Style: Depressive black metal
Release date: February 2008

01. I
02. II
03. III
04. IV
05. V
06. VI

It doesn't necessarily take a historian to describe the boom of black metal witnessed at the turn of the century. "True" black metal was in its pre-teens; new ideas were still warm and malleable, and everyone wanted a hand in their creations. Coupled with the rapid advancement of technology for both consumer and creator, music?as a whole?was arguably at its most accessible. Metal spread like wildfire within online communities, and would-be black metallers donning cliched pseudonyms lifted from Tolkein tales or the thesaurus entries under "evil" would give way to quite an extensive catalogue of metal-by-number discographies that possessed little intrigue and even less retainability.

Since 1999, Brocken Moon has accrued an array of quasi-inspired and inconsistent demos?most of which have been re-pooled and re-released as wholly unnecessary compilations?as well as two full-length albums of unique material (insofar as previously unreleased as a demo). Whilst their demos, compilations, and most recent work (the now nine-year-old Hoffnungslos) are predominantly forgettable, Das Märchen Vom Schnee is nestled between the nonsense, providing arguably the only worthwhile listening experience in a discography that spans over a decade. While so many failed projects died clinging to the coattails of their forefathers, Brocken Moon somehow skirted this fate on Das Märchen Vom Schnee by clinging to the coattails of not just one, but? well, most of them really.

If I had to attribute Brocken Moon's career-wide failures to one characteristic, it'd be their inconsistency rather than their genericity. Songwriting duties early on were all over the place, which would ultimately lead to demos sounding disjointed and convoluted. Occasionally, good ideas would stumble their way in, yet discordance in regards to brevity and its application would either run the aforementioned appeal into the ground, or it would not be afforded the necessary measures to evolve and come to fruition, resulting in haphazard structuring and flow. With their reputation of holding too tightly onto genre tropes, often stretching them thin and wearing out their welcome, I find it peculiar that Das Märchen Vom Schnee, for all of its many levels of genericity, would be such a satisfying endeavor.

Perhaps its most notable feature, comparatively, is its coherence. Aside from it being the outfit's first full-length release not consisting of previously written or recorded material, it's also the first with uniformity in its writing and recording. Being a self-proclaimed "fairytale", tracks are presented to us without titles; each piece is a part of a larger story rather than a standalone track, which provides a more structured and cohesive flow from start to finish. Humanhater?despite being more infamously known for his juvenile pseudonym and numbskullery in defacing Jewish graves?does a rather commendable job in providing a dynamic backbone through his production and mixing values. The overall sound is a bit par for the course, albeit feeling a bit disingenuous in its bleakness at times; however, instruments are mixed aptly and wholly audible across the spectrum, rarely feeling drowned or lost even as their roles shift through the compositions.

"Genericity" is a word that has been used here more than once, and unavoidably so. The fact is nigh-impossible to ignore. Nevertheless, what Brocken Moon gives to us here is a grab bag of generic ideas presented with a touch of eccentricism in their arrangements that dissipates much of the tedium that plagued their back catalogue. From the orthodoxical and melodic riff stylings of mid-90s Norwegian black metal to glistening, nature-driven neo-folk passages; from pensive, sprawling soundscapes of Slavic atmospheric black metal to the depressive howlings and trance-like lingering guitar passages akin to the DSBM scene? Das Märchen Vom Schnee is a whirlwind of influence, dancing from sound-to-sound, often multiple times in a given track without feeling disjointed or overtly forced or formulaic. Individual passages suffer a bit from predictability, though slight refuge can be found through subtle tempo changes and off-kilter drum beats that alter the pacing when stylistic variances would otherwise feel unwarranted; notwithstanding, there's very little done to save its monotonous monolith of an insipid closer that rattles off the same shimmering arpeggiated chord for twenty minutes, offering little of interest outside of maybe three total minutes where there's a sparse accompaniment of ambient synth. Remember that brevity issue? I hate to resort to adage, but I guess old habits truly do die hard.

