestyle or work area demands it, like if you're a construction worker or athlete, or live at a farm (and not the typical "European" farm, but the "Balkanic" farm).
18.11.2011 - 15:08
Slayer666
Written by vezzy on 18.11.2011 at 10:20

Do you ever do anything besides get high on pot and drink booze?

What else in life is there worth doing? (besides effin', but I imagine that comes naturally if you're hanging out with others who are wasted/high all the time)

On-topic:
I used to work out quite a bit, but I stopped for some reason (laziness, too busy with schoolwork, you name it). I'm planning to start hitting a gym in recent future, hopefully before all my muscles completely atrophy.
18.11.2011 - 17:01
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Valentin B on 18.11.2011 at 15:06

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 18.11.2011 at 14:29

that's only because you grew up doing heavy lifting and physical exercise. It wouldn't matter if you were 52 or 100 kg in that case, you would still have good physical strength.

imo above-average physical strength is useless unless your lifestyle or work area demands it, like if you're a construction worker or athlete, or live at a farm (and not the typical "European" farm, but the "Balkanic" farm).

yes i agree with you...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
18.11.2011 - 17:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 15.11.2011 at 22:07

anyway I can see why people associate some metal (at least the subgenres of ... trad doom, stoner... with being either huge and muscled like a Hell's Angel or something, or just totally ripped.

imo both are the fattest subgenres arounds
You have clearly never been to any total doom fest or Roadburn. Almost no ripped and muscled people around, tiny skinny dudes and fat fucks like me, that's more or less it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.11.2011 - 17:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.11.2011 at 17:39
tiny skinny dudes

You rang?

Yeah... Roadburn had just those two options pretty much. The only people I remember looking kind of ripped were the ones of the "hardcore" scene (read: Today is the day and the dudes from Trap Them)
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.11.2011 - 17:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.11.2011 at 17:48

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.11.2011 at 17:39
tiny skinny dudes

You rang?

Yeah... Roadburn had just those two options pretty much. The only people I remember looking kind of ripped were the ones of the "hardcore" scene (read: Today is the day and the dudes from Trap Them)

Exactly.

But I think Bas (the guy in the trunk on the way home on Thursday) is even smaller and skinnier than you
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.11.2011 - 17:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.11.2011 at 17:49

Exactly.
But I think Bas (the guy in the trunk on the way home on Thursday) is even smaller and skinnier than you

Oh yeah, that guy with the glasses and liked Devil Doll? Yeah, he was definitely smaller than me...
I wanted to keep him as a pet
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.11.2011 - 17:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.11.2011 at 17:51

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.11.2011 at 17:49

Exactly.

Oh yeah, that guy with the glasses and liked Devil Doll? Yeah, he was definitely smaller than me...
I wanted to keep him as a pet

Yeah, that guy.
That would have been a pet of a little over twice your age
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.11.2011 - 20:14
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Slayer666 on 18.11.2011 at 15:08
What else in life is there worth doing? (besides effin'...)

You can say "fuck", you know.

Like this.

Fuck.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
18.11.2011 - 21:02
Slayer666
Written by vezzy on 18.11.2011 at 20:14

You can say "fuck", you know.

Like this.

Fuck.

Just trying to keep it civil. I was told I have to watch my mouth around kids, lest I give them a bad example and they turn out like me. Nobody wants that.
18.11.2011 - 21:04
JD
Account deleted
Le me wanna try it.

Fuck.
18.11.2011 - 21:11
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Valentin B on 18.11.2011 at 15:06

You mean that physical strength is useless but looking "big" is? Well thanks for honesty in any case.

Written by Guest on 18.11.2011 at 21:04

Le me wanna try it.

Fuck.

C'est off-topic, mais je voulais savoir si tu parlais français. Tu as utilisé l'article LE, mais dans un text anglais. Est-ce une nouvelle particularité linguistique chez canadiens?
It's off-topic but I wanted to ask if you spoke French. You used the article LE but in an English text. Is that a new Canadian linguistic phenomenon?