Metal Storm logo
Canadian Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Puff, 08.07.2007 - 06:21
I've been checking out the BM sccene from my own country lately and find out a couple of great bands and im wishing to find more.
here are some of the bands that i know: Axis Of Advance, Akitsa, Rites Of Thy Degringolade, Sacramentory Abolishment, Conqueror, Blasphemy, Bloodaxe, Ouroboros Geihmre.

I may be forgetting some.

so if anyone as any band to share or just want to discuss about anything related to Canadian BM feel free to post
27.09.2007 - 14:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Anton Alcolust on 27.09.2007 at 09:53

i love the Canadian scene , but not the Quebec's black metal that i don't really know . Bands like Blasphemy , Conqueror , Revenge , Axis of Advance , Order from Chaos are some of my favourite (and all are with almost the same guys !) . Here in France , we haven't war/black metal bands like them , and it's a bit hard to find easily their release .
I know a bit about Quebec's black metal , and it's mainly in the vein of pagan/bm , it's not what i like the most ; but the few i have listened from it is with good cold ambiance .

Quebeck's BM a lot of bands sings in french
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.09.2007 - 10:27
Anton Alcolust

k7 : yes , they are pround of their language . and french sound good in black metal lyrics , but only for black metal . i don't like death/thrash/heavy band who sing in french , it's sound crap
----
A.M.S.G.
28.09.2007 - 10:58
GT
Coffee!!
I know that originally they're from Russia, but most of the Tvangeste members moved to Canada a couple of years back and still makes music. Anyway the music is really good
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
28.09.2007 - 12:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Anton Alcolust on 28.09.2007 at 10:27

k7 : yes , they are pround of their language . and french sound good in black metal lyrics , but only for black metal . i don't like death/thrash/heavy band who sing in french , it's sound crap

Only BM in Quebeck sings french other style bands use english
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.09.2007 - 17:50
Anton Alcolust

i speak for some french band (not bm) who sing in french ^^
----
A.M.S.G.
02.10.2007 - 03:51
orphy

Hahah @ someone mentioning Begrime again! That's crazy to see how many people here are into us... thanks!

@ Anton of picku: Order From Chaos?! That's American dude, not Canadian at all!

I'd have to say that Weapon and Gloria Diaboli are some of the best new bands to come out of my area (Edmonton). I hope Axis of Advance gets recording again soon... and Rites of Thy Degringolade is supposed to release one last EP even though they are broken up. I imagine Paul is busy with Warmarch (who rule). There are quite a lot of excellent black metal bands on the west side of Canada. Full support to all of them.
----
-orphy
02.10.2007 - 16:49
Anton Alcolust

@ orphy : ah right , that's just because it was with Pete Helmkamp who also play in the canadian's Revenge .
----
A.M.S.G.
03.10.2007 - 01:43
orphy

@ Anton of picku: Yeah, I figured that's how you got it confused. =)
----
-orphy
22.02.2008 - 15:24
FOOCK Nam

Love the raw sound of Revenge. I also love Woods Of Ypres and Wolfen Ancestry
15.03.2009 - 20:14
Canadian BM Lord
Account deleted
I can't believe no one has mentioned Circle of Ghosts on this thread. If anyone is interested in Creepishly Atmospheric riffs and all round blood slowing depression, I suggest you check them out, especially the EP Nex Per Cavum. The band is from Ontario but sounds nothing like the drab traditional sound of most Canadian BM bands. I will say its not for everyone, especially those whom prefer more of the Black/Thrash strain, but if you like Burzum-esque stuff then C.O.G is great. Plus the guy, Witchlord, is a fucking crazy fucked up man.

Other then Circle my fvourite Canadian Black metal bands would have to be the Quebec scene, Gris, Sombres Forets, Monarque, Akitsa, Sui Cadre, Revier Du Nord, etc...

Wolven Ancestry, Emperyan Plague, Dead of Winter, and all that are good, but way to generic.
Operation Winter Mist, Axis of Advance are great War Metal, we can pull of that subgenre pretty good.

Woods of Ypres are interesting because I like the fact they write about subjects that have to do with canada.

well, thats my two cents worth...
02.04.2009 - 17:25
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys

Yeah, we're proud of our language! ^^ C'est trop malade comme langue comparé au criss d'anglais. I guess I'll be kicked out just because I dared say something in Québécois... By the way, I don't know a single BM band from Québec, except maybe Unexpect, but they're a mix of a million things. And the only BM band I know that sings in French is Aes Dana. Anorexia Nervosa doesn't count, their French lyrics are so rare.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
02.04.2009 - 17:29
ForeverDarkWoods

Written by Bad English on 28.09.2007 at 12:13

That's because french is oddly fitting for bm and not very fitting for a lot of other styles. French bm vocals sound damn hateful when you do them right (and I don't even understand a damn word of it ).

I really love Canadian bm though. There seems to be so many good Canadian bands nowadays. Frozen Shadows, Gris etc are all very good. I especially like Frozen Shadows. Then of course there is the almight Blasphemy to hold the banner of true Canadian black metal high...
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
03.04.2009 - 01:03
BuzzPhil

Don't know if someone mention it... But there's Kataklysm from the Quebec BM scene. I very love this group.
03.04.2009 - 01:55
Lord_Regnier

Written by BuzzPhil on 03.04.2009 at 01:03

Don't know if someone mention it... But there's Kataklysm from the Quebec BM scene. I very love this group.

