Metal Storm logo
Do you work out, and why?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 01.07.2007 - 16:59
well, i was just curious, with all the metal imagery consisting of so many "musclebands"(manowar, venom, hammerfall etc) who try to look so tough and "heavy", and having muscly band members is a must.

i do, for health and looking good.

Poll

Why do you work out, if you do?

both of the above
don't work out
for health
to look good

Total votes: 228
03.07.2007 - 12:56
jizzlord
like a fox
i go to the gym a few times a week but it's purely to get fit, i'll eventually get to a level of fitness where i can start really building muscle, but now i want to lose my college fat
----

03.07.2007 - 16:11
Infurnace

I do work out, every week, and I do it to look good, and for health. I want to look good, especially for my girlfriend , and it's just fun to do. I like working out.
04.07.2007 - 02:32
Suicide Bug
Account deleted
Written by -tom- on 01.07.2007 at 23:57

Why? Predominantly because I want women to want to touch me. Face it, if you can't be honest then something's probably wrong but it amazes me how many people I know are clearly vain but insist they do it purely for health reasons.

Haha, that's right buddy. I train strenght (weight lifting and body weight execrises) 3 times a week, and cardiovascular/resistance training twice a week (running, rope skipping, etc). I first started 3-4 years ago, (I didnt work out half as much back then, I started quite slow and gradually increased the workload) for two reasons: first, I had always been the shy, frail type in the past and kinda longed for the confidence boost, second, as you said, I wanted to look good for the ladies. I couldn't give a shit about health back then to be honest (it's not like I had any health problems after all).

People who tell you that they lift weights purely for health reasons are almost certainly filthy, shameful little liars lol. As a matter of fact, with the exception of some rehab programs and exercise of atrophised muscles and similar stuff (which dont require particularily heavy weights or intensity anyway) lifting weights isn't necessarily that good for your health. You can actually hurt yourself by lifting improperly. I guess most people are mixing up strenght and health (which, tho often synergical, are separate things).
This guys probably wanna look good without appearing "shallow", since the stereothype dictates that if you lift, you must be a superficial, poor little person whose only goal in life is to fill your empty self with steroid-pumped fibres. Well, I lift regularily and I actually consider myself a sensitive, imaginative and broad-minded human being. I actually think that setting out a realistic goal for yourself and sticking to it is a good test of will, as you constantly have to overcome your physical lazyness (especially at first) to pursue your vision. Mind over matter, ironically enought. We all wanna be attractive, but many dont posess the drive to get there, and therefore bitterly dismiss it ("those guys have tits".... yea fox and grapes anyone?).

Personally I have a naturally lean shape and fast metabolism so I have a somewhat hard time putting up weight of any kind, which can be a double edged sword. I pratically cant get fat and I have excellent natural cardiovascular conditioning, but when it comes to raw strenght and muscular size my genetics kinda catch up with me. However, the regular, intense training definately paid off, and I can proudly stare at the mirror . And laught at the pathetic efforts my friends make at closing my ironmind grippers

Anyway good luck with your goals Tommy, dont let temporary lack of results discourage you (almost always happens at some point or another) and keep it up! Remember, its all about motivation. I'm not really an expert (I'm self taught. I've never stepped into a gym, I do all my training at home with a multifunction bench), but I know the basics and could give you some pointers in case (stuff you can prolly find on the net but ya know). Feel free to PM.
05.07.2007 - 10:58
Torture Killer
Account deleted
I like to work out a lot not eactlly to get fit or to get healthy but just to let some agression and to see how far I can push myself, and I listen to music that pumps me up everyday and I can't just let that out by beating off everynight.
05.07.2007 - 11:16
Erosive Offals
Account deleted
I hear that, torture killer. I work out cause these muscles might get me out of a life and death situation one day. I sound angry when I work out, I usually put on a really pump up old school metal album (Final Holocaust by Massacra?), i wonder what the people outside my room think i'm doing, oh my!
05.07.2007 - 12:37
Sunioj

Written by Guest on 05.07.2007 at 11:16

I hear that, torture killer. I work out cause these muscles might get me out of a life and death situation one day. I sound angry when I work out, I usually put on a really pump up old school metal album (Final Holocaust by Massacra?), i wonder what the people outside my room think i'm doing, oh my!

Haha, well I used to work in a Arabic gym ( thats right, no girls ) and the music they used to play were sad arabic songs, techno, and britney spears. I think that this music put everyone at the gym in emotional pain rather than motivate them
05.07.2007 - 14:07
Dark Stalker

I work out to survive ,My health is so bad , that i have a rather simple choice :to be strong or to be dead .
----
In luck we trust!
05.07.2007 - 14:10
Suicide Bug
Account deleted

I work out cause these muscles might get me out of a life and death situation one day.

