04. No, No, No
05. Hell Or High Water
06. My Way
07. When Your Walls Come Down
08. Reason To Live
09. Good Girl Gone Bad
10. Turn On The Night
11. Thief In The Night

Ah, 80s KISS, a time that saw the band clutching at anything but quality. Between the unmasking and the disco/hair metal, the band were finding themselves also-rans in an scene they did much to spawn back in the 70s. Crazy Nights is their seventh attempt of the decade to find solid ground as the band were carried away by the floods they had been pivotal in unleashing.

For most of the album, it is a case of sitting through mediocrity to either stumble upon a good song or a bad song. When the band do manage to click, they sound revitalised and ready to stake their claim in the unfolding glam scene; when it goes wrong? They sound like a third-rate glam metal band.

The high points of this album are peaks the band hadn't reached since the 70s, with songs like "Crazy, Crazy Nights", "I'll Fight Hell To Hold You" and "No, No, No" showing the band were not a busted flush and still had it in them when they put their minds to it. "Crazy, Crazy Nights" is a certified party anthem, while "I'll Fight Hell To Hold You" is a somewhat average tune but with a great chorus; "No, No, No" is a guitar-driven dose of metal that sounds so full of life next to much of the filler around it.

The peaks are however surrounded by valleys that even Aron Ralston would think twice about. "Bang, Bang You" is essentially a crap proto "Crazy, Crazy Nights" with some of the worst lyrics by the band (yes, worse than "Let's Put The X In Sex"). "My Way" tries to sound like a defiant macho stand but sounds like a five year old wrote it, while the crème de la crap is "When Your Walls Come Down", a bog standard track with lyrics that are so half-assed and cliché the band had mentally clocked out by this point. While I don't expect Oscar Wilde levels of wit in the lyrics, at least give me lines better than "My love is like a cannonball, I'm takin' aim and you're gonna fall"; this may have been the 80s but come on.

While the band maybe struggling creatively, they are far from a spent force as a band. The band are still tight and able behind their instruments, which makes it a shame that they don't match their talent with worthwhile material. Stanley's voice is still strong and powerful, while Simmons holds his own for another album. Kulick and Carr enthuse the album with a carefree spirit, sounding like they're the only two who see KISS as a golden rather than simply a meal ticket at this point.

Crazy Nights sees the band find shallow water rather than dry land; a few great songs aside, the album is a mostly forgettable affair. Punctuated by songs of either outstanding quality or crap, much of the album is bland and stale retreads of former glories; I would stick to the three good songs and avoid the rest.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 5
Production: 8

Written by omne metallum | 28.05.2020

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 15 users
29.05.2020 - 16:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
My fav Kiss album is psycho circus , I did play it a lot when it was out.

70's music was not so hevay but whole bunch bands was better as 80's . Few 80's bands was heavy. Many unknown but this kiss and many rocjk, hair glam bands idea was for MTV to made more female audience to the genre and get more money. Its for kiss. I like your revive and insult here hehehe. seems they want put their dicks into x more as write good music. Its total burn out, boring pop sounding music.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.05.2020 - 16:10
JoHn Doe
A very well written review
I haven't listened to this album in quite a while, but I will give it a listen really soon.

edit - having listened to a few songs from it and the reviewer making me aware of the lyrical content, I understand the rating.
Unfortunately, KISS has made worse albums than this - the following album is much worse IMO
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
29.05.2020 - 18:07
Rating: 9
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Why do you expect good lyrics and solid albums from KISS?

I'm enjoying I'll Fight Hell To Hold You a lot. Overall this album still has a couple of pros, like the excellent sound quality, the incredible vocal range of Paul Stanley or the amazing solos. My Way, When Your Walls Come Down, Reason To Live, Good Girl Gone Bad and Turn On The Night are also decent to very good songs. That makes this album one of the most solid among KISS's discography in fact.

I don't understand how this is would be a subpar hairmetal piece. It is quite cheesy and reeks the 80s 200%, but if I had a single stupid hairmetal album to pick it would be this one.
----

Hits total: 1381 | This month: 11