Metal Storm logo
Enslaved - Premiere New Single And Video From 'Utgard' Record

"Homebound" is here. The first official single from Enslaved and their upcoming full length offering, Utgard, due out in autumn this year via Nuclear Blast. Video clip was created by Gaui H Pic.

This new single will be release on a Limited Edition 7" vinyl format (limited to 500 pieces) on June, 26th and can be pre-ordered here.

The tracklist reads as follows:

01. Homebound [A-side]
02. Knights Of The Thunder (TNT Cover) [B-side]

The band states: "Homebound" is about the greatest reward of exploring and travelling into unknown territory - to "go viking" if you will, turning "Homebound" at the end of the journey. It is a song that takes Enslaved on a musical journey that is as much an homage to those who dared so we could play our very own style of music: from nurturing blackened roots to nodding at zeppelins in the sky, beholding teutonic thrash titans and watching speeding motorpsychos take off into the futures."

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Enslaved
Posted: 22.05.2020 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 33   Visited by: 217 users
22.05.2020 - 15:33
bleak
Account deleted
Is the art a Pink Floyd tribute?
22.05.2020 - 15:39
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 22.05.2020 at 15:33

It contains a lot of images from their old album covers. So it's an Enslaved tribute.
22.05.2020 - 16:38
Dungeon Shaker

I like it, not the cover but the song.
----
www.thunderousvoices.com
22.05.2020 - 16:47
The Entity

Sound like Enslaved, new singer comes out of his shell abit which I like.
----
https://enigmaticalofficial.bandcamp.com/
Industrial / Cosmic Black Metal
22.05.2020 - 16:49
Metren
Dreadrealm
Well, I like everything, the cover art, the song and the video. I don't expect Enslaved to ever quite reach the heights of Isa or Monumension again, but these guys are still a class act, consistently flowing between pretty good and very good. This song is excellent.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
22.05.2020 - 18:08
JayMo4

Written by Metren on 22.05.2020 at 16:49
I don't expect Enslaved to ever quite reach the heights of Isa or Monumension again, but these guys are still a class act, consistently flowing between pretty good and very good. This song is excellent.

I think the run of albums Enslaved had from Monumension through Vertebrae is as great a stretch as anyone has ever had in all of extreme music. Each of those albums is brilliant. It's all subjective of course, but Isa is easily a top five record for black metal and for prog metal in my mind.

So I try my best not to compare. These guys are older and have different things to say now than before, and the lineup has shifted several times as well.

What I do know is that this is a pretty damned good song, and it doesn't seem likely that this new record is going to be the first by Enslaved to disappoint. It's honestly hard to believe that one group could keep it up at such a high level after all this time, but they just keep doing it.
22.05.2020 - 18:12
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by JayMo4 on 22.05.2020 at 18:08

Isa is easily a top five record for black metal and for prog metal in my mind.

100 % agreed.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
22.05.2020 - 18:49
angel.
Evil Butterfly
They couldn't be more Meh could they?
----
The Fangirl.
22.05.2020 - 19:46
The Entity

Don't think its anywhere near "meh" if you ask me, there is plenty out there that fall in that catagory but even avarage Enslaved is great!
----
https://enigmaticalofficial.bandcamp.com/
Industrial / Cosmic Black Metal
22.05.2020 - 20:08
Metren
Dreadrealm
Yeah, calling this "meh" in a world of *lists a bunch of off-topic bands* doesn't make sense to me either
----
22.05.2020 - 20:13
The Witchfinder
Account deleted
Written by Metren on 22.05.2020 at 16:49

I don't expect Enslaved to ever quite reach the heights of Isa or Monumension again,

Except they already surpassed those heights with Axioma.
22.05.2020 - 20:15
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by The Entity on 22.05.2020 at 19:46

but even avarage Enslaved is great!

That sounds like a die hard fan of Enslaved.

In a world of shitload of great music, this is just a meh band for me.
----
The Fangirl.
22.05.2020 - 20:19
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Guest on 22.05.2020 at 20:13

Except they already surpassed those heights with Axioma.

Axioma blew me away the first few times, but it was an easy album to enjoy and absorb, so it lost its value quickly for me. I'd probably rate it a 7.5 or maybe an 8 these days, but I still listen to Isa, Monumension, Below The Lights regularly and I feel like I still haven't gotten everything I can from those albums.

