Why do you work out, if you do?

both of the above90
don't work out62
for health39
to look good30

Total votes: 221

The original post

Posted by Valentin B on 01.07.2007 at 16:59
well, i was just curious, with all the metal imagery consisting of so many "musclebands"(manowar, venom, hammerfall etc) who try to look so tough and "heavy", and having muscly band members is a must.

i do, for health and looking good.

Page 18 of 21

Valentin B
Iconoclast

18.11.2011 at 21:20
Written by Ernis on 18.11.2011 at 21:11

Written by Valentin B on 18.11.2011 at 15:06

that's only because you grew up doing heavy lifting and physical exercise. It wouldn't matter if you were 52 or 100 kg in that case, you would still have good physical strength.

imo above-average physical strength is useless unless your lifestyle or work area demands it, like if you're a construction worker or athlete, or live at a farm (and not the typical "European" farm, but the "Balkanic" farm).

You mean that physical strength is useless but looking "big" is? Well thanks for honesty in any case.

if you just want to look toned/ripped to be more attractive to women or whatever, then i can clearly see the use in that. it does depends how you put it.. if you want to be a juicehead and pump your body with everything you can to get the desired body, then that's a serious (mental) health problem. but not most people are like that.

on the other hand, if you work in the services sector and don't actually need to use physical strength in your everyday life, what is the use of that? (and let's face it, it's not everyday that an earthquake strikes and you need to lift your way out of the rubble or whatever)
----
Sing me a song, you're a singer
Do me a wrong, you're a bringer of evil.
vezzy
Stallmanite

18.11.2011 at 21:32
Written by Slayer666 on 18.11.2011 at 21:02
Just trying to keep it civil. I was told I have to watch my mouth around kids, lest I give them a bad example and they turn out like me. Nobody wants that.

What's so bad about you?

You look like a fine example of a prude.

Nothing exercise can fix, unfortunately.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
JD
gangsta shit yao

18.11.2011 at 21:41
Written by Ernis on 18.11.2011 at 21:11

It's off-topic but I wanted to ask if you spoke French. You used the article LE but in an English text. Is that a new Canadian linguistic phenomenon?

No I don't. This is the real le me:

----
"Art is our only salvation from the horror of existence"
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

18.11.2011 at 21:52
Written by JD on 18.11.2011 at 21:41
No I don't. This is the real le me:

Oh dear. Viggo please don't rage because of how internet humor has gone down the toilet...

EDIT: nevermind, you already did...
----
Prettier than BloodTears.
Ernis
狼獾

18.11.2011 at 21:53
Written by JD on 18.11.2011 at 21:41

Is this supposed to make people laugh and/or be entertaining?

I still haven't grasped the phenomenon of these kinds of "fun stuff". It's like a mass psychosis that people like those.

Yes, Tory, yes the internet humour has gone down the loo and I ain't "raging"... I'm just stating the obvious fact.

Written by Valentin B on 18.11.2011 at 21:20

if you just want to look toned/ripped to be more attractive to women or whatever, then i can clearly see the use in that. it does depends how you put it.. if you want to be a juicehead and pump your body with everything you can to get the desired body, then that's a serious (mental) health problem. but not most people are like that.

on the other hand, if you work in the services sector and don't actually need to use physical strength in your everyday life, what is the use of that? (and let's face it, it's not everyday that an earthquake strikes and you need to lift your way out of the rubble or whatever)

I think there's still a difference in being naturally fit and fit after supplement consumption. It's visible. At leas I'd like to have also some physical strength behind my mass.
----
You don't mind me calling you bub, bub?
JD
gangsta shit yao

18.11.2011 at 22:16
Well, I like "le me" he makes me laugh, more than watching a full episode of Bing Bang Theory and other boring series.
----
vezzy
Stallmanite

18.11.2011 at 22:23
The whole using the word "le" phenomenon in rage comics is horrendously retarded. Yeah, rage comics are dumb as fuck, but still.

