07. New World War
08. EZLN
09. Skate Addiction
10. Valley Of Tears
11. Wops Still Thrash
12. Minkions [Bulldozer cover] [South American edition]
13. Hyades [live] [South American edition]
14. No Man's Land [live] [South American edition]

And The Worst Is Yet To Come... is probably the best metal album to come out of Italy; while not a country renowned for metal, Hyades make a compelling case for people to sit up and take notice of what is coming out of the country. With a slab of some of the finest crafted thrash metal, Hyades have one hell of an album in their arsenal.

Instrumentally, And The Worst Is Yet To Come... is one of the strongest thrash records since the 80s; each instrument is strong and powerful, creating a blistering album of hooks and riffs that will have you humming along way after the album has finished. The guitars are produced perfectly, crunchy and clear with just the right level of effects on them; they drive these songs through your ears and deep into your sub-consciousness to the point you remember the riffs like the back of your hand. The rhythm section carry their own weight and then some; no slouches on their own instruments, Rawdeath on drums and Orlando's bass work are just as captivating as the guitars.

"Unconform #756" and "Valley Of Tears" are earworms through and through, embedding themselves seconds after the tracks start to play. This is often the case for the whole album and is something the band can reproduce with what sounds like minimal effort on their part.

The weak link in this album isthe vocals; Colombo's vocals don't lack in effort, but he is the jack of all trades and master of none. Colombo does not settle on a style and creates some weird hybrid that combines Zetro from Exodus, John Tardy from Obituary and Tony Foresta of Municipal Waste, switching up the ratio of which one he channels per song. If he were to settle on a style and make it his own, it would bolster this album further.

While the album is mostly party thrash in lyrical tone, the semi shifts to serious topics on songs like "Pharmageddon" try to be serious with a clown nose on... to poor effect. It is something that can work and be done well, but Hyades just can't pull it off on this album, though it isn't for lack of trying.

And The Worst Is Yet To Come... won't rewrite the book on thrash anytime soon, but damn does it give you a good reason to throw the book out the window and just mosh wherever you happen to be listening to it (take that as a warning to you if you are near any valuables).

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by omne metallum | 03.05.2020

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 11 users
03.05.2020 - 21:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dunno this band, so its Overkill to say probably best metal from italy
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.05.2020 - 22:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Bad English on 03.05.2020 at 21:51

I dunno this band, so its Overkill to say probably best metal from italy

Best =/= most popular. Not that I've listened to this myself, but you're conflating what he stated in the review.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 675 | This month: 5