I think Axioma Ethica Odini is one of the most overrated Enslaved albums here on MS actually. I like it, but it's not their best by a long shot.
----
22.05.2020 - 20:27
The Witchfinder
Account deleted
Written by Metren on 22.05.2020 at 20:19

Axioma blew me away the first few times, but it was an easy album to enjoy and absorb, so it lost its value quickly for me. I'd probably rate it a 7.5 or maybe an 8 these days, but I still listen to Isa, Monumension, Below The Lights regularly and I feel like I still haven't gotten everything I can from those albums.

I think Axioma Ethica Odini is one of the most overrated Enslaved albums here on MS actually. I like it, but it's not their best by a long shot.

I would pick Axioma over most of Enslaved's discog in a heartbeat, especially Monumension which I'm surprised you mentioned since it's quite average for an Enslaved album considering it came before two of their best albums.
22.05.2020 - 20:37
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Guest on 22.05.2020 at 20:27

I would pick Axioma over most of Enslaved's discog in a heartbeat, especially Monumension which I'm surprised you mentioned since it's quite average for an Enslaved album considering it came before two of their best albums.

I like Monumension because it is a weirder one. My top three Enslaved would be Isa, Below The Lights and Monumension with Isa being the clear highlight of their discography for me. As I said though, I haven't given Axioma Ethica Odini (or any of the albums that followed) a listen in a while.

One of the best feelings an album can give me is the feeling of "I have no clue how the fuck to reproduce these soundscapes and melodies" and I get more of that feeling with Isa and Monumension than with Axioma Ethica Odini. Not saying I could write material as good as Axioma Ethica Odini, but it's the feeling of "oh, that's how they did that" that - while it may be deceptive - makes it less interesting.

I hope that made sense, haha.
----
22.05.2020 - 21:53
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by angel. on 22.05.2020 at 20:15

In a world of shitload of great music.

Mediocre music you mean.

Enslaved is special
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
22.05.2020 - 22:25
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Maco on 22.05.2020 at 21:53

Mediocre music you mean.

I equivocally said great! Does great translate to mediocre in your dictionary?

Yeah maybe die hard fans of Enslaved gurgle anything that they throw out of their window but this song is nowhere close to special for me.
----
The Fangirl.
22.05.2020 - 22:42
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Daniell on 22.05.2020 at 15:39

It contains a lot of images from their old album covers. So it's an Enslaved tribute.

I think what he meant was.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
22.05.2020 - 22:53
IBlackened

Enslaved's gotta be in my Top 5 "bands I tried to get into but failed every time".
----
Their old stuff is better.
23.05.2020 - 01:54
Lanthros

Damned great track. I've never been disappointed with anything Enslaved as done. For some of you I've gotta say, I'm really slightly disappointed that nonebof you give Mardraum very much credit. It isn't their best but it was most definitely a breakthrough and transitional album.

Yo one other, if you call Enslaved Meh then back that shit up. Who do you claim is soooo much better that they put Enslaved so low?
23.05.2020 - 06:54
angel.
Evil Butterfly
I put down any band that I think they're down the list! If you ever expand your musical taste and listen up to some varied stuffs you will find out that the music world is not limited to your mediocre favorite band (with the two votes to Borknagar and Sigh you have, I doubt that you ever would do such anyway)
----
The Fangirl.
23.05.2020 - 07:09
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Will be interesting if the drummer takes on all the cleans on the new album or whether it is shared with Hakon.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
23.05.2020 - 09:06
IBlackened

Written by Lanthros on 23.05.2020 at 01:54

Yo one other, if you call Enslaved Meh then back that shit up. Who do you claim is soooo much better that they put Enslaved so low?

The question wasn't directed to me, but let me answer it: Five Finger Death Punch, Linkin Park and Korn.

Joking aside, isn't that subjective anyway? How do you measure music quality? I don't even try it, because it's meaningless to me. My approach, ultimately, is "this interests me / this doesn't". It could be the most technical, brutal, atmospheric, melodic and innovative band and not click with me. On paper, I should love Mayhem and I don't, I should hate Igorrr and I love it.
----
23.05.2020 - 11:22
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by IBlackened on 23.05.2020 at 09:06

The question wasn't directed to me, but let me answer it: Five Finger Death Punch, Linkin Park and Korn.

