Metal Storm logo
Do you work out, and why?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 01.07.2007 - 16:59
well, i was just curious, with all the metal imagery consisting of so many "musclebands"(manowar, venom, hammerfall etc) who try to look so tough and "heavy", and having muscly band members is a must.

i do, for health and looking good.

Poll

Why do you work out, if you do?

both of the above
don't work out
for health
to look good

Total votes: 228
22.12.2011 - 20:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by BloodTears on 22.12.2011 at 20:42
Recently went back to Karate.

Jealous. When I was younger I was in karate and I loved it.

And at the time the guy my mom was dating was in jiu-jitsu. He used to teach me some pretty fun defense tactics.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.12.2011 - 21:01
vezzy
Stallmanite
Martial arts is bullshit, for the most part. At least most instructors are just woomeisters. Not to mention most people completely miss the fucking point and think that if some guy has a shiny-looking belt, he's some unstoppable ass kicker. As far as I remember, the black belt isn't even the highest one and doesn't mean that much.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
22.12.2011 - 21:22
Slayer666

Written by vezzy on 22.12.2011 at 21:01

Martial arts is bullshit, for the most part. At least most instructors are just woomeisters. Not to mention most people completely miss the fucking point and think that if some guy has a shiny-looking belt, he's some unstoppable ass kicker. As far as I remember, the black belt isn't even the highest one and doesn't mean that much.

Depends on which Martial art it is, really, as well as the person himself. I can guarantee you with 110% certainty that you wouldn't want to fuck with some dudes I know who have a black belt in Aikido. Then again, I trained Tae-Kwon-Do for 5 years, almost got my black belt, and don't really see myself as an ass kicker.

Tae-know-do and Karate are more of a sport nowadays than an actual martial art, hence their limited usefulness in an actual fight.
22.12.2011 - 21:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by vezzy on 22.12.2011 at 21:01
Martial arts is bullshit, for the most part.

I dunno. I used to get in a lot of scraps and I can definitely say I was always relaxed during a fight thanks to my martial arts training, which was anything but extensive.

I can only imagine how much decades of that kind of training can truly help. I mean, the MMA guys who know all this Brazilian jui-jitsu and shit and then they run around in a ring for 15 minutes and take wild swings like they're in a drunken bar brawl, they give martial arts a bad name.

The Shaolin monks who can take 30 successive full-strength kicks to the nuts without even moving a step back... those are the guys that prove martial arts have their advantages.

Also: dim mak.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.12.2011 - 21:29
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Slayer666 on 22.12.2011 at 21:22
Depends on which Martial art it is, really, as well as the person himself. I can guarantee you with 110% certainty that you wouldn't want to fuck with some dudes I know who have a black belt in Aikido. Then again, I trained Tae-Kwon-Do for 5 years, almost got my black belt, and don't really see myself as an ass kicker.

Tae-know-do and Karate are more of a sport nowadays than an actual martial art, hence their limited usefulness in an actual fight.

The almighty human factor always plays a pivotal role, I agree. Then again, a lot of people are already relatively skilled at self-defense and just enhance it through martial arts (a very good excuse too, beats the hell out of street brawling).

Yeah, they've been watered down and "commercialized" (fast food-ified, if you get the point). Bullshido has some pretty nice articles on stuff like this.

EDIT: @Troy: You're right about the monks, but those are people who spend their entire lives training to fully control and cleanse their minds. You have to make a lot of sacrifices and generally heed a lifestyle that 90% of the population would say "no way in hell" to. As for dim mak, the concept is heavily fictionalized and exaggerated.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
22.12.2011 - 21:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by vezzy on 22.12.2011 at 21:29

Written by Slayer666 on 22.12.2011 at 21:22

Just so we don't stray too far off topic: http://metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=1931
----
22.12.2011 - 21:52
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.12.2011 at 20:50

Written by BloodTears on 22.12.2011 at 20:42
Recently went back to Karate.

Jealous. When I was younger I was in karate and I loved it.

And at the time the guy my mom was dating was in jiu-jitsu. He used to teach me some pretty fun defense tactics.

Why don't you go back?

I just missed it so much. We're gonna have some self-defense classes too. For me it's also a mental state, I clear my head of everything and just relax. Also, karate is mostly a solitary martial art, so a lot of it takes place inside your head. I did take a punch last week and that wasn't fun lol but oh well, should've defended it!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
22.12.2011 - 21:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by BloodTears on 22.12.2011 at 21:52
Why don't you go back?

