Metal Storm logo
The "What do they play?" thread

Original post

Posted by Destryphior, 28.05.2006 - 21:07
There are often bands that doesen't fit in any ganres, and I
often wonder how to describe some bands... This thread is here to clear it up...
Try not to use any difficult-neverbefore heard-subgenres like toothbrushing-poetic-bongo bongo metal...
What does Wintersun exactly play, extreme power metal doesn't describe them that good...
Die Apokalyptischen Reiter, hmmm wierd, haven't found any better describing word...
25.06.2006 - 22:13
Destryphior

Yup, and Nintendo core , Melo-Black is quite often used and i think it is a sub-genre to be accepted just like melo-death....Norsecore sounds stupid and alot like a "Made up by your friend" name...
25.06.2006 - 22:28
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Ok, does someone know the band Bile? It is good stuff, but I was wondering what to call them?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.06.2006 - 23:10
Bas
Retired Staff
judging from the two songs you sent me it is definitely some sort of industrial music, if its industrialmetal or industrialrock or just industrial im not sure though
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
25.06.2006 - 23:13
Lucas
Mr. Noise
O. I thought something among that line. Thanks.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
22.07.2006 - 21:54
Bash'
:)
well .... the other side question should be what those specific styles/sub-styles means..!!

there should be a thread or a page or anything telling us about every style what is it .. and so..
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
22.07.2006 - 22:02
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Which would priobably cause a lot of controversy, because you will never have all agree with such a list. People should stop thinking in categories, and try it out. Not every band needs his own category.

PS: No offence, might sound a little harsh, but I think it just wouldn't work.
----

24.07.2006 - 01:05
Warman
Erotic Stains
I am a little late here but I think Extreme Power metal is a perfect genre for Wintersun. If Jari didn't growl the songs would be 100 % Power metal.
----
31.07.2006 - 17:52
Drizzling Blur
Account deleted
Written by Bash' on 22.07.2006 at 21:54

there should be a thread or a page or anything telling us about every style what is it .. and so..

totally agree, do we have one already
31.07.2006 - 19:07
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Guest on 31.07.2006 at 17:52

Written by Bash' on 22.07.2006 at 21:54

totally agree, do we have one already

Would be a good idea, if it weren't for the fact that no genre is 100% accurate.

First you'd have to seperate all the 'real' genres from the 'fake' genres. Impossible.

Then you'd have to find the exact caractaristics of each genre. Difficult.

IMO.
----

31.07.2006 - 19:29
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
^^ We had something like this in the old version, it was in the forums but dont think it was that useful... im now questioning whether it was actaully a good thing to have. Oh well, life goes one

A question that im having trouble with is which genre to fix Lamb Of God into. Some are saying their Metalcore, but i think their heavier to actually be put into that catagary... they're also a little more thrashier aswell. Oh i dont know, ajkdfgbae, any suggestions?
----

Hellcunt Smurf
05.08.2006 - 19:41
Drizzling Blur
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 31.07.2006 at 19:07

First you'd have to seperate all the 'real' genres from the 'fake' genres. Impossible.

Hmmm, how about starting a thread, cos its badly needed, specially for me and im guessing most of others.
05.08.2006 - 19:50
Bitch Boy

@ Xtreme Jax: in the old version I remember that there was only a definition for Suomi metal, but the other genres had no definition at all.

It would be great to have a MS definition for major genres: heavy, thrash, power, progressive, gothic, doom, death, black, grindcore, industrial and alternative.
06.08.2006 - 19:26
Bas
Retired Staff
there is an article for gothicmetal, an article for deathmetal and an article for industrial, all written by someone who knows what he´s talking about where that genre is concerned, so i suggest that if someone who thinks he/she knows enough about a genre to make an article about it reads this, please do share your knowledge with us and write one
----
06.08.2006 - 22:13
Stigmatized
Written by Xtreme Jax on 31.07.2006 at 19:29

^^ We had something like this in the old version, it was in the forums but dont think it was that useful... im now questioning whether it was actaully a good thing to have. Oh well, life goes one

A question that im having trouble with is which genre to fix Lamb Of God into. Some are saying their Metalcore, but i think their heavier to actually be put into that catagary... they're also a little more thrashier aswell. Oh i dont know, ajkdfgbae, any suggestions?

