Metal Storm logo
Do you work out, and why?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 01.07.2007 - 16:59
well, i was just curious, with all the metal imagery consisting of so many "musclebands"(manowar, venom, hammerfall etc) who try to look so tough and "heavy", and having muscly band members is a must.

i do, for health and looking good.

Poll

Why do you work out, if you do?

both of the above
don't work out
for health
to look good

Total votes: 228
25.02.2008 - 16:12
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
I just got into running a few months ago, at first I just did half an hour a week, but now I do a half hour run, some fartlek and circuit training every week, and then a long run at the end of the week. I havn't lost any weight but I look stronger and it must be doing me good. It's good for your self esteem too.
25.02.2008 - 16:23
Warman
Erotic Stains
I build muscles so easy it's ridiculous. My dad even asked me a couple of weeks ago if I took anabolic steroids. When he was young he was a bodybuilder, even won gold in some kind of Swedish Championship. So I guess I've inherit his good genes. And finally, my six-pack on the stomach is evolving to an eight-pack!
----
26.02.2008 - 00:47
ß
Problem?
I usually just work out at school. Usually bench press some weights,curls lots of free weight stuff and do lots of leg presses I gain muscle pretty easy too.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
27.02.2008 - 18:25
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
Actually NO, coz I'm already too damn sexy
no really its coz I dont have that much fat in my body (which means figure is not a problem for me) and I don't suffer from any disease that is caused from not working out so this is y I prefer not to work out.

but still I'm tooooooo sexy to work out....
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
27.02.2008 - 20:35
Torelli

If you mean gym, absolutly no. I avoid it like a plague. However, I do sport. My main sport is cross country running( preferly over 15 km), secondary sport is swimming(3km or 2km + water exerice, when practice). Other sports I enjoy are basket, football, badminton,softball, brännboll(sport in Sweden) skiing(cross-country)handball, volleyball and so on. But I can't stand gym, if I most lift weights, I rather do it alone.

I do it for three reasons:

*To look good
*Be healthy
*I enjoy it and it calms my nerves (I guess this can be linked to health)
27.02.2008 - 20:51
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Torelli on 27.02.2008 at 20:35

It actually has to do with health When you work out teh body liberates endorfines, some kinda hormonmes that make you feel happy.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
27.02.2008 - 21:14
Torelli

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 27.02.2008 at 20:51

It actually has to do with health When you work out teh body liberates endorfines, some kinda hormonmes that make you feel happy.

I know. That is why I said it could be linked with health. Anyway, it's a great stress reliver regardless. I actuallly skip drugs and alcohol beacuse I do sports. Can be a boring life for some, for me, it suits just perfect.
27.02.2008 - 21:35
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Torelli on 27.02.2008 at 21:14

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 27.02.2008 at 20:51

I know. That is why I said it could be linked with health. Anyway, it's a great stress reliver regardless. I actuallly skip drugs and alcohol beacuse I do sports. Can be a boring life for some, for me, it suits just perfect.

That's two of us then. i don't do drugs and almost never drink alcohol. That's the reason for my signature Some friends tell em I'm an old guy, but for em I'm just keeping a healkthy lifestyle. Besides I have to work out due to my artrosis...
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

27.02.2008 - 23:53
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
I used to work out everyday because of how good it felt when I was done to come home and eat a big protein meal. I'm a pretty skinny guy so working out was partially vanity influenced, I was also taking those protein and creatine supplements. Over summer break when the school gym was closed I got back into playing guitar more, so I started to focus less on arm curls and more on finger taps . I haven't been back to the gym in almost a year and all the work I put in and muscle mass I gained has disappeared so it truly was in vain...
27.03.2008 - 11:13
owl

I don't work out, although I know perfectly well that I should, for matters of health (not for the good looks, I don't care much about those, eheh).