Not only is that false, its also a very dangerous line of thought. Lifting weights DOESNT teach you how to defend yourself, especially in a life threatening situation (in fact, pretty much nothing will). Actually, feeling all strong and badass can easily lure you into a false sense of security which is likely to get you in trouble. It doesnt matter how many hours/years/eons you spent pumping iron in the gym or practicing your ultimate badass ninja martial art in a safe, controlled environment, you are still gonna be scared shitless the day a malevolent, determined attacker is gonna pull out a knife at you.

By all means lift weights, practice your martial arts, but remember: the best self-defense is common sense.
05.07.2007 - 14:58
Hyvaarin

But what if he was being chased by a murderer and the only path of escape was being blocked by some heavy rocks or something? Or if a fridge fell on him and he had to lift it off his chest or DIE? He'd be glad he'd worked out then .
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
05.07.2007 - 15:12
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Hyvaarin on 05.07.2007 at 14:58

But what if he was being chased by a murderer and the only path of escape was being blocked by some heavy rocks or something? Or if a fridge fell on him and he had to lift it off his chest or DIE? He'd be glad he'd worked out then .

i agree. @suicide bug: of course who will be first to get attacked, a skinny frail guy or a bulky muscly guy? it also helps to prevent it, though obviously the good effect is annihilated by the false security sense
05.07.2007 - 16:12
Suicide Bug
Account deleted
Written by Hyvaarin on 05.07.2007 at 14:58

In that case yes, physical strenght might give him a slight advantage, but not so much if the agressor was armed, or, if there were multiple agressors. The whole point is try to avoid getting in the back-to the-wall situation in the first place, and, as I mentioned, a false sense of security is often the quickest way to get just there. The risks of it truly surpass the advantages some physical strenght might give you in that respect.

Of course having worked out is very useful in case a fridge falls on your chest and you have to lift it off, but somehow I don't think that's what he thought of when he spoke of "life or death situations"

@Damnated: an imposing physical presence might keep the school bully away, but again it will hardly deter a dangerous agressor (or far worse, band of aggressors) with the will to kill.

As I said I am not suggesting you shouldn't go to the gym or practice martial arts or whatever, in fact I work out regularly and own a black belt in karate, but I work out to look good and stay in shape and practice sports cause its fun. If your physical strenght is gonna help you out of a dangerous situation someday all the better, but don't count on it.
05.07.2007 - 16:36
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 05.07.2007 at 16:12

@Damnated: an imposing physical presence might keep the school bully away, but again it will hardly deter a dangerous agressor (or far worse, band of aggressors) with the will to kill.

gotta agree on this one, even more so, a bulky appearance could even make the aggressor more determined, thinking he has something to hide behind those big muscles.. oh and btw it's cursed
05.07.2007 - 17:24
Sunioj

I dont really agree...I grew up in a bad school and even worse neighborhood, the reason why I worked out is so I can make a stand and have everyone stop fucking with me. I worked out, made a stand, and I would not have had that motivation had I not worked out, period, and the same applies for one of my friends who became a appraised jujitsu student and won third in Israel and why did he study jujitsu? Because people were picking on him and school, and now no one dares fight him.
05.07.2007 - 17:49
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Guest on 05.07.2007 at 10:58

I like to work out a lot not eactlly to get fit or to get healthy but just to let some agression and to see how far I can push myself, and I listen to music that pumps me up everyday and I can't just let that out by beating off everynight.

Who or what are you beating every night?

You own a gym with all kinds of machines and weights in your chamber?

Written by Sunioj on 05.07.2007 at 12:37

Haha, well I used to work in a Arabic gym ( thats right, no girls ) and the music they used to play were sad arabic songs, techno, and britney spears. I think that this music put everyone at the gym in emotional pain rather than motivate them

I'm so glad there isn't any arabic sport facilities here....there were girls...sometimes pretty girls...but sometimes I went to the hall and discovered there were only me and two or three 50-60 year-old plump ladies getting rid of their beer bellies....sexy
About the musical environment...it was usually pop, disco, mixes....all in all...horrid...but I ignored it...and you can't imagine how glad I was when they played Nightwish(sic!) or Lordi....but this occurred seldom...
05.07.2007 - 18:00
Warman
Erotic Stains
I do workout to look good and to be healthy. I've had a nice six-pack since I was 13 which I'm very proud of.
----
05.07.2007 - 18:08
Sunioj

@frodo of steel
Yeah and the bad thing was is that everyone also smoked in the facility too, which is so redundant to working out. No real trainers either, just people maxing out and telling other people what and how to work out. But it was only about a few bucks a week to work out though...cheap!
05.07.2007 - 18:50
Suicide Bug
Account deleted
Written by Sunioj on 05.07.2007 at 17:24

I dont really agree...I grew up in a bad school and even worse neighborhood, the reason why I worked out is so I can make a stand and have everyone stop fucking with me. I worked out, made a stand, and I would not have had that motivation had I not worked out, period, and the same applies for one of my friends who became a appraised jujitsu student and won third in Israel and why did he study jujitsu? Because people were picking on him and school, and now no one dares fight him.