Lamb Of God....I've seen them described as "post-thrash", which means groove thrash apparently. I suppose that would be the most accurate definition for them in my opinion.
06.08.2006 - 23:54
Lucas
Mr. Noise
For me, the Similar Bandslist is most of the time enough. Gives you a good idea, without having to invent genres that don't exist and shit like that.
----

07.08.2006 - 13:38
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Written by Bas on 06.08.2006 at 19:26

there is an article for gothicmetal, an article for deathmetal and an article for industrial, all written by someone who knows what he´s talking about where that genre is concerned, so i suggest that if someone who thinks he/she knows enough about a genre to make an article about it reads this, please do share your knowledge with us and write one

Yeah, I know jupitreas did a thread defining Industrial (Metal). I suppose a new thread could be made. There is an entire forum for it called Genre Definitions though...
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
07.08.2006 - 13:58
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by Raiden on 07.08.2006 at 13:38

There is an entire forum for it called Genre Definitions though...

no there is not, it doesnt exist anymore
----
07.08.2006 - 14:43
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Written by Bas on 07.08.2006 at 13:58

Written by Raiden on 07.08.2006 at 13:38

There is an entire forum for it called Genre Definitions though...

no there is not, it doesnt exist anymore

:-0 So it doesn't! There used to be a forum called Genre Definitions! lol
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
12.08.2006 - 17:24
marinBG

Hi... I wonder how would you define the genre of Blinded Colony and Sonic Syndicate... I think they are either nu melodic death metal or may be just plain metalcore, but I don't really think so... or would you classify them in the gothenburg movement...
I'm waiting for your answers
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
03.09.2006 - 23:53
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Ok, a friend and I are always discussing Shadows Fall and the genre they play, and
sometimes he might say thrash, sometimes Gothenburg, and I think it also has
Metal Core elements to it. What the hell do they play?
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
04.09.2006 - 17:50
Daru Jericho

I always thought Shadows Fall played metalcore. I'm not exactly sure though, I haven't listened to them in ages. I can't really see any Gothenburg elements in their music though.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

04.09.2006 - 20:39
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Daru Jericho on 04.09.2006 at 17:50

I always thought Shadows Fall played metalcore. I'm not exactly sure though, I haven't listened to them in ages. I can't really see any Gothenburg elements in their music though.

yeah me either, Sometimes I wonder what's going on in that little brain of his
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
16.09.2006 - 06:13
Bitch Boy

I've got a doubt... why is the Dark Tranquillity thread in the melodic forum and Arch Enemy in the extreme one?? I can't see the difference if both of these bands are "gothenburg" metal. And, why the extreme-power metal bands like ETOS or CoB are in the melodic forum as well??
16.09.2006 - 06:59
Ibanez07
Account deleted
Shadows fall I think is in the same breed of metalcore as Darkest Hour and Unearth- they're metalcore, but they actually can play their guitars lol. I know the musicians in those bands IDOLIZE the Gothenburg sound, and I think they try and include it in their music, but they're just tooo American to do it right [exception: Darkest Hour {Undoing Ruin}].

As for the melodic death problem between DT and Arch Enemy- I'm right there with ya. I think the proper phrase is, "WTF mate?"
16.09.2006 - 11:35
Warman
Erotic Stains
What does Thine Eyes Bleed play?

PS. I do not wanna write another post since this will be my 666 post
----
16.09.2006 - 14:17
Draklar
Account deleted
Written by Bitch Boy on 16.09.2006 at 06:13

And, why the extreme-power metal bands like ETOS or CoB are in the melodic forum as well??
Because what's widely accepted as "extreme power metal" has nothing to do with extreme music.
16.09.2006 - 15:04
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Just a quick question: what is extreme??

and COB are melodic death metal.
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
16.09.2006 - 15:13
Draklar
Account deleted
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 16.09.2006 at 15:04

The non-melodic stuff.

Ugh, what the hell do CoB have to do with death metal?
16.09.2006 - 16:29
Insineratehymn
Account deleted

The exact opposite of melodic metal. Melodic metal consists of heavy metal, power metal, doom metal, and gothic metal. Extreme metal consists of thrash metal, death metal, black metal, and grindcore.

Children Of Bodom have nothing to do with melodic death metal.
16.09.2006 - 16:38
Stigmatized
Yet, everyone seems to classify them as Melodic Death......Man, metal is way over-classifed.