03. Lamenting Of The Innocent
04. Institoris
05. Where Spirits Die
06. Deliverance [feat. Johan Langqvist]
07. Age Of The Damned
08. Condemned
09. Dance With The Devil
10. Path To Perdition

The second coming of Sorcerer has seen them embrace a cleaner and more melodic epic doom sound, with the band largely renouncing the dark and raw output of their early days. The harsh vocals that are sporadically heard on Lamenting Of The Innocent do not change that fact, and this album is more on the polished and tame side.

Sorcerer continue to hit the sweet spot between Candlemass and Black Sabbath of the Tony Martin era. You can hear "A Cry From The Crypt" on the main riff of the excellent "The Hammer Of Witches" and the 'Sinneeeers!' scream on "Age Of The Damned" immediately brings to mind "Eternal Idol". Taking ideas from other songs and bands is not unheard of; as long as you use these ideas and evolve them by adding your own resourcefulness and meaning, it can be a thing that helps music's progress. As Nick Cave recently said: "We musicians all stand on the shoulders of each other, our pirate pockets rattling with booty, our heads exploding with repurposed ideas". And Sorcerer already did that on their previous two full-length albums with success.

Lamenting Of The Innocent, however, falls a bit short in two departments where The Crowning Of The Fire King triumphed: riffs and hooks. When they go for short and to-the-point heavy doom, like on "Institoris", they hit the bull's eye but Sorcerer's latest is focusing too much on a ballad-esque type of doom, with songs that at times feel overblown and lack sufficient bite. The recipe works beautifully on the title track, which has a truly exquisite chorus, and also on "Deliverance", which features the one and only Johan Längqvist as guest (and reminds me a little of "Planet Caravan"). However, the songs in general feel as though they were composed around memorable choruses - and every track has one of those - rather than memorable riffs.

I find that the guitar players are underused for no apparent reason. Although the soloing often impresses, particularly on the last two tracks, the riffs seem left behind. The focus is on the admittedly outstanding vocals and the songs are crafted in such a way as if their main purpose is to provide the least intrusive possible soundscape so that Engberg can shine; and he does shine bright alright. But, much like the case was in Leprous's album last year, just a voice alone, no matter how stellar or divine or otherworldly it may be, cannot keep a one-hour-long album captivating throughout its runtime.

Lamenting Of The Innocent is not a disaster of course; far from it. However, it neither finds Sorcerer returning to their root sound of three decades ago which I personally prefer, nor does it meet the very high expectations that arose due to The Crowning Of The Fire King being one of the best releases of the past decade.

"Where have the brave and the heroes gone
They left us in solitude
And we stand alone
Shattered by despair"

Written on 24.06.2020 by Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

Guest review by
tominator
Rating:
Since I did a review of Sorcerer's previous album, I'd figure I could do one for their 2020 release as well. Did Lamenting Of The Innocent live up to the high expectations I had set for it? For the most part, yes. Let's discuss in further detail, shall we?

Read more ››
published 23.08.2020 | Comments (0)

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 70 users
24.06.2020 - 09:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Swedish heroes goes to north america nhl or Valhalla... But i like This album, its a bit Avatarium adult orientated. You need listen it more to understand it. This to me was most hardest get into doom band
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.06.2020 - 11:36
Rating: 8
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
The 6th track is obviously my fav
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
25.06.2020 - 23:38
nikarg

Written by Bad English on 24.06.2020 at 09:39

Swedish heroes goes to north america nhl or Valhalla... But i like This album, its a bit Avatarium adult orientated. You need listen it more to understand it. This to me was most hardest get into doom band

I definitely prefer Avatarium's latest to this one.

Written by RaduP on 24.06.2020 at 11:36

The 6th track is obviously my fav

Mine too, along with the title track.
04.09.2021 - 11:21
Rating: 8
tintinb

It is epic, and yeah not a lot of steller riffs. The 1st two songs and the last one is really good.
----
Leeches everywhere.

Hits total: 1411 | This month: 11