There was a time, though, when I used to do a little maintenance routine at home, everyday, and actually developed some nicely defined muscles (for a girl, mind you). I wish I could get back to that, but I'm just lazy that way. No use denying it.
----
27.03.2008 - 11:17
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I've slowly gotten back into my workout routine that I strictly adhered to back in high school - free weights five times a week, and running two miles twice a week. I feel so much better now. It's even helped improve my sleep habits...you know, after coming home from "work" I couldn't sleep because I didn't do any real labor or anything worthwhile, so I had no reason to be tired. But, Spring Quarter is about to start for school, and I won't have enough time to work out at the gym.
27.03.2008 - 12:41
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
I like work out but some problem in study and life in that case by the way I work out for 3 month
----
"The WAY" is perfect and complete like boundless space nothing redundant but because the mind continues to make distinction.
28.03.2008 - 10:01
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Introspekrieg on 27.02.2008 at 23:53

all the work I put in and muscle mass I gained has disappeared so it truly was in vain...

i FUCKING hate it when that happens on a more short-term basis(i'm one of the more extreme cases of skinny dudes who shit themselves to gain two pounds of muscle on). i've recently started doing push-ups every day 3 sets, and after being a little smaller than how i was in autumn i somehow got back to that level...

it's incredibly frustrating, i know guys who gain muscle just by looking at weights(what's even more annoying, my friend who is this type of guy tells me that in this case, i have to try even harder!), and when people back in september asked me how long have i been going to the gym(i even had to tell them, they didn't even notice!) and i replied '3-4 months' they say "dude, if i were to go for 4 months at the gym i'd be huuuge'... damn poseur bodybuilders
28.03.2008 - 11:53
owl

Female opinion here: huge schwarzennegger-like muscles suck. If it makes you feel any better.
----
28.03.2008 - 13:03
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by owl on 28.03.2008 at 11:53

Female opinion here: huge schwarzennegger-like muscles suck. If it makes you feel any better.

i'll give myself as an example: i was 1.83 metres tall and weighed 54 kg.. it would take me at least 10 years of constant training to get to schwarzennegger's level when he was in his youth. i'd say the best way to look is how peter parker did in the first spiderman movie, like derek from american history X or bruce in batman begins.. not huge but still buffed above-average.

most guys don't really view huge muscles as 'looking good', it's either they are pro bodybuilders, build huge muscles out of necessity(if they are in prison, or they are fighters) or just have to feed their ego
28.03.2008 - 17:00
Buggy
Account deleted
Not to sound discouraging here, but I doubt 10 or even 20 years of training would ever get you to Shwarzie's level... That kind of hypertrophy can only be attained with extraordinary genes to start with and chemical help on top of that. Your structure is just not made to support that much mass. In fact, nobody can get to that level naturally (without the use of anabolic steriods etc). Chances are, if you are naturally that skinny you won't ever even get to derek or bruce level (which by the way ain't just "above average", it's fucking built already).
Another note: fighters (or any athletes, really) don't need to build huge, body-builder type muscles. Sure they will be toned and ripped (usually), but that kind of bloated, cumbersome sacks of meat are more a disadvantage than anything else in athletic competition...
28.03.2008 - 19:21
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 28.03.2008 at 17:00

Not to sound discouraging here, but I doubt 10 or even 20 years of training would ever get you to Shwarzie's level... That kind of hypertrophy can only be attained with extraordinary genes to start with and chemical help on top of that. Your structure is just not made to support that much mass. In fact, nobody can get to that level naturally (without the use of anabolic steriods etc). Chances are, if you are naturally that skinny you won't ever even get to derek or bruce level (which by the way ain't just "above average", it's fucking built already).
Another note: fighters (or any athletes, really) don't need to build huge, body-builder type muscles. Sure they will be toned and ripped (usually), but that kind of bloated, cumbersome sacks of meat are more a disadvantage than anything else in athletic competition...

well yes, i believe you're right, having huge muscles means less speed in athletics and other track and field stuff, but in boxing at least, they sure make a difference(a guy who gets punched in a bone region gets hurt a lot more than hit in a muscly part, it's more painful and also more dangerous, and bigger muscles mean you weigh more, so you are harder to knock down)

in other fighting sports which don't rely 100% on the fists, huge muscles do spell disadvantage as it'll be harder to do high kicks(which are 100x more powerful than any punch)
28.03.2008 - 19:31
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Valentin B on 28.03.2008 at 19:21