JD, your sense of humor is that of a prepubescent child.
----
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

18.11.2011 at 22:24
Lest this thread become completely derailed, may I remind you all this thread is about working out.
----
JD
gangsta shit yao

18.11.2011 at 22:38
[Off topic]

Written by vezzy on 18.11.2011 at 22:23

JD, your sense of humor is that of a prepubescent child.

I don't have since of humor, kid.
----
Thyroid

19.11.2011 at 01:21
No. Hell no. Unless what I do as a dayjob doesn't count. That contains 15-20 km walking everyday, throwing heavy loundry bags, shitbags, and tearing so much foodvans that my hands feels misplaced everyday. Not to mention dead people. I tell you, I don't really understand why relatives want to see dead corpse at hospital chapel and cry next to body and pretend that's the actual person who lies there. Old grannies are not heavy though... but I have experienced time to time 100-150 kg whales too, that shit ain't funny at all.

Oh yes, I do exercise outside work too. I ride a bicycle to work, and I have dogs that needs exercise too. Ain't nothing better that walking in the forest for hours with them.
----
My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt.
What the fuck's really goin on down there? Who is the real hero?
Ernis
狼獾

19.11.2011 at 01:30
Written by Thyroid on 19.11.2011 at 01:21

No. Hell no. Unless what I do as a dayjob doesn't count. That contains 15-20 km walking everyday, throwing heavy loundry bags, shitbags, and tearing so much foodvans that my hands feels misplaced everyday. Not to mention dead people. I tell you, I don't really understand why relatives want to see dead corpse at hospital chapel and cry next to body and pretend that's the actual person who lies there. Old grannies are not heavy though... but I have experienced time to time 100-150 kg whales too, that shit ain't funny at all.

Oh yes, I do exercise outside work too. I ride a bicycle to work, and I have dogs that needs exercise too. Ain't nothing better that walking in the forest for hours with them.

Might I ask what your job is? It sounds rather stressful but thumbs up for you doing it...
----
Thyroid

19.11.2011 at 02:29
Written by Ernis on 19.11.2011 at 01:30

Written by Thyroid on 19.11.2011 at 01:21

Might I ask what your job is? It sounds rather stressful but thumbs up for you doing it...

I work at logistics in hospital. Transportation and stuff. Actually this work ain't that bad. Salary is... well, when I was a young I sex drugs and rock n' rolled. School was not top of my intrest list. Now I kinda regret it.
----
My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt.
What the fuck's really goin on down there? Who is the real hero?
Ernis
狼獾

19.11.2011 at 02:59
Written by Thyroid on 19.11.2011 at 02:29

I work at logistics in hospital. Transportation and stuff. Actually this work ain't that bad. Salary is... well, when I was a young I sex drugs and rock n' rolled. School was not top of my intrest list. Now I kinda regret it.

It's never too late ya know...
----
ThunderAxe1989
Irreligious

19.11.2011 at 03:57
Written by vezzy on 18.11.2011 at 10:20

Written by ThunderAxe1989 on 18.11.2011 at 04:34

Anyone here ever spiked their protein shakes with horny goat weed?

Do you ever do anything besides get high on pot and drink booze?

Do you ever do anything besides be an asshole to everyone on this site? grow the fuck up.

besides, never once did I mention grass or booze in that post

Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

20.11.2011 at 06:30
Written by Valentin B on 18.11.2011 at 21:20

----
Milena
Learning To "X"

20.12.2011 at 22:16
It's just recently that I've discovered the joys of speedwalking to awesome metal. And I'd like to try working out. A couple days ago I carried some 10 kg of laundry that needed to be dried some three floors up to the roof of my building (in awful Serbia you don't have drying machines), and I thought "boy, I'd like to feel this Amazon every day!" Twas the same day when I managed to get a growl out of my system. Awesomeness.
----
"There comes a time when you look into the mirror and you realize that what you see is all that you will ever be. And then you accept it. Or you kill yourself. Or you stop looking in mirrors."
Sweetou

21.12.2011 at 06:07
Yeah, when I can. Cause I don't want to be fat.
vezzy
Stallmanite

21.12.2011 at 15:01
Posting Explosm/C+H comic instantly makes you lose the thread.
----
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

21.12.2011 at 19:59
Written by vezzy on 21.12.2011 at 15:01
Posting Explosm/C+H comic instantly makes you lose the thread.