From an objective standpoint, I find little actually wrong with Das Märchen Vom Schnee outside of its absolutely asinine outro. The production, though a bit disingenuous at times, is well-suited to carry the compositions it seeks to accentuate. The instrumentations are modest and coalesce into very functional pieces that offer a modicum of memorability through subtle rhythmic variances and pantheons of stylistic influence. Its biggest downfall is being nearly a decade too late for any of its components to feel fresh, though I suppose that having just enough eccentricity to differentiate it from the fathoms of facsimiles that spawned alongside it is admirable enough in its own sense and, at the very least, keeps it from the trash bin of black metal history.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written by brimarsh | 25.08.2020

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 23 users
26.08.2020 - 00:49
musclassia

Congrats on your first review, really well written! I'd not actually heard of this band before your review; this doesn't inspire me to give them a go (particularly the dull 20-minute closer; getting flashbacks to Lulu), but if it's as generic as you say, I've probably heard it already in a hundred other albums
26.08.2020 - 01:00
Rating: 7
brimarsh

Thank you! I just recently (in the past month or so) started writing album reviews. I've done it in the past, but none have ever turned into anything other than drafts up until now. So it's nice to hear some kind words toward something I'm a novice at.

As for the album itself: if you've got about 30 minutes of free time (opt out of the closing track entirely), it's really not a bad listen. It's just hard to get really excited about wholly generic ideas, even if they're presented as aptly as Brocken Moon does here.
26.08.2020 - 11:41
no one

Good review, I'm going to have to listen to some brocken moon after reading this, it's been a long time.
----
Unable to connect to the database
26.08.2020 - 16:33
brimarsh

Written by no one on 26.08.2020 at 11:41

Good review, I'm going to have to listen to some brocken moon after reading this, it's been a long time.

Some of their demo work was passable, but I forgot just how much better this album was comparatively until I sat down with it again to review it. Thanks for taking the time to read! Cheers.
27.08.2020 - 14:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Those 20 Demo bands 18 of their Demo is non sence, better put 2 demos one album, whit real drums, good mix, sound out as be kvlt kylt tr00 grimface Warrior what lives from social benefits.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.08.2020 - 16:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Bad English on 27.08.2020 at 14:57

Those 20 Demo bands 18 of their Demo is non sence, better put 2 demos one album, whit real drums, good mix, sound out as be kvlt kylt tr00 grimface Warrior what lives from social benefits.

They do it purely for aesthetic purposes. It's an image thing and I agree that it's ridiculous. If they were actually concerned with creating interesting music worth sharing then they'd focus their efforts on writing worthwhile material. Should be quality over quantity, not the inverse.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.08.2020 - 17:05
brimarsh

Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.08.2020 at 16:24

They do it purely for aesthetic purposes. It's an image thing and I agree that it's ridiculous. If they were actually concerned with creating interesting music worth sharing then they'd focus their efforts on writing worthwhile material. Should be quality over quantity, not the inverse.

Brocken Moon isn't quite as bad as some of those bedroom bands with 80 demos recorded in one take on their grandfather's tape recorder, but they do have five demos that they re-released twice. It all seems a bit unnecessary to me.

Humanhater (the "face" of Brocken Moon) coincidentally enough saw very little writing responsibility on this album compared to their demos and subsequent full-length release; the "guest" musicians of Brocken Moon are credited with the songwriting. I think it's rather funny that the band's guest musicians wrote their only worthwhile album.
27.08.2020 - 17:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.08.2020 at 16:24

To me its like cadettes worship. One of worst way to listen music. Same here, i Never get, you wsist time fog 100 people, in good quality music you can get 300 n more ppl listen.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.08.2020 - 04:08
no one

kvlt kylt tr00 grimface Warrior what lives from social benefits.

----
Unable to connect to the database

Hits total: 785 | This month: 4