Written by Guest on 28.03.2008 at 17:00

well yes, i believe you're right, having huge muscles means less speed in athletics and other track and field stuff, but in boxing at least, they sure make a difference(a guy who gets punched in a bone region gets hurt a lot more than hit in a muscly part, it's more painful and also more dangerous, and bigger muscles mean you weigh more, so you are harder to knock down)

in other fighting sports which don't rely 100% on the fists, huge muscles do spell disadvantage as it'll be harder to do high kicks(which are 100x more powerful than any punch)

you're right about that. that's why for example in martial arts you don't see a lot of 'big-muscled' practitioners. in fact, since martial arts were created by oriental people who are generally a race which is small, they developed their martial arts having that in mind. so, they took advantage of their size and developed speed and accuracy, etc etc
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
29.03.2008 - 00:26
Buggy
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 28.03.2008 at 19:21

in boxing at least, they sure make a difference(a guy who gets punched in a bone region gets hurt a lot more than hit in a muscly part, it's more painful and also more dangerous, and bigger muscles mean you weigh more, so you are harder to knock down)

I didn't say athletes don't need muscles. I said they don't need body-builder type muscles. The dynamics of different kinds of strenght are way too intricate to be discussed here in detail, anyway. Just look at Tyson, Ali or Roy Jones jr: they have all been heavyweight boxing champions, and although they were all pretty muscular, none of them went even close to modern bodybuilders type physique. The reason for that difference is that athletes train to develop functional strenght, while bodybuilders are looking to maximize hypertrophy while minimizing body fat. The methods and results are just different.
The whole part about weighting more and being harder to knock down isn't really an issue since boxing utilizes weight divisions.
30.03.2008 - 07:49
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Written by Valentin B on 28.03.2008 at 10:01

Written by Introspekrieg on 27.02.2008 at 23:53

all the work I put in and muscle mass I gained has disappeared so it truly was in vain...

i FUCKING hate it when that happens on a more short-term basis(i'm one of the more extreme cases of skinny dudes who shit themselves to gain two pounds of muscle on). i've recently started doing push-ups every day 3 sets, and after being a little smaller than how i was in autumn i somehow got back to that level...

it's incredibly frustrating, i know guys who gain muscle just by looking at weights(what's even more annoying, my friend who is this type of guy tells me that in this case, i have to try even harder!), and when people back in september asked me how long have i been going to the gym(i even had to tell them, they didn't even notice!) and i replied '3-4 months' they say "dude, if i were to go for 4 months at the gym i'd be huuuge'... damn poseur bodybuilders

Mate, you need some protein shakes. You are allowed to start on them before you're big, you know. Just ask a guy at the weight shop, he'll make sure you don't go in over your head.
----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
30.03.2008 - 11:23
Hamird
Lieutenant
I prefer to do some sports like Soccer instead of bodybuilding.
Bodybuilding is ok, but there are so many chemical drugs to make muscles. I don't like this way.
30.03.2008 - 11:57
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Nox Lux on 30.03.2008 at 07:49

Mate, you need some protein shakes. You are allowed to start on them before you're big, you know. Just ask a guy at the weight shop, he'll make sure you don't go in over your head.

i actually took that stuff, 4 fuckin shakes a day at times(1300 calories and 70g protein more)...i stopped even drinking water since those shakes gave me all the liquid i need. i took them for about 3 months from august to october till i ran out of money.
30.03.2008 - 12:11
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Fvcking hell, that's absurd. You must have been doing something wrong - no one's body is that completely non-responsive. I know that the very point you're trying to make is that you're sick of your friends saying what I've just said, but I seriously think you should just have a look at some other combinations/techniques. Dude, do whatever your huge mates are doing for a while, get a routine sorted.

I might be in denial but I'm sure there's a way for you somehow. It's natural Physics and Biology. You'd have to either be undead or suffering from Muscular Distrophy for that kind of lack in response.
----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
30.03.2008 - 13:55
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Nox Lux on 30.03.2008 at 12:11

Fvcking hell, that's absurd. You must have been doing something wrong - no one's body is that completely non-responsive. I know that the very point you're trying to make is that you're sick of your friends saying what I've just said, but I seriously think you should just have a look at some other combinations/techniques. Dude, do whatever your huge mates are doing for a while, get a routine sorted.

