06. Don't Let Daddy Kiss Me
07. Bad Woman
08. Liar
09. Lost In The Ozone
10. I'm Your Man
11. We Bring The Shake
12. Devils
13. Jumpin' Jack Flash [Rolling Stones cover] [2001 re-release bonus]

With no need for any caveats, Bastards is the definitive Motörhead album. Twelve tracks of the finest rock 'n' roll the legendary group had to offer, the only question you must ask yourself is, why did you not listen to this album sooner?

To say this album has weak moments is to complain that a piece of gold isn't as shiny as it could be. No element of the album can be pulled apart and held up as the weak part even when held under the microscope that is repeated listening. The only negative comments that can be attached to this album are related to the bad handling this album endured upon its release; all but lost in between the sea change that was the early 90s and label issues, Bastards had an anchor chained to it that more than likely kept you from hearing it until after you decided to delve into the band further.

The four-track run of "Burner" through to "Born To Raise Hell" is the pinnacle of the band's work; each as no-nonsense kick-ass as the preceding track. The perfect mix of rock 'n' roll, blues and metal the band were known for, the balance is perfected here, and while they come damn close for the rest of the album (and indeed for most of their career), this just happens to be the moment of equilibrium. If you are a fan of each of the flavours the band have to offer you are well catered for here. All out metal? "Burner". Blues? "I'm Your Man". Rock 'n' roll? "Bad Woman". This album has it all.

Building on from "1916" from the same album; "Don't Let Daddy Kiss Me" and "Lost in The Ozone" show the band could change gears and do slow, moody numbers just as well as they could kick ass. They provide time to catch your breath before throwing you back to the wolves that is the rest of the album, while never sounding like an arbitrary break between what comes before and after them. If the description of "slow" and "moody" makes you think that Lemmy is growing soft on you, don't be fooled; tackling the issues of incest and environmental degradation, it exchanges instrumental heaviness for a lyrical and thematic one.

What does this album do wrong? It finishes, that's all.

Easily the best album from this incarnation of the band; is it a better album than the likes of Ace Of Spades or Overkill? Yes, though it would be a hard choice. While it would like choosing between your favourite beers (either way you're going to be having too much fun to notice much difference), I would give Bastards the nod, as this album just has that extra bit of variety that the others didn't.

The only time this album shouldn't be in your record player is when you're holding it aloft in the air like Rafiki held Simba. R.I.P. Lemmy, you left a hell of a mark on the world with this album.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by omne metallum | 29.04.2020

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
ozzy
Rating:
In early 1975, Lemmy Kilmister was fired from his band "Hawkwind". He decided to take his revenge on his former band mates and start a new band, originally called "Bastards". "Hawkwinds" manager, Doug Smith, advised Lemmy to change the name. The last song Lemmy ever wrote for "Hawkwind" was called "Motorhead". The rest is history?

Read more ››
published 14.06.2005 | Comments (2)

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 30 users
29.04.2020 - 11:51
nikarg
staff
Quote:
R.I.P. Lemmy, you left a hell of a mark on the world with this album.

qft
I slightly prefer 1916, but both albums are the greatest moments of the band during the '90s. The lyrics of "Don't Let Daddy Kiss Me" are outstanding. Motörhead is the only band in my book that has no bad albums in such an extensive discography.
29.04.2020 - 15:10
Rating: 8
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nikarg on 29.04.2020 at 11:51

Quote:

qft
I slightly prefer 1916, but both albums are the greatest moments of the band during the '90s. The lyrics of "Don't Let Daddy Kiss Me" are outstanding. Motörhead is the only band in my book that has no bad albums in such an extensive discography.

I prefer Snake Bite Love, 1th MH album I bought by my own money, back in the days, maybe that why it sticks, but then 1916 is better as this IMO
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.04.2020 - 12:15
omne metallum
contributor
Written by nikarg on 29.04.2020 at 11:51

Quote:

qft

To release 22 albums of high quality work is practically inhuman, then again, Lemmy always was a God amongst men
----
Just because I'm not listening doesn't mean I don't care

Hits total: 729 | This month: 6