03. More [Sisters Of Mercy cover]
04. Innocence
05. Scarred Forever
06. In The Night
07. Rough Stone
08. Iron Soul
09. Trail Of Tears
10. Born To Be

I will always remember the split of Angra, damn it was one of my favourite band but well when I think about it now, when I see the different releases of the two bands, I don't feel so bad actually. "Ritual" was a good first release with a lot of Hits on it and I suppose that a lot of would like to know if the new album of the Brazilian combo "Reason" will follow the way of their first shout? Don't worry that's the case but with some differences however?

The first big difference is the name of the band, you're all reading well, that's Shaaman now and not Shaman!!! That's just a little detail but in my opinion maybe that it's also showing that the band is changing, that the band is taking a new road. I mean that "Ritual" was the "same music" than Angra, do you know "Time Will Come" or "Distant Thunder" is it not in the spirit of Angra? I think so, but with "Reason" that not the exactly the same, the album is a bit more progressive and the songs are also a bit more complex. That's not so direct as the first album and not so easy to enter in the album but it doesn't mean that it is bad at the opposite.

Another time we have the luck to have some powerful songs like "Turn Away" and some nice ballads like "Innocence" (the album follow the classical form, Heavy speedy songs and break with ballads). The album is one more time really varied but not so easy of access as I said before, and maybe that some of the songs will not be so efficient live. That's something that I want to see because "Reason" is darker than "Ritual" and a bit sad actually and that's not a surprise if we have an amazing cover of the hit of the Sisters Of Mercy "More". This song actually can be considered as a good definition of this album, really dark and deep but catchy and above all classy. One more time the talented Andre Matos and his band mates prove that they are bests among the bests.

"Reason" doesn't suffer of any production problem, the sound (Sacha Paeth's work), like the musical plays of the artist are perfect and no doubt that this album will finish in the Top 5 of the best Progressive/Power release of the year. The Brazilian act just confirms its great potentiality and "Reason" confirms all the hopes that I had after the release of "Ritual". That's a must no doubt?

Written by Jeff | 10.05.2005

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 41 users
29.05.2006 - 02:40
Pianoman
Account deleted
This album is diferent. But it rox too, and awesome work of andre matos that is singing heavier than before.
There are always best songs in an album. For me in this are:
Innocence, Trail of Tears, Reason, Rough Stone and the awesome and classy Born To Be.
29.06.2006 - 00:39
Pianoman
Account deleted
Awesome album is totally different it desearves a 10. Is more catchy and heavy. Every piece in this album is great.
02.09.2006 - 04:48
Cloud Strife
Account deleted
I don't know why but here in Brazil, it seems that just me have loved this album, and like it more than "Ritual'.
Not just Andre sing better, but the drums, guitars, bass, keys... everything seems to be better. That is what I think.
And my favorite songs are Reason (perfect), Innocence (a ballad, but I like it) and Born to Be (I don't know why, but it stay in my head)
02.11.2006 - 21:32
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I miss their old sound, but still a great album!! 2nd best of 2005 (after Opeth) for me. 8.7/10
04.07.2007 - 21:59
Rating: 7
Grey_Dandelion

Enough below Ritual unfortunately...seems to me just a common album without much passion and a feeling of boredom..no more than 7.5
----
Don't turn away just take my hand and when you make your final stand i ll be right there i ll never leave all i ask of you is believe...
24.07.2007 - 20:06
Arcaliz666
Account deleted
It's a very diferent album, other airs are breathed....... I believe that Ritual is much better.
14.06.2009 - 05:12
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Guest on 02.09.2006 at 04:48

I don't know why but here in Brazil, it seems that just me have loved this album, and like it more than "Ritual'.
Not just Andre sing better, but the drums, guitars, bass, keys... everything seems to be better. That is what I think.
And my favorite songs are Reason (perfect), Innocence (a ballad, but I like it) and Born to Be (I don't know why, but it stay in my head)

I know. This album suffers some depreciation in its own home land, its considered a step back in their career.

There are better songs than the two you noted. The tribal atmosphere on ''Born to be'', ''Rough stone'' and 'In the night'' makes these three the highlighst to me.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
20.06.2009 - 16:45
Rating: 9
BlankFile

André Matos really slowed down the music style of the band with this one. Altough its a very interesting CD, its not enough to consider it a step forward in the evolution of the band at the time. They´ve started incredibly well with "Ritual" and this album was kind of a letdown, when comparing it to "Ritual". Anyway it has its amazing moments, altough "Ritual" is much better.
30.06.2009 - 17:40
Rating: 8
Mountain King
K i K o
Innocence is great

Hits total: 6410 | This month: 19