When I get back on my feet and move out on my own again I'll probably take it up. I remember feeling physically and mentally better when doing it because it was like... semi-intense exercise but it provided a lot of mental benefits.
----
12.08.2012 - 23:18
FOOCK Nam

Written by Thyroid on 19.11.2011 at 02:29

I work at logistics in hospital. Transportation and stuff. Actually this work ain't that bad. Salary is... well, when I was a young I sex drugs and rock n' rolled. School was not top of my intrest list. Now I kinda regret it.

Feeling embarrassed because of your job related to hospital and as you described ? Finland is very modern country well,... Even I wish to be janitor in some foreign place.

About workout, it seems easy for me. I seems have a lot of energy to throw in the pain muscle exercises. I'm short but not weak, people are impressed by me when I'm in gym. Though only problem is I get bored so easy when exercise. I cant do same workout exercises practice everyday even I do it well. I have tried to vary the rep with different types but still find it too repetitive and monotonous.
12.08.2012 - 23:43
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I've got 6 more entries to my gym until I leave for my big vacation on August 22nd.. gonna have to finish them all in this time and try not to burn out anyway I've been doing some abs exercises almost every time I go there regardless of what muscle group I'm training, and now I can see the benefit as they're in great shape.
13.08.2012 - 00:00
FOOCK Nam

Written by Valentin B on 12.08.2012 at 23:43

I've got 6 more entries to my gym until I leave for my big vacation on August 22nd.. gonna have to finish them all in this time and try not to burn out anyway I've been doing some abs exercises almost every time I go there regardless of what muscle group I'm training, and now I can see the benefit as they're in great shape.

Cool abs prepared for women dating fare . I never do abs workout. I dont cae about belly abs. Quite dont understand why women prefer man tight abs. I dont care about female abs, I dont care though, more favor of breast and buttock size,...
13.08.2012 - 00:37
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by FOOCK Nam on 13.08.2012 at 00:00

Written by Valentin B on 12.08.2012 at 23:43

Cool abs prepared for women dating fare . I never do abs workout. I dont cae about belly abs. Quite dont understand why women prefer man tight abs. I dont care about female abs, I dont care though, more favor of breast and buttock size,...

I love seeing a girl with abs, because that's in my opinion the best sign of physical fitness. I mean anyone can have big arms, big pecs or a wide back, but for abs you actually have to both cut down on fat (or be skinny from the beginning) and also make an effort to work the muscle out.
13.08.2012 - 00:47
FOOCK Nam

Written by Valentin B on 13.08.2012 at 00:37

I love seeing a girl with abs, because that's in my opinion the best sign of physical fitness. I mean anyone can have big arms, big pecs or a wide back, but for abs you actually have to both cut down on fat (or be skinny from the beginning) and also make an effort to work the muscle out.

Could it be harded if considering abs workout ? I have only vague abs, though I dont focus on abs but have a very hard and thick belly after long time of workout... almost everywhere I see it is about abs when regarding workout.
13.08.2012 - 05:31
oblong
Account deleted
I lift.

For strength & power.
13.08.2012 - 06:56
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I workout constantly, I do it for Racing, I'm moving getting bumped to A next year which is one step under Pro, so I need to stay in shape for that, also girls love an 8-pack

When I workout I feel less tired throughout the day and sleep better at night aswell, these are huge benefits to me.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.08.2012 - 09:18
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I do swimming for 2.5 hrs daily to stay fit. Being a national swimmer of India( represented 6 years back) at International level in China, i always stick to my basic regime i.e. my swimming exercises. I keep practicing my main stroke( Back Stroke that is) and keep updated myself. I suppose that's more than enough to be fit( and ofcourse, stay healthy).
13.08.2012 - 19:08
FOOCK Nam

Written by Boxcar Willy on 13.08.2012 at 06:56

I workout constantly, I do it for Racing, I'm moving getting bumped to A next year which is one step under Pro, so I need to stay in shape for that, also girls love an 8-pack

When I workout I feel less tired throughout the day and sleep better at night aswell, these are huge benefits to me.

You workout at 15... do you do with dumbell or weights ? cuz I heard they say doing workout too early (not sure exact age) can shorten your height growth...
13.08.2012 - 19:16
FOOCK Nam

Written by Guest on 13.08.2012 at 05:31

I lift.

For strength & power.

Cool how max of pounds is your limit ?

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 13.08.2012 at 09:18

I do swimming for 2.5 hrs daily to stay fit. Being a national swimmer of India( represented 6 years back) at International level in China, i always stick to my basic regime i.e. my swimming exercises. I keep practicing my main stroke( Back Stroke that is) and keep updated myself. I suppose that's more than enough to be fit( and ofcourse, stay healthy).