Yeah look at the list of my favorite bands, they all are there!

Music is subjective but doesn't change the fact that you can actually spot the good song writing, riffing, structure, sound, vocals and all instruments, when it's bad it's bad anyway although some people would love to gurgle it. But what you pick highly depends on how much you were exposed to varied music live and records. When you always pick the same music then you don't expect yourself to like something more that.
----
The Fangirl.
23.05.2020 - 14:51
Khold Baroness

Nothing compares with Riitir album...a world class masterpiece 🎵🎶🕷🕸🖤🤘
23.05.2020 - 17:08
bleak
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 22.05.2020 at 15:39

I know. I meant that the cover is similar to the "Echoes" compilation by Floyd.
23.05.2020 - 18:08
Lanthros

Written by angel. on 23.05.2020 at 06:54

I put down any band that I think they're down the list! If you ever expand your musical taste and listen up to some varied stuffs you will find out that the music world is not limited to your mediocre favorite band (with the two votes to Borknagar and Sigh you have, I doubt that you ever would do such anyway)

First and foremost you make a really sad assumption based on my lack of spending hours every day clicking off bands. Just for example Ulver is my favorite band.

Secondly, I dont confuse the terms best and favorite. They are far different things.

I'll say this though, if you consider enslaved to be mediocre and just meh, you don't have Mich comprehension of composition, structure, and progression. They have a very distinct sound and style and are of the most talented and productive bands around. You can dislike them all you want. That's your perogative. But don't make silly assumptions and have some actual substance to your arguments if your going to make them.
23.05.2020 - 21:49
IBlackened

Written by angel. on 23.05.2020 at 11:22

Written by IBlackened on 23.05.2020 at 09:06

Yeah look at the list of my favorite bands, they all are there!

Sorry, but I wasn't trying to speak for yourself or saying that you like those bands. I was answering the question as if he was asking me, joking of course.

Written by angel. on 23.05.2020 at 11:22

Music is subjective but doesn't change the fact that you can actually spot the good song writing, riffing, structure, sound, vocals and all instruments, when it's bad it's bad anyway although some people would love to gurgle it. But what you pick highly depends on how much you were exposed to varied music live and records. When you always pick the same music then you don't expect yourself to like something more that.

I said subjective in the sense that everyone has a different reason to prefer a certain band/genre over another one and people tend to be biased towards what they like. What I think is good songwriting may be different for you. It would be hard to disagree that the guys in Enslaved are better musicians than Varg, but I prefer Burzum. So those attributes are not decisive to me. We would probably disagree on what's better.
----
24.05.2020 - 12:34
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Lanthros on 23.05.2020 at 18:08

First and foremost you make a really sad assumption based on my lack of spending hours every day clicking off bands. Just for example Ulver is my favorite band.

Secondly, I dont confuse the terms best and favorite. They are far different things.

I'll say this though, if you consider enslaved to be mediocre and just meh, you don't have Mich comprehension of composition, structure, and progression. They have a very distinct sound and style and are of the most talented and productive bands around. You can dislike them all you want. That's your perogative. But don't make silly assumptions and have some actual substance to your arguments if your going to make them.

Silly? Assumptions? Two votes are there in your profile and that's all!
I haven't even confused the terms "best" and " favorite" either, my reading comprehension is totally intact! And there you go on with assumption ?!

Here this song is a huge step back from all their earlier albums which at their bests were also an average song writing in the same genre.

But it is a waste of breath to talk about this on Metalstorm with people who are just die hard fans of an "x " or "y" band blindly! It's very difficult for them to digest that even a band with high technical composition and infusing their songs with complicated song writing structures can be horribly average music in the end, take Dream Theater or Dragonforce and similar bands as examples. They can be highly educated musicians but they cannot be creative artists to bring something memorable and touching aesthetically in terms of art, not just wanking on their guitars with their hard earned skills of masturbating techniques in their musicianship.

Sooo... Whatevaaaah BRUHH! Enjoy the meh ride provided by Enslaved!
----
The Fangirl.
25.05.2020 - 13:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like artworl, I like muisc but i dont like how he sings, simging is let down. Seems ater ''Blodhemn'' band cant creatre good music and after IUsa I lost interest.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 3294 | This month: 3