03. Dancing On Glass
04. Bad Boy Boogie
05. Nona
06. Five Years Dead
07. All In The Name Of...
08. Sumthin' For Nuthin'
09. You're All I Need
10. Jailhouse Rock [Jerry Leiber & Mike Stoller cover] [live] [bonus]
11. Girls, Girls, Girls (Tom Werman And Band Intro) [rough mix of instrumental version] [bonus]
12. Wild Side [rough mix of instrumental version] [bonus]
13. Rodeo [bonus]
14. Nona [instrumental demo idea version] [bonus]
15. All In The Name Of... [Live in Moscow] [2003 reissue bonus]
+ Girls, Girls, Girls [video] [2003 reissue bonus]

Probably the best description of this album comes from Mötley Crüe main man himself Nikki Sixx. In his book The Heroin Diaries, he notes that usually he sobers up long enough to write an album, yet for Girls, Girls, Girls he was unable to do this and boy, does it show. A prime example of a genre renowned for style over substance (except for the illicit kind), this album is a good summation of that stereotype.

Starting off strong, "Wild Side" and the title track set a high bar the rest of the album, which falls flat on its back, unable to come close to matching that standard. Both tracks are remembered for a reason, each being catchy anthems that are easily to sing along to, with Mick Mars throwing good blues-infused guitar work on top that gives the songs an edge that is lacking elsewhere. Had the rest of the album been in a similar vain then this album would be way more fondly remembered.

"Dancing On Glass" is decent enough, with a good guitar riff that flows throughout; it's just that it seems to be the only part of the song with any life in it. The band sound like they're running on autopilot on this track and it doesn't endear itself as a result. I could however go the rest of my life happy never having to hear Vince Neil wail "downtown" again, dancing on glass and fingernails down a chalk board.

The only memorable aspect of much of the album is trying to figure out what song they have ripped off. "Five Years Dead" is AC/DC's "High Voltage", "Bad Boy Boogie" takes the riff from ZZ Top's "Tush" and ruins it. However the real low light of this album has to be in "All In The Name Of"; I get the band had more chemicals in them than a science lab, but how did they or anyone around them not point out the first verse starts off with, and I quote: "She's only fifteen, She's the reason, the reason that I can't sleep, You say illegal, I say legal's never been my scene" ? Wow.

Couple the autopilot nature of most the music and the constant similarities of the music with other bands, and you can guess that the musicianship isn't that great here. Sure, it's all played proficiently, but what they're playing isn't particularly interesting or with much heart put into it. Style over substance indeed.

With "Wild Side" and "Girls, Girls, Girls" appearing on many of their best of collections, this album is skippable for all but the most hardcore fan; there really is little positive of note beyond them.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 5
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 4
Production: 7

Written by omne metallum | 12.04.2020

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
KwonVerge
Rating:
Something from the New York Dolls, a bit of the more groovy and dirty part of the punk rock scene, a big dose of lust for fast women and fast cars and tones of alcohol, drugs and rock n' roll extravaganza and what you get is? Motley Crue of course! And back in 1982 they gave birth to glam/sleaze hard rock with their ultra dirty and full of power and groove sound with "Too Fast For Love".

Read more ››
published 28.12.2005 | Comments (6)

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 12 users
23.04.2020 - 15:27
Rating: 7
Dark Horizons

I agree that this is an album with a lot of fillers, but with 3 really great songs (Wild Side, Girls Girls Girls and Your're All I Need) too.
4.8 is really too low imo.
----
We are just a moment in time
A blink of an eye
A dream for the blind
Visions from a dying brain
I hope you don't understand
30.04.2020 - 12:20
omne metallum

Written by Dark Horizons on 23.04.2020 at 15:27

I agree that this is an album with a lot of fillers, but with 3 really great songs (Wild Side, Girls Girls Girls and Your're All I Need) too.
4.8 is really too low imo.

I found it really derivative and boring really apart from 2 and a half songs. Had the bad songs at least sounded like some effort put into them I would have rated higher. I thought 4.8 was a good position as it does have some merits but it would be unfair to other bands who don't do great but at least sound like they are trying.
----
Just because I'm not listening doesn't mean I don't care

Hits total: 775 | This month: 7