241 users:
Band: In Flames
Album: Black-Ash Inheritance
Release date: 1997

01. Goliaths Disarm Their Davids
02. Gyroscope
03. Acoustic Medley
04. Behind Space [live]

In the long and complex discography of the Swedish band In Flames, the Black-Ash Inheritance EP is probably the most unknown of all their official releases. And the main reason could be that it only contains 4 tracks. I agree but among them, two are really rare: 'Goliaths Disarm Their Davids', which I would have included on the album Whoracle as it would have been one of the best songs [...] and 'Acoustic Medley', whose title says it all.

'Gyroscope' was brand new material until they released Whoracle while the live version of 'Behind Space' is good without reaching the status of an essential track. So, there is good material but it's a little short, even for an EP. Hopefully, highlights such as 'Goliaths Disarm Their Davids' and 'Acoustic Medley' make it worth checking out.

Rare Melodic Death Metal, that's what this EP is all about. By the way, there's three ways to get this EP: the original release, of course, but also both the re-issue of The Jester Race and the Japanese version of Whoracle include the full Black-Ash Inheritance EP.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 7

Written on 17.09.2003 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 74 users
05.07.2007 - 21:53
Rating: 8
BlankFile

Classic Release with one killer song: "goliaths disarm their Davids"
23.05.2009 - 09:26
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by BlankFile on 05.07.2007 at 21:53

True. One of their best songs ever in this little EP.

Good little review also
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
17.09.2009 - 04:44
Jon

I could never understand the fuss about In Flames - their output this century has been abysmal and I always considered their '90s stuff inferior to their Gothenburg and Stockholm peers. But this EP has changed my mind a bit, as Goliaths...is really a brilliant track by any man's measure. The Acoustic Medley can rival At The Gates' And The World Returned for the best Gothenburg acoustic track. I will be investigating into the band's early material now I think
----
A mythology is a religion different enough from your own for it's absurdity to be obvious.
22.10.2013 - 16:22
Rating: 10
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by BlankFile on 05.07.2007 at 21:53

Man, "'Goliaths Disarm Their Davids" is my favorite In Flames song. And yeah i'm still surprised that not many fans like it or include it in their favorite In Flames songs.

Hits total: 5219 | This month: 11