I don't know if that was referred to me, but how often did working out save your life? As I said I'm not talking about your average school bullies. And if you really grew up in a bad neighboorhood, populated by violent street gangs and the like, did you keep them at bay with your manly physique and bench press power?
Once again, I'm not denying the advantage physical strenght can give in case a confrontation is inevitable, but rather pointing out that a tought-ass invincible attitude is likely gonna get you in trouble, if there really are risks. It doesnt matter if your friend is world champion in every single fighting discipline on earth, that still wont help when he meets a gun-carrying sicko in a dark alley. Or a gang of baseball-bat wielding thugs.

If you want an example of what I mean, just google "Alex Gong". Alex was a junior US muay thai champion, that is to say, one serious ass kicker. One day a jeep crashed into his parked car and drove away. Being the oh-so-tought motherfucker he was, he chased the guy on foot to confront him, all the way into a parking lot. The driver of the jeep got out of his car and, as Alex was approaching him, pulled out a gun shot him in the chest, killing him. That is what I call false sense of security.
05.07.2007 - 19:07
Sunioj

Written by Guest on 05.07.2007 at 18:50

Written by Sunioj on 05.07.2007 at 17:24

I don't know if that was referred to me, but how often did working out save your life? As I said I'm not talking about your average school bullies. And if you really grew up in a bad neighboorhood, populated by violent street gangs and the like, did you keep them at bay with your manly physique and bench press power?
Once again, I'm not denying the advantage physical strenght can give in case a confrontation is inevitable, but rather pointing out that a tought-ass invincible attitude is likely gonna get you in trouble, if there really are risks. It doesnt matter if your friend is world champion in every single fighting discipline on earth, that still wont help when he meets a gun-carrying sicko in a dark alley. Or a gang of baseball-bat wielding thugs.

If you want an example of what I mean, just google "Alex Gong". Alex was a junior US muay thai champion, that is to say, one serious ass kicker. One day a jeep crashed into his parked car and drove away. Being the oh-so-tought motherfucker he was, he chased the guy on foot to confront him, all the way into a parking lot. The driver of the jeep got out of his car and, as Alex was approaching him, pulled out a gun shot him in the chest, killing him. That is what I call false sense of security.

I sorta misrid your post, excuse me for that...I thought you were saying its useless to work out because bullies dont care if your built. But I can still give a comment on gangs etc. Not that if they come up to you and wanna kick your ass, having a built body is going to help, your better off running away...I have used my strength gathered from working out to fend off neighborhood assholes to the point were they respected me.And I give that kudos to the spirit I used while workingout.

Thing is though, most of the experienced gangbangers wouldnt waste their time with me, they would see me being shit on by their groupies and once I turned the tables, then the big guys ( as I would call them ) would fuck up anyone that would try mess with me. Thats how it worked in my neighborhood.
06.07.2007 - 00:03
Ernis
狼獾
Well....I sort of agree that actually simple bench press power doesn't play a large role in defending oneself....I may be able to lift flour bags and do some slow physical work but if I met a skinny, fragile guy who's agile and fast(I repeat...agility, speed, skill) and skilled in "defending" oneself, he can beat my flesh and break my neck very easily since skill, speed and agility matter....strength is an advantage....but if you're slow and clumsy like an elephant, then it won't help at all....and speaking of multiple attackers....he he....hopeless....
06.07.2007 - 01:18
Suicide Bug
Account deleted
You don't get my point. I'm not disserting about the usefulness of bench press (which, by the way, is an excellent campound exercise). I am pointing out that no degree of athletic/techical preparation is gonna guarantee your safety in a seriously violent situation. Not by a far shot.
06.07.2007 - 02:09
Ernis
狼獾
I did get your point...in my previous post I just wanted to point this particular thing out as well...
06.07.2007 - 12:16
Suicide Bug
Account deleted
humm... okay, sorry for that. Your physical dynamics sound like they're straight out of dungeons and dragons but oh well...
06.07.2007 - 17:25
Abattoir

