07. Soma City Ward
08. Jizz Da Pit
09. Lower
10. Take It Away
11. Doin' Fine
12. Be The Ball
13. I Hate Everybody (But You)
14. Back And Forth Again

Before Velvet Revolver and his own solo career, Slash created his own band Slash's Snakepit as an outlet for his own ideas; It's Five O' Clock Somewhere came towards the end of his tenure in Guns N' Roses as the band ground to inertia. An album that is best remembered for what it is rather than what is contained within, Slash's first steps outside of the Guns machine were his first tentative steps to leaving said band.

The band take you through a blend of blues rock from some of the biggest names in music (especially at the time). The skills of those involved are undeniable, three (then) members of Guns N' Roses, Alice In Chains bass player Mike Inez with Dover up front make for hell of a collection of talent.

Starting off on the wrong foot with "Neither Can I", It's Five O' Clock Somewhere is an album that grows into itself by the album's end if you hang on long enough. The sequencing of this album is one of its main weaknesses, with the aforementioned "Neither Can I" starting the album off way too slow, whereas it would have been suited towards the end of the album; a poor choice to kick off proceedings.

The first half of the album suffers from songs that are mostly too long and drag themselves out beyond where they should have ended, with the likes of "Beggars & Hangers-On" and "What Do You Want To Be" outstaying their welcomes. The second half of the album from "Jizz Da Pit" (there's one mosh pit I'll pass on) on sees the band rectify this problem, and the songs sound concise and well packaged. Songs like "Be The Ball" and "I Hate Everybody (But You)" see the album off in style.

What the band do well is just playing straight-up blues-inspired rock 'n' roll, with tracks like "Soma City Ward" and "Be The Ball" grabbing you in with Slash's guitar work and the band holding you in their pockets until the song ends. Songs like "Monkey Chow" hook you in with a jumpy bouncy rhythm that will keep your ears glued to the speakers.

What the album mostly lacks though is the killer blow; sure, each song is great and will keep you returning to hear it again, but for as memorable and quality as some of the songs are, it lacks that cherry on top that would elevate the experience. Slash's Snakepit is a king without a crown, an undoubtly great album but one that blurs into the crowd without that stand-out element.

It's Five O' Clock Somewhere is a solid album of rock and roll by some of the best players in the business; it is a shame that it has been largely relegated to a mere footnote in the history of those involved. For an album that essentially is just the members spinning their wheels until their full-time bands got moving, it's better than many full-times do at their best: highly recommended for rock fans out there.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by omne metallum | 24.05.2020

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 14 users
24.05.2020 - 11:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Imo many blues albums, blues rock has some songs to long.

This is his best work after gunsnroses. Rest of his bands are not worth to listen
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.05.2020 - 14:48
JoHn Doe

I haven't listened to this in years, I wonder why...
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
25.05.2020 - 11:36
omne metallum

Written by Bad English on 24.05.2020 at 11:53

This is his best work after gunsnroses. Rest of his bands are not worth to listen

Have to agree, as much as I want to enjoy his other work since Guns, I've never been able to really enjoy it.
----
Just because I'm not listening doesn't mean I don't care
25.05.2020 - 11:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by omne metallum on 25.05.2020 at 11:36

Written by Bad English on 24.05.2020 at 11:53

Have to agree, as much as I want to enjoy his other work since Guns, I've never been able to really enjoy it.

He needs axl rose and few better song writers, miles kenedy should go in pension
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.05.2020 - 01:24
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
This is a really underrated album, good review. Quite enjoy Neither Can I though, personally. But ultimately this a lot better than the solo stuff he did with Miles Kennedy, there's some pretty great riffage in here
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII

Hits total: 922 | This month: 8