I win threads by virtue of being better than everyone else in them.

And ya... I started up on the treadmill recently because I started putting on some chub over the course of the past few months. I went from 130 pounds to 150 in 6 months, and now my plan is to do reverse in the same amount of time.

So here's to 130lbs come June.
----
Milena
Learning To "X"

22.12.2011 at 11:00
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.12.2011 at 19:59

So here's to 130lbs come June.

When we talked about this I haven't figured it out. You're around 6 feet tall and you want to be around my current weight... you might end up pretty stick thin?
Not that there's anything wrong with it, I just thought it was impossible to achieve that weight with that height.
----
"There comes a time when you look into the mirror and you realize that what you see is all that you will ever be. And then you accept it. Or you kill yourself. Or you stop looking in mirrors."
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

22.12.2011 at 11:03
Written by Milena on 22.12.2011 at 11:00
Not that there's anything wrong with it, I just thought it was impossible to achieve that weight with that height.

I've been 5'11 since... well since I was 18 or so, and I've been less than 135 pounds my entire life (with the exception of the past few months with all the drugs and emotional eating and crap).

But ya. It's not a rare site to see me sporting a Kate Moss body type. Only with some muscle tone.

I was used as a model for an ex-girlfriend's world issues course in high school (I was the "anorexic" symbol for starving third-world nations). I'll see if I can dig up the picture.
----
Milena
Learning To "X"

22.12.2011 at 11:06
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.12.2011 at 11:03

I've been 5'11 since... well since I was 18 or so, and I've been less than 135 pounds my entire life (with the exception of the past few months with all the drugs and emotional eating and crap).

But ya. It's not a rare site to see me sporting a Kate Moss body type. Only with some muscle tone.

I was used as a model for an ex-girlfriend's world issues course in high school (I was the "anorexic" symbol for starving third-world nations). I'll see if I can dig up the picture.

That marks you as the first guy I've met that prefers being thin. You're a special snowflake.
I'll see if I can catch up with you by losing some weight by March and then some by June, as planned.
----
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

22.12.2011 at 11:14
Written by Milena on 22.12.2011 at 11:06
That marks you as the first guy I've met that prefers being thin. You're a special snowflake.

It's not so much a preference as a matter of acceptance. It seems my body doesn't grow properly when I try to gain weight. So it makes more sense for me to remain skinny.

The difference between now (150) and then (130) is that my abdominal region isn't as flat and the abs aren't as noticeable. My shoulders and neckline have also gotten bigger but my waist is still small. When I was visiting my dad I went on the Bowflex every day for about 4 weeks and you could definitely see the results immediately. Then I stopped doing that because it was strange to see my body with that much muscle and I started running on the treadmill.

It's not so much that I'm trying to lose fat (or even lose weight), it's that I'm trying to even out my body so I'm better proportioned. In my final year of high school I was probably at my best in terms of how I felt about my body. And I'm hoping with this new "diet" and regular treadmill routine that I can slim down again and reclaim my "perfect body".
----
Milena
Learning To "X"

22.12.2011 at 11:22
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.12.2011 at 11:14

It's not so much a preference as a matter of acceptance. It seems my body doesn't grow properly when I try to gain weight. So it makes more sense for me to remain skinny.

The difference between now (150) and then (130) is that my abdominal region isn't as flat and the abs aren't as noticeable. My shoulders and neckline have also gotten bigger but my waist is still small. When I was visiting my dad I went on the Bowflex every day for about 4 weeks and you could definitely see the results immediately. Then I stopped doing that because it was strange to see my body with that much muscle and I started running on the treadmill.