I might be in denial but I'm sure there's a way for you somehow. It's natural Physics and Biology. You'd have to either be undead or suffering from Muscular Distrophy for that kind of lack in response.

lol actually i have gained a little mass(i went from about 54 kilos to 62, that means from 120 pounds to 137, not much when looking at the figures, but there are clear visible differences, i used to avoid every mirror i saw, now i'm cool with it, but when i look around i only see bigger guys who do a lot less exercises than me, so that's my problem)
02.04.2008 - 06:28
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
It's kinda odd.... I work out every day and I lost weight, spite I gained muscular mass in my arms, back and chest.
Can someone explain?
----

04.04.2008 - 22:40
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Deadgirl on 22.02.2008 at 01:40

I wouldn't call it "working out," but I get a lot of exercise from school... Somehow my schedule always ends up with each class in a different building and on a different floor. Making a policy of taking stairs every day instead of elevators does so much more good than most people would think

Written by jupitreas on 03.09.2007 at 23:20

i dont work out. there are many reasons for this. first of all - i was lucky enough to be born with a fast metabolism which allows me to pretty much stuff myself like a pig and drink gargantuan amounts of beer without gaining any weight... secondly - i dont have the attention span required to work out, after 30 minutes i am dying of boredom. thirdly - there tends to be a fair amount of walking, moving, carrying stuff etc involved in my daily routine (i travel everywhere by public transportation) so its not like im a complete couch potato.

i don't get this. you people actually think these mundane tasks are making you fit even in the slightest? sorry but the effect these activities have is almost zero, they're not even worth mentioning lol
08.04.2008 - 01:16
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Valentin B on 04.04.2008 at 22:40

Written by Deadgirl on 22.02.2008 at 01:40

I wouldn't call it "working out," but I get a lot of exercise from school... Somehow my schedule always ends up with each class in a different building and on a different floor. Making a policy of taking stairs every day instead of elevators does so much more good than most people would think

Written by jupitreas on 03.09.2007 at 23:20

i dont work out. there are many reasons for this. first of all - i was lucky enough to be born with a fast metabolism which allows me to pretty much stuff myself like a pig and drink gargantuan amounts of beer without gaining any weight... secondly - i dont have the attention span required to work out, after 30 minutes i am dying of boredom. thirdly - there tends to be a fair amount of walking, moving, carrying stuff etc involved in my daily routine (i travel everywhere by public transportation) so its not like im a complete couch potato.

i don't get this. you people actually think these mundane tasks are making you fit even in the slightest? sorry but the effect these activities have is almost zero, they're not even worth mentioning lol

Haha you're right. Most people think that doing this "everyday" activities count as work out. If it counted, moms would have the most kickass arms ever, after all they use them to do all the housework...
----

13.04.2008 - 10:31
Nexus
Asshat
The only reason I even attempt to work out is for shows; I'm a pretty small chick, and get pushed around pretty easily by the beasts I encounter in the moshpit. So I mainly work on my cardio so I'm able to stay in the pit for longer, and a bit on my arm and leg muscles so I have better chances of not getting knocked down.
----
If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for everything
15.04.2008 - 06:24
Deadgirl

Written by Valentin B on 04.04.2008 at 22:40

I only mentioned it because I've lost a significant amount of weight from it. You'd probably be surprised at how much good it has done. Then again, I'm guessing you either didn't read my post entirely or you think my school is much, much smaller than it actually is, because I'm willing to bet you'd be surprised by how far I walk on any normal day.

-edit- A better explanation.
I'm running straight up four flights of stairs every morning... Running straight up three flights every afternoon... Running up at least one most evenings. That is, running (or jogging, whichever you consider it on stairs) instead of walking. Besides that, I have to park at least 1/4 mile (quite literally) away from any given building on campus most days, and it's damn near impossible to find a parking space outside any buildings I need to be in -- so that's more running (since I'm always late to class, haha). I'd say I'm doing pretty well considering my obligations as a full time student and as a part time retail employee.
...Actually, I started running again on my off days too, so there's that. And, if nothing else, I know very few people who could keep up with me on those stairs. So that feels good.
In short: Cursed and Jonas, back off. LOL (And I do mean that in the friendliest of ways. <3)
----
Remember that you are mortal.
15.04.2008 - 11:21
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Deadgirl on 15.04.2008 at 06:24

...Actually, I started running again on my off days too, so there's that. And, if nothing else, I know very few people who could keep up with me on those stairs. So that feels good.
In short: Cursed and Jonas, back off. LOL (And I do mean that in the friendliest of ways. <3)

yeah sorry lol i too used to have to walk about 200 m from where the bus left me, then 3 stories up, and then to the end of a loong corridor where i had my class, thought that people also did something like that, which is absolutely neglijable as far as staying fit because of it.