Kataklysm is not Black Metal at all. It's Death Metal. (Technical Brutal Death)
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
04.04.2009 - 15:31
BuzzPhil

Written by Lord_Regnier on 03.04.2009 at 01:55

Written by BuzzPhil on 03.04.2009 at 01:03

Kataklysm is not Black Metal at all. It's Death Metal. (Technical Brutal Death)

You're right. Sorry... Kataklysm is not Black Metal... Sorry for my mistake.
07.04.2009 - 02:09
Anton Alcolust

Written by MétalNoir on 02.04.2009 at 17:25

Yeah, we're proud of our language! ^^ C'est trop malade comme langue comparé au criss d'anglais. I guess I'll be kicked out just because I dared say something in Québécois... By the way, I don't know a single BM band from Québec, except maybe Unexpect, but they're a mix of a million things. And the only BM band I know that sings in French is Aes Dana. Anorexia Nervosa doesn't count, their French lyrics are so rare.

try Abyme :p they are french and sing generally in french myspace.com/abyme666 huhuhu
----
A.M.S.G.
07.04.2009 - 18:34
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Anton Alcolust on 07.04.2009 at 02:09

Written by MétalNoir on 02.04.2009 at 17:25

try Abyme :p they are french and sing generally in french myspace.com/abyme666 huhuhu

Merci!
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
07.04.2009 - 19:09
Feng

I think one of the best in the canada bm scene is Wolven Ancestry.... I think they're fantastic but I do know opinions differ about them, some people just view them as another amateur black metal band trying to be as evil as possible, but don't listen to those people!
One problem with them... the song names. http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=109557 Try and remember them. Go on.
08.04.2009 - 14:41
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Yeah, I also like Wolven Ancestry, but I had no idea that they are from Canada
08.04.2009 - 19:32
darkenthesky_ix

'Gris' have been mentioned, and are definitely worth checking out. They're one of my current favorite BM acts from Canada - along with Utlagr, Sorcier Des Glaces, Veneficium and Dark Forest, who are all definitely worth checking out. Utlagr and Sorcier Des Glaces play a more straight-forward Black Metal style, Veneficium play some pretty spectacular Symphonic Black Metal, and Dark Forest has more of a Pagan influence (just make sure you listen to the re-release of Aurora Borealis if you decide to check out Dark Forest). But they all have something pretty interesting about them.

Hope these suggestions help.
12.10.2009 - 18:49
Lord_Regnier

People who are looking for quality Canadian Black Metal should check Spirit Of The Forest and Pagan Hellfire.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
12.10.2009 - 18:57
ß
Problem?
Written by Lord_Regnier on 12.10.2009 at 18:49

People who are looking for quality Canadian Black Metal should check Spirit Of The Forest and Pagan Hellfire.

I second this.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
13.10.2009 - 02:23
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Bad English on 28.09.2007 at 12:13

Quebec has some quality BM bands, not quite as good as bands from France but, definitely some of the best BM to come out of Canada.
13.10.2009 - 03:07
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Yeah I've seen Spirit Of The Forest and Pagan Hellfire live in Montreal...Spirit Of The Forest's set was pretty sloppy but I really enjoyed Pagan Hellfire...both bands has crazy energy...
13.10.2009 - 03:14
wormdrink414

I really like Wolven Ancestry. I know they've been mentioned numerous times already, but if you haven't checked them out yet do now.
13.10.2009 - 17:19
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by wormdrink414 on 13.10.2009 at 03:14

I really like Wolven Ancestry. I know they've been mentioned numerous times already, but if you haven't checked them out yet do now.

Good band indeed. Their second release (new this year) entitled "Silence Of The Boreal" was a vast improvement to their debut "The Wrath Of Gaia". I always felt that TWOG was over processed, the drums seemed like they were synthetic, and Lord Defiler's vocals had too many effects on them but, the new album sounds much more natural, more tradional black metal sound but still a touch of their own. Great guys too, I had once "bumped" into Lord Defiler on the Demonoid community and he offered to upload TWOG for me, we talked for a little bit too before we both got busy, but he did invite me to hang out when they came to Seattle, I never took him up on that though.
15.12.2016 - 03:16
BEHEMOTH 1

Also sorciere des glaces, fortresse, sombres forets, gris, woods of ypres, and thrawsunblat.
12.03.2022 - 03:05
alebeam

/https://ruinedulac.bandcamp.com/

/https://ruinedulac.bandcamp.com/

Ruine Québécois BM/Post-Punk just released Révolte et Crânerie Paysanne.

This album is about modern life going backward, a certain minority in power that engage nation in brotherly war for their globalist agenda. Because he who hold power is the one who sought it. This is an album about collapsing and rebuilding. Because lets face it, we are about due for a deep scrub of our nation carpet.
All that with a glimpse of hope for what we are, who we are, and what we aim for.

Bon débarras!

Ruine