It's not so much that I'm trying to lose fat (or even lose weight), it's that I'm trying to even out my body so I'm better proportioned. In my final year of high school I was probably at my best in terms of how I felt about my body. And I'm hoping with this new "diet" and regular treadmill routine that I can slim down again and reclaim my "perfect body".

That's pretty strange hope I won't have to deal with acceptance issues as I grow thinner, last time I've been thin was when I was a child so I have no idea whether I'll be as proportional as I am now or not.

How do you guys manage to get results that fast? When my brother notices he's grown a bit of chub, since he doesn't go to the gym anymore, he does a few series of abs and after a couple of days that little belly he had completely vanishes, without a diet or anything O.o I once did abs for a month to no avail... walking is my number one exercise, and also working my arms, because I love women with defined arms.

So yeah, good luck to both of us lol.
----
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

22.12.2011 at 11:27
Written by Milena on 22.12.2011 at 11:22
How do you guys manage to get results that fast?

Well when you're under 30 it's a lot easier since the average man's metabolism is a lot higher.

And I have a theory that we might workout with more intensity... no sexism or offense intended. It's just, when I see girls working out at the gym, not many of them are taking teh workout seriously. Some of them are worried about how they look, others are focused on light lifting to tone (which takes a long time to see results), and overall the intensity level is almost a 0.

When I go on the treadmill I pretty much jack it up to the point I'm sweating within the first 2 minutes. And I continue that pace for an hour. When I'm working out my goal is to take from the workout the most I can, and that means I have to give the most I can. If you're only going to do a half-assed job you're going to get half-assed results.

Not saying you aren't applying yourself: again, it's just a theory.

I don't do "a few sets of crunches". I do a fuck-ton of crunches in a short period of time with the intensity boost cranked to 11.
----
Milena
Learning To "X"

22.12.2011 at 11:32
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.12.2011 at 11:27

Well when you're under 30 it's a lot easier since the average man's metabolism is a lot higher.

And I have a theory that we might workout with more intensity... no sexism or offense intended. It's just, when I see girls working out at the gym, not many of them are taking teh workout seriously. Some of them are worried about how they look, others are focused on light lifting to tone (which takes a long time to see results), and overall the intensity level is almost a 0.

When I go on the treadmill I pretty much jack it up to the point I'm sweating within the first 2 minutes. And I continue that pace for an hour. When I'm working out my goal is to take from the workout the most I can, and that means I have to give the most I can. If you're only going to do a half-assed job you're going to get half-assed results.

Not saying you aren't applying yourself: again, it's just a theory.

I don't do "a few sets of crunches". I do a fuck-ton of crunches in a short period of time with the intensity boost cranked to 11.

That's pretty plausible. But you guys have much faster metabolisms anyway. If I ate as much as my brother or boyfriend, I'd be a whale. And they pull it off without even exercising (brother exercises like once a week, and le bf never did).

But yeah, as I'm learning to eat moderately and grow a bit thinner every year, they'll eat like pigs and start growing fat after mid-twenties. What goes around, comes around
----
ANGEL REAPER

22.12.2011 at 12:27
I grew up on farm...heavy lifting and stamina/endurance demanding job by definition since the youngest days i remember ..so i dont work out in gym cause i dont need it ... apart from that since i moved to city because my studies i manged to stay in shape by still vast physical activity ...still no gym...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
BestMetalstormer

22.12.2011 at 15:35
Yay, how many times you guys can push up to ? mine only 60, highest record, but after one accident now I can do only 30 more or less. I been in America one, damn almost of them at from 20 or 21 years old and up, they can do from 100 times to up more...
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

22.12.2011 at 20:34
Written by BestMetalstormer on 22.12.2011 at 15:35
Yay, how many times you guys can push up to ?

My record is 101, but I probably do around 75 now since I haven't really been focusing on that recently.
----
BloodTears
Stella Artois

22.12.2011 at 20:42
Recently went back to Karate. I had done it five years when I was younger and then left because of college. Now I needed to be active again, felt like my body was needing that and also I missed it a lot. I've been doing it again for two months now and it's great. I just felt healthier in general too.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21

Login or register to post here.