Metal Storm logo
Office of Strategic Influence (OSI)

01.07.2007 - 19:43
Mindheist
No Longer Human
I wrote my post as a tiny review, so everybody can realize what I'm talking about.

Before going further, I must comment on what's happening to me these days. I was supposed to be an "extreme" metalhead, always listening to Nile, Behemoth, Vader, Dies Irae, Spinal Cord...In other words, I was/still a viking/black/death metal freak. However, a month ago (maybe more), me and my friend were discussing the bands we though to be very underrated, he mentioned bands like Transatlantic, Liquid Tension Experiment and Office of Strategic Influence (often abbreviated to Osi), I thought I should give one of them a chance, and that's what I did, I decided to pick out Osi. Believe me, I though that Cynic, Dream Theater and Gordian Knot are the most impressive bands in the progressive metal sound, I was wrong, I listened to their debut album released via "InsideOut Music America" in 2003, so I've to make it clear, this is one perfect masterpiece of high quality progressive metal.

Some of you might notice the all-star lineup of Osi, in case that you don't, take a look:
Kevin Moore - Keyboards, Vocals (Chroma Key, ex-Dream Theater)
Jim Matheos - Guitars (Fates Warning)
Joey Vera - Bass (Fates Warning, ex-Anthrax)
Mike Portnoy - Drums, Percussion (Dream Theater, Transatlantic, Inner Sanctum, Liquid Tension Experiment,)
Steve Wilson (just as guest musician) - Porcupine Tree.
Sean Malone (guest musician) - Gordian Knot

I'm afraid OSI is not a new Liquid Tension Experiment, as Portnoy rather sticks to "plain" drumming, whatever "plain" means in the Portnoy encyclopedia, but they really deserve your intentions. Even An extreme metalhead may change his taste after listening to them, I know someone who did . I simply melt once that superb sound of the Fender Rhodes enters, taking turns with synthesizer tweaks accompanied with thundering drum sound of Dr.Portnoy and while you're listening to this progfest you surely know you're in trouble...in trouble...

My final advise in the end of the day is, try to get into Jazz/progressive/rock once and you won't stop, you've my word. For any recommendation, PM me.

Website of Office of Strategic Influence: http://www.osiband.com/.
02.07.2007 - 01:40
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
This band is kinda wierd but really good... It has very nice acoustic parts and some worth-listening melodies... However, their second albums is worst than the first one... Hope they return to the first album sound on their next album...
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
02.07.2007 - 14:35
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Agreed. The first album was their best one...Sure, they are weird but polite .
03.07.2007 - 05:05
Eternal Flames
Some great unique prog metal here and another reason why Kevin Moore is one of my favourite musicians. It's certainly different to Dream Theater which is certainly a good thing and I love the range of electronic sounds to acoustic subtlety.

I've only heard bits of the second album although it certainly did not sound as good as the first. The first album is brilliant. Truly great and innovative music they have created with that release.
23.09.2007 - 09:53
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Ah yes OSI! Contains two musicians in the greatest progressive metal band! Of course I speak of Jim Matheos, and Joey Vera. Mike Portnoy and Kevin Moore are really good as well. Their first album was really good, but Free was absolutely horrible in my opinion. I really expected a lot more from some of prog metals finest. So far overall despite the first album being quite good, I'm not impressed...
10.02.2009 - 18:29
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
The debut album is still one of my favorite releases in the past decade. I had been waiting for someone to start mixing Trip Hop and Metal, and OSI did it. The second album is really solid as well, but just didn't have the same impact the first one did.
----
(space for rent)
08.04.2011 - 14:55
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I actually really like the album "Free" more than any of the others I think, it stood out for me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
08.04.2011 - 20:29
blatantandy
I'm a big fan of all three of there albums, but think the first is probably still my favorite.