Act 3
08. Overture / Rex Tremendae / I Saw The World's End
09. Salvation In Flame / Confutatis
10. Finale: Hangman's Hymn / In Paradisum / Das Ende

11. Hangman's Preview [Japanese bonus]
12. Introitus [demo] [Japanese bonus]
13. Inked In Blood [demo] [Japanese bonus]
14. Me-Devil [demo] [Japanese bonus]

What defines Black Metal? What defines music as being avant-garde? Hell, I cannot pinpoint one specific musical trait that would answer those questions. On the other hand, I could play you the latest album from Sigh. That should take care of those annoying questions. Some say Sigh is not Black Metal anymore, in the form, they are right. But the intent, the root of their psycho music is the essence of Black Metal. I am talking about fear. Hangman's Hymn is downright scary.

It is my first encounter with the Japanese outfit, but they seem to be out there in terms of creativity. Those relentless vocals, or should I say shrieks, layered upon fast tempo are a lot more terrifying than classic Black Metal shrieks. The first image that came to mind upon hearing this was a choir of dead children. As the vocals work on one's psyche, the rest of the music sounds like a speedup 80's horror movie, and it works. Overall, Hangman's Hymn is a fascinating piece of music. It has become one of my regular listens ever since I first played it. This nightmare in three acts is fast and furious, unleashing its melodic stench with deadly accuracy. The feeling is comparable to enjoying eating a rotten apple.

This is not an album for everyone. The music isn't brutal but any means but Hangman's Hymn is a terrifying and terrific album for those who know what to listen for. If you follow trends, there is not a chance in the world that you will even consider listening to this stuff. If you are a self-taught listener, Sigh is out there to get you. Check it out.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 10
Production: 8

Written on 09.07.2007 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Guest review by
Goat-Christ
Rating:
N/A
Where to start?

"Hangman's Hymn" is probably one of the greatest releases in the genre of Black Metal since Mayhem's "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas". The concept of the album (from what I can tell) is about a criminal or extremely indulgent sinner's last thoughts and memories before the floor drops out from under him with a noose around his neck.

Read more ››
published 25.05.2008 | Comments (7)

Comments

Comments: 19   Visited by: 129 users
09.07.2007 - 12:27
Basso
Account deleted
This album is great, but imo its sound is more like oldschool Kreator with a backing symphony
10.07.2007 - 00:01
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Great review!
10.07.2007 - 12:41
Rating: 8
HardSide

Excellent album, if you liked the last one, you'll love this one.
10.07.2007 - 19:58
silenius

its a truly great album, but in my eyes it got nothing to do with black metal at all i must say, leaning more to the trash/melodic death way but at the same not at all:P well, i cant say that his voice sounds so great, sounds like a couple of hundred more singers out there. well its a great album thats found its own sound in a way or two, but didnt think the voice fitt in so much
18.07.2007 - 20:50
Rating: 9
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
When I first heard this album, I thought it was by far the best thing to come out this year. After a few more listens, I don´t like it as much as I first did for some reason.

The last two songs are super sweet.
26.08.2007 - 11:36
FOAD
Account deleted
This is a great album. Very good review. Everything stated rings true. I actually feel this is much blacker than the last few Sigh releases but that's just me.
12.02.2008 - 00:52
Rating: 9
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
This album is one of my favorite albums. Sure its not exactly brutal but theres just a sheer driving force behind alot of the songs.
20.10.2008 - 19:41
Rating: 10
Nicko's Nose

Awesome album from one of the best bands ever!

Does Tulkas. (a member here) have something personal against them (Sigh) or what? He gave 1 to their entire discography! What a fucking loser.
12.11.2009 - 21:27
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I'm not so impressed by this album, it sounds like a thrash metal version of Unexpect... If you want awesome extreme avantgarde metal, try Unexpect's "In A Flesh Aquarium" or Le Grand Gignol's "The Great Madenning". THAT'S wacky symphonic BM.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
24.11.2009 - 21:33
Rating: 7
Fat & Sassy!

Did anyone else, beside the reviewer, find this album "scary"? I like it, but the lyrics and stuff are way too cheesy to be "frightening".
24.11.2009 - 21:50
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 24.11.2009 at 21:33

Did anyone else, beside the reviewer, find this album "scary"? I like it, but the lyrics and stuff are way too cheesy to be "frightening".

Same here.
The album was okay, I really liked a few songs but the rest just weren't good enough (for me).
24.11.2009 - 22:02
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Ragana on 24.11.2009 at 21:50

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 24.11.2009 at 21:33

Same here.
The album was okay, I really liked a few songs but the rest just weren't good enough (for me).

I know. During the one song when they chant, "Don't/Forget/You're soul belongs to us!" I just imagine cute little gargoyle demons trying to scare me. XP

Honestly, the only really impressive album I've heard by this band is Imaginary Sonicscape. It's a little weird and hard to get into at times, but I like it a lot.
24.11.2009 - 22:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 24.11.2009 at 22:02

I know. During the one song when they chant, "Don't/Forget/You're soul belongs to us!" I just imagine cute little gargoyle demons trying to scare me. XP

Like a soundtrack to Nightmares Before Christmas? yeah... I understand

Although I do enjoy this cd very much, it's just funny to listen to.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.11.2009 - 22:48
Fat & Sassy!

Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.11.2009 at 22:46

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 24.11.2009 at 22:02

Like a soundtrack to Nightmares Before Christmas? yeah... I understand

EXACTLY. That's a good example.
24.11.2009 - 22:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 24.11.2009 at 22:48

NBC was pretty gay though... This guys are funny but they still have some balls
----
Rod, let me love you.
24.11.2009 - 23:06
Fat & Sassy!

Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.11.2009 at 22:49

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 24.11.2009 at 22:48

NBC was pretty gay though... This guys are funny but they still have some balls

Heeeeeeyyyy! I like that movie. D:< It was very imaginative.
24.11.2009 - 23:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 24.11.2009 at 23:06

yeah.. that's true... But you see, the movie was good, but I hated the fact that it became an icon for those "gothic/emo/things" that you see in the streets with bags/t-shirt/masks(!) with Jack's face [or skull if you want to me more specific]
----
Rod, let me love you.
24.11.2009 - 23:12
Fat & Sassy!

Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.11.2009 at 23:08

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 24.11.2009 at 23:06

yeah.. that's true... But you see, the movie was good, but I hated the fact that it became an icon for those "gothic/emo/things" that you see in the streets with bags/t-shirt/masks(!) with Jack's face [or skull if you want to me more specific]

It's like that with any cult-hit... But I can't dislike a movie/band because of it... Unless I already dislike it. Then I'll hate it more. >:[
24.11.2009 - 23:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 24.11.2009 at 23:12

It's like that with any cult-hit... But I can't dislike a movie/band because of it... Unless I already dislike it. Then I'll hate it more. >:[

I think that it's good... but very overrated.

Oh yeah... it's a Sigh Review... Sigh rocks(?)
----
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 6967 | This month: 3