I work out, but not so regurarly, because i already look good ...I would say every week twice...Also it's good for body and health of course...
06.07.2007 - 21:34
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Judas on 03.07.2007 at 11:43

I'm a bit like cursed, in that I can eat whatever the hell I want and in ridiculous quantities without gaining any weight. I don't really work out at all, though I go for a 2km run 3 times a week. I'd best start going to the gym a little though, or at least do some sit-ups, otherwise I'm liable to develop a pot-belly the way my drinking habits are going! I was really motivated to go to the gym after seeing '300', but that kinda fizzled. It's strange, considering I played lots of sport while at school, and last year I did sports coaching and outdoorsy stuff. Guess I'll start again eventually, playing basketball for a club or something...

As a head's up, that will end at about 25. I was the same way... eat fast food hamburgers everyday, drink every night and still looked good. (was always scrawny, but had a washboard stomach)... at 25, it changed.

Now i'm doing push-ups, sit-ups, orbitrek (some work out device that is a cross between running and cycling) and jogging to get into better shape. I play some Roller Hockey from time to time which is a great work out. 3 hours every other Friday night leaves me feeling both mighty sore and mighty good.

25% for vanity. mostly because I want to drop back down to a good weight and fit better into some older clothes. I snared my wife with my personality and humor, not my physique. Any woman who would or wouldn't date you based upon how you look isn't worth dating.

75% for health reasons. At 190 now. Getting down to 180 or 175 would be a good thing for my mid-30's body.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.07.2007 - 05:04
Judas
The Amputator
Written by BitterCOld on 06.07.2007 at 21:34

I'm a bit like cursed, in that I can eat whatever the hell I want and in ridiculous quantities without gaining any weight. I don't really work out at all, though I go for a 2km run 3 times a week. I'd best start going to the gym a little though, or at least do some sit-ups, otherwise I'm liable to develop a pot-belly the way my drinking habits are going! I was really motivated to go to the gym after seeing '300', but that kinda fizzled. It's strange, considering I played lots of sport while at school, and last year I did sports coaching and outdoorsy stuff. Guess I'll start again eventually, playing basketball for a club or something...

As a head's up, that will end at about 25. I was the same way... eat fast food hamburgers everyday, drink every night and still looked good. (was always scrawny, but had a washboard stomach)... at 25, it changed.

Now i'm doing push-ups, sit-ups, orbitrek (some work out device that is a cross between running and cycling) and jogging to get into better shape. I play some Roller Hockey from time to time which is a great work out. 3 hours every other Friday night leaves me feeling both mighty sore and mighty good.

25% for vanity. mostly because I want to drop back down to a good weight and fit better into some older clothes. I snared my wife with my personality and humor, not my physique. Any woman who would or wouldn't date you based upon how you look isn't worth dating.

75% for health reasons. At 190 now. Getting down to 180 or 175 would be a good thing for my mid-30's body.

Whoa, thanks for that info, guess I'd better start getting a little less frivolous with all this stuff. My dad keeps telling me that if I continue disregarding the well-being of my physical self, then I'll be screwed in the long run, so, as a sort of mid-year resolution (well, it is the 7/7/07, so that's an occasion I guess!) I'll probably start working out properly rather than just running.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
07.07.2007 - 21:56
Aylee_Bodom
¬¬
Hmm, last year in July I started going to the gym, but I quit a month later because I used to go with a friend and she didn't want to go anymore, and I didn't want to go alone. Now I've come to the idea that that's stupid, so right yesterday I started going again =D
Results: I'm stiff all over and it's so painful when I sit down or stand up.

Anyway, I know it's good for my health and shape, so I'm quite motivated. Last year, with only one month I got very good results. This time I'll stay longer though hehehe. And also, I like being active, you know, instead of being sitting in front of the comp the whole day
----
*All Blood Runs The Same*
08.07.2007 - 06:14
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Well, last year I used to go to gym like 4 times a week, but after 3 months I quit, and never came back, such a shame... now I don't know with university, I'll see if I can go at least twice a week, not only to look and feel good but because working out helps to relax and is good for the mind, as a student it's really important
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
08.07.2007 - 07:08
Puff
The Forlorn
I work out because my Judo coach wants me too. I like working out tho. it makes you feel and look better.
----
09.07.2007 - 20:57
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by BitterCOld on 06.07.2007 at 21:34

that's good to hear, but on the other hand, i've only got 8 years of frantic fast food feed fest i don't even eat that much fast food, but i'd hate giving up any of the stuff i love to eat
09.07.2007 - 21:10
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
you don't have to give it up - just eat it in moderation and engage in some form of exercise to counter it.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!