Swimming is really great fitness, I used to do it when in teenage, seeing Michael Phelps frame,.... Swimming makes you taller if staying in continuous- growth age...
13.08.2012 - 20:01
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by FOOCK Nam on 13.08.2012 at 19:08

You workout at 15... do you do with dumbell or weights ? cuz I heard they say doing workout too early (not sure exact age) can shorten your height growth...

it can if you lift heavy weights over your head, which I generally don't do. but I'm almost 6'1" so growth isn't a major concern.

I do a lot of core and leg workouts, and then riding a lot does upper body and shoulders.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.08.2012 - 20:27
FOOCK Nam

Written by Boxcar Willy on 13.08.2012 at 20:01

it can if you lift heavy weights over your head, which I generally don't do. but I'm almost 6'1" so growth isn't a major concern.

I do a lot of core and leg workouts, and then riding a lot does upper body and shoulders.

6'1'' at 15... I love Canada XD. are there a lot of people around your age do riding overthere ?
13.08.2012 - 20:37
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by FOOCK Nam on 13.08.2012 at 20:27

6'1'' at 15... I love Canada XD. are there a lot of people around your age do riding overthere ?

A few, I'm the only serious rider though.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
14.08.2012 - 07:13
oblong
Account deleted
Written by FOOCK Nam on 13.08.2012 at 19:16

Written by Guest on 13.08.2012 at 05:31

I lift.

For strength & power.

Cool how max of pounds is your limit ?

Not sure what you mean, sorry ?
14.08.2012 - 07:32
Guib
Thrash Talker
I don't work out... at all

I don't see the point.. Ask me if I wanna play a hockey game, basket ball game or soccer game.. hell yeah that is fun
but working out ?? Nah I simply don't like it, its boring as fuck

Though, I did some martial arts when I was younger, that I would still do... gives you some discipline which I lacked alot back then
I was an hyperactive fighting little asshole. Calmed me down alot.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.08.2012 - 07:37
oblong
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 14.08.2012 at 07:32

I don't see the point.. Ask me if I wanna play a hockey game, basket ball game or soccer game.. hell yeah that is fun

Though, I did some martial arts when I was younger, that I would still do... gives you some discipline which I lacked alot back then

I personally can't stand the term 'working out'
14.08.2012 - 07:39
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 14.08.2012 at 07:37

whatever as long as you understood what it meant...
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.08.2012 - 07:43
oblong
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 14.08.2012 at 07:39

Written by Guest on 14.08.2012 at 07:37

whatever as long as you understood what it meant...

14.08.2012 - 23:10
Valentin B
Iconoclast

when riding a motorbike on let's say flat ground (not dirt tracks or whatever), what are the muscle groups you have to use most?
15.08.2012 - 00:09
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Valentin B on 14.08.2012 at 23:10

when riding a motorbike on let's say flat ground (not dirt tracks or whatever), what are the muscle groups you have to use most?

Core, Shoulders and Legs mostly, although it really works everything depending on how fast you're riding. I ride Moto, enduro, and pretty much everything inbetween, and it works everything
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.08.2012 - 00:26
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.08.2012 at 00:09

Core, Shoulders and Legs mostly, although it really works everything depending on how fast you're riding. I ride Moto, enduro, and pretty much everything inbetween, and it works everything

I'm going to the gym and to motor classes in parallel so I wanted to know what muscle groups to go easy on at the gym, thanks for this info.
17.08.2012 - 00:20
Ernis
狼獾

Growth being halted isn't the only concern. Stretch scars may also develop if the muscles develop faster than normal and you'll end up having scars (like stripes) at places where the muscle rips through skin that doesn't catch up. My bro's got some because of extensive track-and-field training during his teens even though he never really started hitting the gym until the age of 17. An acquaintance of his (classmate I guess) started heavy workout in his early teens and became a monster rather fast. When he started doing his army service he didn't last long because after couple of months his legs failed and the medics discovered that the bones of his legs were filled with tiny fractures. His muscles had developed too fast for his bones to bear the weight and pressure. That's why one should start training with heavy weight at the age of 17-18 when the entire body has finished growing.

Speaking of working out... I missed my session today because of work schedule (which can be a bitch when combined with gym and meal schedule). A positive thing seems to be that I'm starting to regain my mesomorph shape again after a difficult period when I lost five kilograms... I never was underweight but I'm happy to see some extra pounds returning because my ideal would be to weigh 80 kilograms at my height of 5'11''...